16 replies to this topic

#1 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:04 PM

at x-mas last year my daughter said that she wanted a gun to go hunting with me well we went to get a muzzleloader for her and noone had any (was mozzleloading season) so we went to wally world and she picked out a 12 guage and when they ran the backround check they said that I had to wait till Jan 4th to get it no biggie it was going to be here when she came for spring break we went to get it and they said sorry we turned our license in on the 1st so we dont have any guns any more well Heather went and picked her up yesterday(sat) and today we went to bass pro and was looking at muzzleloaders and found 3 that fit her real nice and she liked but she kept going back to the one and we ended up with another smoke pole in the house it was 119 for it so now the details its a 50 cal traditions tracker just something basic for her to start with and I have a 50 cal so we wont have to buy exrtas for it and when one of us needs something we can borrow from each other untill we get to the store (primers, sabbots, cleaning supplies ect....)
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:20 PM

Nice! How all she has to do is kill something with it! Congratulations.
-Eric

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:43 PM

I am sure the Tradition's Tracker will work just fine for her. Working up a good load and a little practice and then she can see if she can outshoot you...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:44 PM

Congratulations to your daughter. I sure hope that she realizes that muzzleloading hunting is addictive for life.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

In Ohio we can mount scopes on it and its already tapped and ready for it so I will get a scope for hers and mine this summer and get them ready for this fall and winter hunting and hopefully she will get her 1st kill and will be bitten by the bug and and Ill have a partner for life to enjoy the experiences with

Posted Image

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:06 PM

Now your talking. That would be so cool.

#7 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:50 PM

now with that said I was thinking of what I should start her at with the charge I was thinking 50-60 just for her to get used to it and as shes more comfortable with it bumping it up a bit slowly and eventually getting her up to 120-125 for deer season this summer I will put a scope on it with a see through set of ring risers this way I can set it up the way I like to and that is anything closer then 50 yards she can use the iron sites and with the scope have it set at 75-100 yards duel sites that way and IMO easier to use and learn that way

Posted Image

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:36 PM

Actually 80 grains and a 245 gr powerbelt should not be too brutal of recoil and still very accurate. It should be all the gun she needs for 125 yards or so if she can place her shot. Another load would be 80 grains and a 240 or 300 grain XTP. Again, low recoil and normally a very accurate load. Also the XTP is a real deer killer. They hit, penetrate, expand, and do lots of damage.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:20 PM

Irinman I have hunted since 1976 with a muzzleloader during our muzzy seasons. I have killed deer with a patched round ball, a TC maxi ball, a 245 gr powerbelt and 240 gr and 300 gr Hornady XTP's My load for most of these projectiles is different than the other as to amount of powder. I have killed deer with as little as 60 grains of powder and as much as 80 grains of powder. I currently load my one flintlock with 90 grains of 3f black powder but have yet to kill a deer with that load. I have yet to feel the need for any more power than that even at 100 yards.

#10 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:14 AM

I have a cva eclipse and the manual says 90-100 for a regular load and 150 for a magnum load being new to black powder I was using that to guide me her new one also says the same but I know from other posts have said use as little as 50 for targets I was thinking because shes not shot tons and is still kinda shy about guns starting her with lower loads and getting her used to it and over coming the shyness and being more comfortable in knowing what it will do and not shutter when shes getting ready to shoot it jerking when she shoots it etc..

Posted Image

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:15 AM

A group of muzzleloading people (12 of them) from another forum just got back from a wild boar hunt in Tennessee. They were shooting 70 grains of Goex 3f, Triple Se7en 3f, or Swiss 3f and conicals ranging from 460 & 500 grain in the .504 and the .451 caliber were 488 grain. Of course they were shooting White Rifles.

With 70 grains of Swiss 3f and a 460 grain conical a person was able to shoot completly through a VERY LARGE Russian Boar, side to side. The boar went 30 yards and dropped. Another took a huge sow that dropped in her tracks because they shot her in the side of the head. Shot placement is a very important part of all of this.

So it all boils down to.. a lot of people shoot far more powder then they need. The trouble is many of the new inlines have been designed to shoot best with 100 grains and in some cases more, of powder for sabots. When you look at conicals and roundball, they do not need to be pushed as hard as other projectiles. Sabots need the most fps simply so they can perform the way the manufacturer wanted them to.

Conicals are one of my favorite projectiles. Even when pushed at 1400 fps because of their weight they have massive energy and impressive killing power.

#12 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:22 AM

thanks cayugad as I said being new and what the manuals say is what i was doing now Im understanding more that those are just suggested again I didnt want to very from what they said in the manuals not knowing if it would harm the gun or void warenty or whatnot jsut being more cautiouse then I need to be I guess LOL

Posted Image

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:46 AM

I regularly shoot my xtp's in sabots with only 80 Grains of powder. I get excellent accuracy and excellent penetration. My last deer was shot with 80 gr of powder and a 300 gr XTP. The distance was only about 20 yds and apparantly the deer was angling towards me more than I thought. I hit her in the boiler room and the bullet traveled back through her exited her lower flank and finally lodged in her lower leg where I found it. It had a perfect mushroom and measured over .64. I figured that bullet had travelled over 2 1/2 feet inside the deer. I could not ask for any better action from a load or a bullet. You can shoot much more powder but you don't usually get much more performance. What you do get is much more recoil which can produce accuracy problems. I do not believe I am particularly sensitive to recoil but even with 90 grains of powder from a light weight rifle the first thing I perceived was the recoil. If I were introducing someone to our sport I sure would keep those loads down around 60 grains to start. I would then increase the load by 5 grains until the rifle tells me its best grouping. Usually going above that load the accuracy will begin to go away. A rifle may exhibit a liking for a particular projectile and not like anything else. Then again the rifle may acceptably shoot a variety of bullets. You just have to do some testing but that is a lot of fun.

#14 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:48 AM

Posted Image

I have a CVA Staghorn Magnum that is nothing more then the next step in the CVA line under the Eclipse. My rifle has a RED DOT 1X scope on it. As long as I keep the loads between 90-100 grains this rifle will really shoot. It shoots Shockwaves real well and 245 gr aero tip powerbelts with 90 grains excellent. This is all that is needed for most anything I want to hunt.

I'd even hunt elk with 100 grains and shockwaves..

Good luck with your Eclipse..

#15 Whitefeatherwoman

Whitefeatherwoman

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:13 PM

Hey FYI: I am a better shot with Irinman2424's 50 Cal. than he his, with the 150 grain mag. load!! I rock!!
I would rather be on a lake thinking about God,
then sitting in a church thinking about fishing.

(unknown)

www.myspace.com/heatherapowell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users