• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:04 AM

Hypothetical Situation. Opening day of gun deer season and you are sitting on your stand. You hear some shots off in the distance. About 15 minutes later, a doe walks by you. You notice that she has been gut shot. She lays down about 40 yds from your stand.You only have a buck tag for the area you are hunting. An hour goes by, no other hunter/hunters show up. The law is clear that you may only harvest an animal you have a tag for. Another hour goes by, still no hunters, and the deer is still alive, occasionally bawling, and thrashing about. What do you do?

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:15 AM

The only ethical thing you can do. Shoot it, put it out of it's missery and call the DNR and report it.

#3 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:28 AM

The right thing is to put her down & before moving her call the dnr like spirit hawk said. they may let you substitute the doe tag for your buck tag or give her to you.

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:47 AM

Boy that's a good question Jeff. I think if I had the dnr's phone number and call them first before doing anything. I sure don't want to have to proove I shot that deer just once when it was shot twice. I agree it should be put down but legally you can't shoot it without the right tag. And without the permission of a tag or permit your illegal. Or let the coyotes have their way with it afterwards. It's not worth the legal problems and loosing your license because of poaching a doe.

I'd have the officer come get it and donate it to the food banks.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

Yep, do the ethical thing then call DNR.

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#6 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:22 AM

Again, only using the Hypothetical Situation that I created above, and considering the 2 points of law-"

You only have a buck tag for the area you are hunting

and

The law is clear that you may only harvest an animal you have a tag for

Is it reasonable or proper for ones own code of ethics to invalidate state game laws? Should calling the DNR "after the fact" exonerate you from prosecution?

#7 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:33 AM

just my opinion depending on state laws in Ohio you cannot use electronic devises for the purpose of hunting I.E. walkie talkies. you can not use a cell phone for hunting calling your partner and telling them where a herd is. but I do carry my cell with me in case of an emergency and to me that would constitute an emergency and would use it to call the DNR before doing anything. I know someone(me)( a few years back) that was on their way to a range to site in a shotgun and seen a deer get hit I called the dnr and they gave me permission over the phone to shoot it I kept them on the phone while they called the police and untill the police got there to verify what I was saying was true I ended up with that deer in my freezer for a nominal fee of $12 for an additional tag so I didnt have to use my tag the police officer handwrote me a tag I paid the 12 dollars and was on my way I am a person that dont like to take chances and if its a grey area I wont do it at all period
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#8 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:14 PM

State game laws are written in black and white and allow very little grey(discrection) into the reading. In the real life where the big boys play, descretion will become a factor, even in the hypothetical.

I have trained or worked with a majority of the wardens in the state of Wyoming.

I still chose the "no-brainer" I will take that animal out of it's misery, in a heartbeat. Escpecially, with the drama thrown in, hypothetical, bawling/thrashing.

If the rookie wardon wants to write me a ticket, then he can do it. If he isn't copletly green around the gills and seen a few cases since getting out of the acadamy he'll be able to understand what took place. I would absolutely not feel comfortable alowing that animal to suffer and still call myself a conservationist or hunter.

Remember, most game laws do not include "you shall" rather then use words like "you may" meaning just because the guy broke the law you are able to investigate and look at the totality of the circumstances to come to your conclusion. Domestice Violence comes to mind: If there is visible signs of injury you shall make an arrest. Meaning you cannot use your descretion, you must arrest. games laws do not run that way.

Still a no brainer

$,02

Fatty

Edited by bonecollector34, 04 April 2007 - 12:20 PM.

Prostaff.jpg

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:43 PM

A situation similar to that actually happened to me many many years ago. I was about 16 yrs old and was hunting with a group of men. I was on stand early the first morning. I heard just about the wierdest sound I have ever heard. About that time several deer ran past me. I could still hear this sound coming. Frankly I was very concerned as to what was coming. I finally saw it and it was a doe which at that time was not legal game. The reason for the awful sound was her lower jaw had been shot nearly off and the sound was her trying to breathe. I debated whether or not to kill her and put her out of her misery. I then thought of the distinct possibility of if I were caught and prosecuted the whole group could be arrested too. Well I debated the issue too long and the deer ran off without me shooting it. Man did I get the riot act read to me when I told the story to the rest of the gang. I was admonished for not shooting the doe by everyone. Being young and inexperienced I was actually just plain too scared to shoot. Knowing what I do now I would have done it and reported it. I do know that deer can survive rather horrific wounds but not that particular one. Yes I still feel bad about that incident.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:14 PM

I would call the "Game Warden" on my cell phone............Its a heavy fine here for trying to even do that.........Ethical or not...
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#11 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:27 PM

In my story, I think either choice would be ethical. If one decided to shoot the deer and end the suffering, the individual had already waited 2 hours. His ethics decided that the right thing to do was to end the suffering. He will not allow any animal to suffer. He knows the laws, and is willing to accept the consequences of his decision, and defend his beliefs, based upon his code of ethics. That same individual decides not to shoot. His personal code of ethics will not allow him to knowingly break any game laws. Ever. While he does not like to see animals suffer, his code does not allow him to become an active participant in this drama. One hunter will never break the law, and the other hunter will always strive to do the right thing, no matter what. Is either more/less ethical than the other?

#12 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:33 PM

It is a tough situation to be placed in.

You missed the 3rd choice:

Go find the hunter, while you continually scold him for his lack of responsibilty on tacking his wounded deer, you drag him by his coat over to ethically finish the job and tag his deer.

Fatty

Prostaff.jpg

#13 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:58 PM

I'm thinking a Game Warden would understand. I mean just how many poachers would call in to report they just shot a deer?

#14 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:54 PM

I would say i'd have to put it out of its misery..no calls to dnr, police etc.. simple done ..move on..

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#15 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:59 PM

I'd do it, I had to do something similar last fall with my doe. I can see both sides of the issue but in the end I think I'd take her out.
-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users