#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:07 PM

Our new computer has Vista installed. It seems like an awesome operating system from coming off XP. I just have one gripe (for now). I just bought a new MP3 player and without looking or asking, I thought it would work just fine on Vista. I put the installation CD in and get a message that says that it only works on XP. Now my question: is it possible to install XP on top of Vista? Or maybe getting rid of vista and re-installing XP if it wouldn't be too much work? I think my opinion on Vista is going sour now because I'm sure if my MP3 player won't work none of my Video Games will work either :doh: $150 down the drain :(

thanks for the help
ERic
-Eric

#2 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:24 PM

Eric, go to the Vista forums at the link below, they have answers to your question.
http://thevistaforums.com/index.phptaforums.com/index.

I have used this forum and find it very helpful.
I have seen the exact question you ask with answers. Good luck, but don't give up on Vista to quick, check out the website for the software you have, many companies have updates available to work with Vista.
Posted Image
Queen of the Great White North and Woody
Rolling Castle Blog

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:56 AM

Now my question: is it possible to install XP on top of Vista? Or maybe getting rid of vista and re-installing XP if it wouldn't be too much work?

Short answer: No.
Long Answer: Installing XP now would involve completely wiping the hard drive. This is because inserting an XP install CD now will only render a message similar to, "The current Operating System of this computer is newer than the one on this CD". As far as a dual install... Two operating systems on the same hard drive is ill-advised. If you have a second internal hard drive (or have the slot to install one and do so) you can install XP on that secondary hard drive. From that point on, you and all users of the computer will then receive a message on each start-up asking which OS you desire to boot from. (This may be an issue if anyone using the computer is not particularly computer savvy.) Truthfully, a dual install is likely not the desired solution. This tends to be reserved for professionals who's livelihood or office hinge upon having software and hardware that works properly; Not for home use compatibility issues.

I just bought a new MP3 player and without looking or asking, I thought it would work just fine on Vista. I put the installation CD in and get a message that says that it only works on XP.

Contact the manufacturer of the MP3 player / visit their website.
Even though it is a "new" MP3 player, unless it just hit the market within the last two months the installation CD would not be Vista-Ready. If it is indeed a relatively new player, then the manufacturer will have updated installation software either available for download on their website or available on CD via snail-mail by request.

I think my opinion on Vista is going sour now because I'm sure if my MP3 player won't work none of my Video Games will work either :doh: $150 down the drain :(

It is entirely possible that your games may not work. For some, you may only need to visit the manufacturer's website again for patches and updates to make them work. For other older games, they may simply be done for.

All told, an OS upgrade is usually "worth" whatever a home user may lose in software. This is because eventually you will have no choice but to upgrade to the latest OS anyway if you value things such as surfing the Internet "securely" and future software/hardware compatibility. Also, a stand-alone copy of Windows Vista retails between ~$200 & ~$400. So, trashing the OS to save even a couple hundred dollars of software/hardware is really only throwing away even more money.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:16 PM

Jer, if I ever meet you in person I might just hug you (in a friendly sort of way). Thanks Jer and Patsy, I'm on Samsung's website right now and I'll let you konw what happens.

Thank you!!!
Eric
-Eric

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:03 PM

Success!!! I just downloaded the revised software for Vista and she works now! Thanks for all the help!

Eric
-Eric

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:44 PM

Success!!! I just downloaded the revised software for Vista and she works now! Thanks for all the help!

Eric

:bigthumb:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users