• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:37 AM

Good grief I just bought 4 guns in Feb and for some reason have a burning desire for a 25-06 to use for everything from pocket gophers to elks sheep goats. I cant even sleep thinkin about having one. ( Must be oldtheimers or somethin). Seems like the calibre is like lightning. Tell me your experiences with 25-06...
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#2 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:02 AM

I bought one awhile back for my daughter. A Ruger Mark II stainless, I also had a break put on it. She is a petite little lady.

That gun is a tack driver. She has killed 2 nice buck antelope with it, both one shot DRT's. LOL

I also shot my huge Alberta buck with it, also a 1 shot kill, only going maybe 20 yards.

People will say it is too small for an elk, those people haven't hunted elk with it. You can shoot an elk with a 470 Nitro thru the guts and never recover him. With the damage it did on that 325lb buck, it'll topple an elk.

I like this caliber alot..

As a family, we are 3 shots, 3 animals very quickly expired..

$.02

Fatty

Edited by bonecollector34, 06 April 2007 - 09:03 AM.

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:49 AM

:o If you get a chance at a 25 06 and don't grab it, you need a good whuppin'. :lol: I have personally taken mules at considerably beyond far with it, and I'm not going to state distances, because that'll start another war. One shot, one kill. Remember where the deer was, because it'll be down before you blink. With the 120 grain Speer, it drops moose and elk like a bolt from above. Load it warm to hot, and it will do all that you ask and more. An added bonus is that you can spend a whole day out shooting gophers and yotes and come home feeling no worse for wear. I wouldn't put 200 or 300 rounds through the 375 or 300 in a day, but have no problem doing that with a 25 06. Let me know when you get it, and I will give you all kinds of load data. If you opt for a Ruger #1, then you will get the added bonus of a 26 inch tube. ENJOY! :thumbsup:

#4 RicF

RicF

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:38 PM

I don't have a 25-06 but I have talked to several people that do have them and everyone of them really like the Cal. The people I have talked to have taken every thing from ground hos up to deer and Caribou. No one has taken an Elk with one that I have talked to.
So I guess I need to be on the look out for one.

Ricf
PATIENCE - Kills Turkeys !!

Ric's Hunting Page

Posted Image

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:57 PM

I look at the whole thing like this First there is the venerable 30-06. Then there is the 270 Win which is essentially a 30-06 necked down to .277. Then there is the 25-06 which is still the 30-06 necked down even further than the 270 in fact down to 25 caliber. You have a fair selection of 25 caliber bullets to choose from. A 75gr bullet that will go up to 3600 or 3700 fps an 87 gr bullet that will go up to 3400 or 3500 fps and several others up to 120 gr which still get 3000 to 3100 fps.

Shucks my daughter shot a 400lb oryx (gemsbok) at 300 yds with a 257 rbts using +p loads and 115 gr bullets. One shot kill too. If a 257 Rbts can do that a 25-06 will take an elk.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:09 AM

I will put it this way,

If they ever came up and said, You can have one centerfire rifle, I shot gun, and one rim fire, My choice on the center fire would be the 25-06, you have such a range of bullet weights, you can go lite for varmits to heavy enough for elk, with just one gun,

just my 4 cents worth,

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#7 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:51 AM

Hey how come RL gets $.04 worth, I only had $.02.

RL~We are gonna have to wrestle for that $.02 in question..

fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#8 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:45 PM

The two of you can split the difference, and make it $.03! :D

#9 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:10 PM

I definitely give it 2 thumbs up! I got into the 25 caliber craze about 3 yrs ago and went out and bought a 257. Since then i've sold a 30-06, 270, and a 7 mm. For all around gun without the punishment- 25 calibers are the way to go. I'm limited with 257 wthrby -if I could change anything, I'd take a hard -long look at the 25-06. Cheap to shoot and very versitile! The performance speaks for itself too!

#10 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:34 AM

It will be interesting to see what happens with 25cals in the next couple of years.

The "new" case Ruger uses for the .375 Ruger was actually initially developed by Lazzeroni for a 6.5mm cartridge. The .375 Ruger has Wildcatters hopping. This could get real interesting.

But I will say this. Necking the cartridge down to 338 or 7mm will hands down be the most popular wildcats. All that will be required to accomplish this will be a rechamber job on a 338 Win Mag or 7mm Rem Mag. There will be very little if any bolt and magazine work required. Hope they standardize those variants quick.
Posted Image

#11 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:44 PM

I definitely give it 2 thumbs up! I got into the 25 caliber craze about 3 yrs ago and went out and bought a 257. Since then i've sold a 30-06, 270, and a 7 mm. For all around gun without the punishment- 25 calibers are the way to go. I'm limited with 257 wthrby -if I could change anything, I'd take a hard -long look at the 25-06. Cheap to shoot and very versitile! The performance speaks for itself too!

I am still mulling it over. I go thru these stages of searching for the all around rifle then wanting to unload my excess. I think a 25-06 may do it all, much as my 264winmag did 30 yrs ago. Hmmmm...
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#12 johnf

johnf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:20 AM

I've got an H&R Ultra-Rifle in 25-06. After topping it with a Nikon Prostaf and getting the factory to drop the trigger to 3lbs, I can clover leaf out to 100 yards and keep about a 3" group at 300 yards shooting prone with no rest (factory 100gr. cor-lokt). I've yet to see a deer take a step after being hit with the same bullet.

I"m waiting to get some more empty brass to start reloading then it will get really interesting.

#13 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:14 PM

I've got an H&R Ultra-Rifle in 25-06. After topping it with a Nikon Prostaf and getting the factory to drop the trigger to 3lbs, I can clover leaf out to 100 yards and keep about a 3" group at 300 yards shooting prone with no rest (factory 100gr. cor-lokt). I've yet to see a deer take a step after being hit with the same bullet.

I"m waiting to get some more empty brass to start reloading then it will get really interesting.

Cool John. Thanks for the info, sounds like you got a great rifle in your 25-06. I promised my cook no more gun buys this yr so I'll prolly wait til Feb-Mar 08 and go for the 25-06 or maybe the 7mmSTW or 7RemUltraMag.
Or maybe both the 25 and the 7 :yes:
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#14 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:28 AM

Charlie, the search for the ultimate all around caliber has been going on since there was rifles. I feel that is why there are so many choices out there. It all boils down to the question you have to answer. That is what will be MY best all around rifle. Only each individual can really answer that. I would answer that question by first looking at what would be my smallest game to hunt and the average distance I expect to shoot at that game. On the other hand I would have to explore the biggest game and distance I expect to shoot it. I would then look at the available calibers and the bullet construction and weights available for that caliber. What we ultimately learn is the best all around caliber for one person may be close but not the best for another. Long ago I chose the 243 as my all around rifle. Yes it was a little light for bear hunting but was great for groundhogs which I used it for the most. I still have a 243 but now have 222's a 270 and a 7mm. All would do the job as an all around rifle but I have them all. Aaaah the search for the holy grail of all around rifle.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#15 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:18 PM

Charlie, the search for the ultimate all around caliber has been going on since there was rifles. I feel that is why there are so many choices out there. It all boils down to the question you have to answer. That is what will be MY best all around rifle. Only each individual can really answer that. I would answer that question by first looking at what would be my smallest game to hunt and the average distance I expect to shoot at that game. On the other hand I would have to explore the biggest game and distance I expect to shoot it. I would then look at the available calibers and the bullet construction and weights available for that caliber. What we ultimately learn is the best all around caliber for one person may be close but not the best for another. Long ago I chose the 243 as my all around rifle. Yes it was a little light for bear hunting but was great for groundhogs which I used it for the most. I still have a 243 but now have 222's a 270 and a 7mm. All would do the job as an all around rifle but I have them all. Aaaah the search for the holy grail of all around rifle.

I'm still smokin this 'all around' rifle thing over. Kinda focussed on the 270 now that I got rid of all our archery equipment and ordered a case of 270 130grain stuff to try out. Am looking around for a 24 or 26" bbl 270 rifle. Or I may go with the 270 Weatherby that RedGreen and I discussed at great length on Huntingnet.com Chat last eve. I think we'll be tossin this around some more.

I promised myself a LH German Mk 5 Weatherby for my retirement in 5 yrs, but may just go for it next year. Cant seem to settle on a calibre though. I think I need to quit accumulating rifles as I seem to have lost focus.

Am still enthralled by my 26"bbl Mod 70 and hope to use it Oct 7-8 for maybe a <450yrd antelope kill shot if I am lucky. Its throwing out 139SST at 3250fps so that otto be flat enough for me to quit missing and mooning over my long ago sold 264WinMag. I am almost back to where I began as a 19yo with a flat shootin iron. Other than that still old,fat,tired, mean.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users