• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:11 PM

Is baiting deer legal in your state? Would you/Do you hunt over bait? Are there restrictions as to how much you can put out? I hunt in Wisconsin, 26 counties in the southern 1/3 of the state had a ban on baiting last year, pretty much covered the CWD areas, the other 2/3s of the state, baiting was legal. Bait may not be larger than 2 gallons, so a grocery bag full of corn may be too much according to law. I guess I would hunt over it if I thought it made a difference, but with all the natural food sources around, a little tiny pile of corn don't seem to me to be worth the effort.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:08 PM

As soon as the deer associate the bait with hunters, they only eat it at night. IME, it takes getting busted on the stand only once. Baiting has been legal here for ages. It has it's place and usefulness. But if that's all you know how to do, your season is pretty short.
Posted Image

#3 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:32 PM

They have just pasted regs to allow baiting here in pa only in special regulation areas that are by the cities where they'd already tried the shotgun,bow & black powder only regs with as many doe tags as you want season. They've done that for along time & they still have a over population. Problem is their either on private land (which is why they now allow baiting so you can draw them off the private land) or they put on a cloaking device to disapear during the day. I've found tons of tracks, fresh droppings & no deer till legal time ends.but the woods in the spec regs areas are hunted hard. so they're as smart as a deer can get down here in 5c. They only allow the baiting on private land at this time so I cant bait. I would in the special reg area but not anywhere else if it was legal.

Edited by Whitetiger, 03 April 2007 - 01:33 PM.

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:33 PM

As soon as the deer associate the bait with hunters, they only eat it at night. IME, it takes getting busted on the stand only once. Baiting has been legal here for ages. It has it's place and usefulness. But if that's all you know how to do, your season is pretty short.

In Ohio it's legal and like Leo it's got its uses. I hunt place in southern Ohio that has neighbors that hunt the deer and have no food source on their property. With the baiting program on this property we pull deer to this property in early season before gun season starts. Once gun season starts it pretty much pushes the deer clear out of the area for the most part. We try not to hunt over the man made bait like Leo referenced and hunt over some natural sources like acorns and other sources.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:55 PM

It's highly illegal here in Missouri. You can bait for photography or feed to supliment a food source as long as the bait or feed is removed 10 days prior to archery, and firearms seasons. You can even be busted if caught hunting in an area that's baited even if you were not aware that it was. You can, how ever, put out mineral blocks and salt blocks. What I've yet to understand though, is that food plots are not only legal but the Conservation Department puts them out itself. Isn't that a form of baiting? I'm glad they're ok, but it just seems a bit contradictory. Only thing I can see is that a food plot is considered a natural food source where as a pile of corn or apples is not.

#6 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:21 PM

Illegal in Indiana. You may put out bait, but must be at least 100 yards from the bait. If you intend to hunt a bait spot the bait must be cleaned up for at least 10 days prior to hunting. I think it's silly - I hunt other food sources including corn fields, but that's not baiting. Dumb.

I've hunted pigs with feeders and it's not as easy as you think. Really big pigs will not come to them ever. In Florida once they get about 200 lbs they're done with baits. Busted once and they're done during daylight regardless of size.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#7 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:10 PM

Illegal in Wyoming for any big game animals.

But IMO if it isn't illegal in your state then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#8 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

here you can hunt a baited area only if its been cleared out more then 10 days before hunting it
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#9 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:37 PM

Only thing I can see is that a food plot is considered a natural food source where as a pile of corn or apples is not.

Norm I agree 100% but we plant those plots so it's just like the corn or apples. :hmm: :huh:

Illegal here in PA but I don't have a problem with the states that allow it. ;)
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#10 huntfromthesoul

huntfromthesoul

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:56 AM

Mudduck, I heard from a DNR person that Wi. is going to ban baiting state wide. I also heard that another like 20 units are going to be earn a buck. As for the baiting issue...... I'll probably get in trouble here but I think its a lazy way to hunt. Deer are going to eat no matter what. Why not take the time to find there feeding areas and get yourself set up on trails between it and their bedding areas. Lets remember that we're HUNTING.
I choose to live simple so those who can't can simply live

#11 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:07 AM

Mudduck, I heard from a DNR person that Wi. is going to ban baiting state wide. I also heard that another like 20 units are going to be earn a buck. As for the baiting issue...... I'll probably get in trouble here but I think its a lazy way to hunt. Deer are going to eat no matter what. Why not take the time to find there feeding areas and get yourself set up on trails between it and their bedding areas. Lets remember that we're HUNTING.

Not everyone has hunting access to a piece of land that supports a natural food source throughout the season.

IME, if there is a natural food source nearby, especially acorns you are wasting your money baiting. Deer will eat acorns over ANY bait a hunter may try to use for deer. They simply prefer acorns over anything else.

To bait effectively, quite a bit of work and time is involved. You simply can't throw up a feeder and expect success. You have to put the bait where the deer already are frequenting. You have to time it's use so it's not competing with a natural food source. You have to return, refill, and decide if the time to hunt it is right. The number of times you can effectively hunt a baited area are limited.

The more deer that are exposed to the technique the less effective it is.
Posted Image

#12 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:32 AM

Legally in Wisconsin, You can only have 2 gallons of bait out. Period. Half a 5 gallon bucket, less than a grocery bag, it ain't that much, and it certainly isn't enough to"keep" a deer herd on ones property or to Alter their movements. I have never hunted deer over bait, never felt compelled to, and never thought it was worth the effort to haul it in each day. I do understand though that others bait, I am fine with that, as long as they keep it legal-2 gallons. The problem seems to be that a certain number of individuals can't seem to accurately estimate what 2 gallons is.

#13 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:57 AM

Legally in Wisconsin, You can only have 2 gallons of bait out. Period. Half a 5 gallon bucket, less than a grocery bag, it ain't that much, and it certainly isn't enough to"keep" a deer herd on ones property or to Alter their movements. I have never hunted deer over bait, never felt compelled to, and never thought it was worth the effort to haul it in each day. I do understand though that others bait, I am fine with that, as long as they keep it legal-2 gallons. The problem seems to be that a certain number of individuals can't seem to accurately estimate what 2 gallons is.

Jeff got point - we start about July with 3 timed running 10 gallon bucket feeders full of deer corn. We also had 3 gravity feeders full of corn. Last year we probably went through 600 lbs. of the deer corn and I don't know how much on salt blocks and mineral licks. It did help raise the herd noticably this past year over the year before when we didn't do it. I'd been wanting to get permission to plant a food crop in several places, less than an half an acre in two places to offset the cost of the corn. Lots of work either way. ;)

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 04 April 2007 - 10:02 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#14 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:51 PM

Baiting is one thing.

Supplemental feeding is another entirely. I have never seen anything that even comes close to what a good pelleted deer food will do. Expensive yes. Productive? Absolutely. Back in the days when I was a member of a very progressive hunt club we instituted a supplemental feeding program that utilized pellets. Average live weight of the deer we harvested went up 10-15lbs on does and over 20lbs on bucks. The results were a real eye opener. We kept accurate records for four years. Corn feeding and food plots didn't even come close to getting those kinds of results.

Food plots are typically once only feeding deals. Once the deer mow them down. They are done. You're lucky if a well managed one lasts longer than a couple of weeks, (unless they are several acres huge). Corn has little to no nutritional value to deer. They like it. But it doesn't do them much good. Mixing pellets with corn at first gets them started on the pellets and keeps them interested in them. About 25% corn and 75% pellets is a good winter supplemental mix.
Posted Image

#15 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:53 AM

Legal here in Arkansas, except for from(if I'm remembering the regulation book right) Jan. 1st - Feb 28th (last 2 months of bow season) but its not a bad deal, with the chaotic rains we get here during summer, there's not always enough acorns to feed the deer or any other wild life for that matter, so putting out water, corn, food pellets, and the like, does tend to help at least a little bit. I hunt over bait every year, mainly because the public land here is a joke, and i don't have access to great private land. (mostly taken up by leases or they've been burned by slob hunters in the past.) If baiting were deemed illegal here, i would find another way, but for now, that's all i got...
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users