• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 basile j

basile j

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:39 AM

I would say i'd have to put it out of its misery..no calls to dnr, police etc.. simple done ..move on..

Me 2

Joe

#32 Kurt

Kurt

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:21 AM

Great comments and interesting scenario.

I think all of us agree on the "right" thing to do. However game laws and how they are interpreted by individual officers is where the catch comes in.

About 10 years ago a friend of mine shot a bull elk. It didn't go down on the first shot and even though it turned out to be a good shot the elk took off running. He took a follow-up shot that stopped the bull in its tracks. The downer is that on his second shot the bullet went clear through the bull and also killed a cow elk standing further back. My buddy was just sick. He was hunting by himself so he had some decisions to make. So here is what he did. He dressed out his bull and went to find the local game officer. He knew where she lived. He explained the situation and brought her back to the elk. He helped her dress the cow elk out and load it into her truck so she could take it to the processor for later food bank donation. Once this was done she wrote him a ticket for the unlawful taking of a game animal. This could have been a terrible thing but luckily the judge realized the extent to which he helped and tried to do the right thing. The judge dismissed the charges.

Long story short. Sometimes good intentions go unnoticed.

Kurt

#33 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:45 AM

good topic jeff...me /myself would call the dnr...as all of them stay close to my hunt area.....and let him take her out and then try to find the one that shot her first....thanks for the topic....
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#34 buckee

buckee

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Blacktails(otherwise known as DinkyDog Deer)<br />Painting carving. walking/being in the woods.

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:41 PM

Two hours would be a stretch for me, sitting there watching an animal suffer like that. I'd finish her off no problem, quicker than 1 or 2 hours. Then I'd go looking for the guy who made the shot, and if I couldn't find him, I have the Game Wardens non-emergency phone number programed into my cell phone for things like this.
No Game Warden in his right mind would write you up for something like this. It's the only thing to do in my book, and ethical too.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users