• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:11 PM

Quite a few new materials and manufacturing methods have made it into the market. They all have their differences and peculiarities folks need to be aware of.

Materials

1. Dacron: This is the old stand by. It was absolutely tops for quite awhile. It's cheap but has a lower strength to diameter ratio of some of the newer strings. Dacron strings are slower and life isn't as long.

2. HMPE/Vectran blends: These blends are reported to have the lowest creep of any of the newer fibers. Drawback is this resistance to creep is a factor in string life. Vectran though virtually chemically identical to HMPE is a crystal molecular structure versus HMPE's chain molecule structure. The result is Vectran has a higher transverse strength but it is less flexible and causes more abrasion in the bundle. This means the Vectran fibers help lock everything in place. The locking effect comes at a price. As the crystals succumb to stresses the fiber crystals breakdown and fuzz.

3. HMPE: These strings are extremely abrasion resistant, flexible and durable. They do exhibit creep for an extended period of time. The fibers have very little friction and can slide against each other easily.

Manufacturing

1. Counter-rotated bundle strings: By far the most popular today. These strings offer the most rotationally stable string you can buy. Most two color strings are counter-rotated. Typically these strings are pre-twisted, served and stretched. Conventional manufacturer wisdom is you can add or remove up to six twists on the shooting string. Honestly, IMO you should never add or remove twists from a counter-rotated shooting string. Doing this ensures an imbalance in the bundles. It will cause you problems. Especially with 100% HMPE strings. If you add one twist to the string, it obviously adds a twist to the aggregate string, but it also adds a twist to one bundle and takes one out of the other. The reverse is also true. Keep in mind, what you are doing when twisting these strings is making one bundle shorter than the other. That means half the bowstring is taking 100% of the load. It's gonna creep. On counter-rotated cables with floating yokes, adding or removing twists from the single end is an absolute disaster. Twists should only be added or subtracted from the yoke end on cables. Care must be taken not to take out or add twists to the yoke ends when you are doing this. You should only take out or add twists to the yoke ends if you are trying to balance the yoke. The twist game on counter-rotated strings is not so straightforward as the old single bundle strings. Be careful doing this or you'll make a mess! IMHO, cables should be single bundle or at least a single fiber whenever possible.

2. Single Bundle Strings: Out of fashion but still very useful. If you don't care about peep rotation a single bundle string made from one continuous fiber is the way to go. Because they are one bundle they are also more twist friendly and as a result don't creep as much regardless of material selection. This is still the strongest manufacturing method for a string. One continuous fiber takes 100% of the load 100% of the time regardless of twists added or removed. Silicone tubing peeps going out of fashion and the attractiveness of multicolored strings have practically eliminated single bundle strings. This IMO is a shame.
Posted Image

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:31 PM

Leo very informative and alot of this is new to me only because I didn't look into it before so it's a help to understand string and cables on my bow. In the past I have just order one and never really knew what it was made of or how it was made. This past year I have had more reasons to ask only because I read a few articles and your post is very helpful.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:36 PM

but does it come in red? ;)

thanks leo...as always a true wealth of knowlege and insite :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#4 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:38 AM

I thought it was PINK, Bruce?
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#5 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:47 PM

No no no Charles, it's his thong undies that are pink.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#6 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

No no no Charles, it's his thong undies that are pink.

:blink: :eek: Now theres a thought I don't want a picture of. :no: :doh: :rofl:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:05 PM

:doh: :blush: :blush: :D o:)

and finaly. :no: :no: :no:

no I don't wear thong undies ( its mesh or nothing at all )
NO HOHO Money doesnt have a clue what I wear, nor will he ever.
and HUCK is the guy in pink :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

Whew, I'm glad we could clear that up.

Hum, I always thought mesh chaffed too much for my likings. Silk! Now there is a ride made in heaven, lol.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:41 PM

We go from understanding Bow string and cables to understanding our preferences on under wear :doh: OOOWE that's a stretch and I'll be sharing camp with you all :( :lol: :lol:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#10 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:26 AM

What happens at Elkatraz STAYS at Elkatraz, LOL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users