• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:22 AM

kill it, hands down. Some warderns would get in a twist about doing the ethical thing, I have heard some real horror stories. Cut it's throat and do it silently as not to draw attention to yourself.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#17 huntfromthesoul

huntfromthesoul

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:00 PM

I wouldn't take the chance of having my hunting privleges taken away. I realize that the etical thing to do is kill the doe. Before I would I would call the DNR and get defiate permission. If you didn't call them first the warden could simply say that you accidenally shot a doe and you were looking for a safe way out of the crime. I'm sure the warden would want to either shoot the does himself or witness you doing it. The law is simple and you have to obey it.
I choose to live simple so those who can't can simply live

#18 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:04 PM

This just shows we are all different people. I personally see both sides opinions.

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#19 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:24 PM

IMO, the description is of a deer that is frankly already dead and only has yet to realized it. As such, I would not hesitate to "finish" it and put both of us out of our misery. If I'm fined, so be it. Though I can't even imagine any state in the union even considering revoking hunting "privileges" for such a thing, if it happened I would even be okay with that before I would be okay with living the rest of my life having just left that deer lay to suffer a prolonged death.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#20 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:28 PM

If you put the doe out of its misery, call the Game Warden and he is not as understanding as you thought... The Judge will probably ask you only two questions. Question one, did you shoot the doe in question? There will be no explanations, Yes or No! Question two, did you possess a tag for the doe in question? Again, no explanations! Yes or No! Then, Guilty! A fine and possibly loss of hunting priviledges. Also that's all will appear in the local Police Blotter!
With that said, I probably would put this poor animal out of its misery and walk away. It's a tough situation.
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

#21 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:21 PM

In Wisconsin right now, You either have a legal tag or not. The Game Wardens are not afield to judge your guilt or innocense, only to determine whether or not a violation occurred. You can argue your case in court, good luck to you there. Right now poaching a deer or shooting one without a proper tag is a 1375$ fine and confiscation of your gun, loss of license privileges for 3-5 years and possible imprisonment. The law was put in place to eliminate "mercy killings"among other things. In other words, to take the authority out of an individuals hands to determine wether or not an "injured" animal should/would/could survive or not. I would be surprised if any state in the union turned its citizens loose and told them its all right to go ahead and kill any crippled deer you see. or any other deer that "may not look right, I think its sick, I'm gonna put it out of its misery". Shoot it or don't, I still don't think there is a wrong answer here

Edited by mudduck, 05 April 2007 - 09:24 PM.

#22 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:16 PM

If that deer's down that long she's probably stiffening up. Shouldn't be that hard to slip over there and slide a knife blade into her vitals. Now, if the officer wants to accuse me of killing a deer with a knife without a tag, then go right ahead. You know, you could pick up a nearby limb and cave her skull in too - same result. Hate to sound gruesome, but nature's way is pretty hard too.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#23 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:22 PM

the ethical thing to do is dispatch the deer and then call DNR, but doing the ethical thing is not always the right thing to do.

I would call DNR first and get an answer from them before I dispatched the deer, if they did not want me to dispacth the deer then I would not, I would let nature take its course,

Here In az if You had dispatched the deer then called DNR you would be given a fine, no matter what, the law is clear, some game wardens would probly agree with you, but I for one do not want to take a chance of losing my hunting privilges or Guide lic for 7 years and then on top of that have to pay a heafty fine
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#24 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:39 PM

I'm sorry, but I would sooner finish the deer, call nobody, and leave it lay than leave it there to suffer and die anyway in a few hours. We're not talking about a limping deer or something "hurt looking" in a herd. This deer was mortally shot. It's the jerk who shot a doe out of season and then didn't even bother to track it who gets 100% of this one if there is any price to be paid, including wanton waste.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#25 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:27 PM

You missed the 3rd choice:

Go find the hunter, while you continually scold him for his lack of responsibilty on tacking his wounded deer, you drag him by his coat over to ethically finish the job and tag his deer.

Fatty

I believe we think alittle alike

fattimus

Edited by bonecollector34, 11 April 2007 - 09:27 PM.

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#26 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:58 AM

For 30+ years, I was fortunate enough to be able to hunt on private land, had this story happened to me there, there is no question that I would have dispatched the deer, and I would not have waited the 2 hrs as the guy in my story did. The last 7 years, I have been forced to gun hunt public land, and I had to re-think my position. This story is a very real possibility on public land. A non-resident on public land at that. In the past, on this board and others, the mantra "As long as its legal...." is tossed out as a defense or "end of discussion" statement. I, for one, always thought, and still do, think that "As long as its legal..." is pretty lame. While following the law, we are still faced with ethical decisions, and often times, they are at odds with one another. I respect the individual who will follow the law in my story, but I also respect the individual who decides to end the suffering. Whatever the outcome, its an individual choice, made by the person at the scene, I hope I'm never in that situation.

#27 huntfromthesoul

huntfromthesoul

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:24 PM

The great thing about being in the area that I hunt is all the tags you can get. I don't think that in the past 8 or 10 years of hunting I have ever actually tagged out. I always go buy another tag when I'm down to only one left. So that being the case I don't think I'll ever end up in that situation. I enjoyed the replies to the topic. Thanks Mudduck.
I choose to live simple so those who can't can simply live

#28 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:02 PM

Tough question. I would probably finish off the deer.

#29 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:56 AM

I know of two cases where the hunter did the ethical thing. Ater reporting the incident, both hunters were given destruction of wildlife tickets. Both were prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Both pled guilty. One of the hunters is among our band of brothers. I stand behind his decision. Sadly, his state didn't see it our way.

Without this knowlegde, I would have killed the doe and then reported it. Now, armed with the above knowledge, I would definitley remove myself from the drama. I would, however, make every effort to identify the individual responsible for this mistake. If I found him, I would make sure he did the right thing.
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#30 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:31 PM

Being Ethical has absolutely no bearing in court. Monk is correct & Will's advice is sound. Pray the coyotes are quick & merciful ! :fudd:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users