• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:49 PM

Today I wanted to try a new black powder I got in. It is made by Wano in Germany for Graf's & Sons. It is cheaper then Goex. And I hate to admit this, it shot great. Fowling I think was less then Goex. Power seemed real good as well. I was shooting at 70 yards off shooting sticks with a nice comfortable chair.

To see how bad it was fowling the rifle, I was shooting my Knight Wolverine LK-II and some 250 grain Shockwaves. The Knight has a Sightron 3-9x40mm scope. My shooting sticks are homemade. I never swabbed the barrel between shots 8-13. By the 13th I could tell the barrel needed to be swabbed as the accuracy was starting to fade a little.

The first shot was on a clean barrel. It hit high and to the right as normal. I was surprised how much higher these Shockwaves with 100 grains were shooting compared to the 80 grains and the 240 gr XTP's the rifle is sighted in with. Shots 5-7 I had to aim just under the bulls eye to set them in there. Then when I changed to the upper corner bull for 8-10 I held under the center of the bull, and never swabbed. 11-13 I aimed dead center on the bull and shot and loaded as fast as I could.

This Graf's seems to clean easy. It had excellent powder. Lots of smoke and bang.. and the Wolverine seemed to like it. If you get your hands on some, give it a try. You might like it. Next time out I am testing it in a flintlock. I just have not decided which one.

Posted Image
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:14 PM

Thanks for the test results. I don't recall of that powder being sold around here but I may ask just to see.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:28 PM

I ordered a case of it from Graf & Sons and paid the hazmat fee of $20.00 .

http://www.grafs.com/powders/3522

I see the price of Goex came down and the price of Graf's went up a little. I guess I was lucky and bought at the right time. I only got #20 pounds of powder this time. I split it 10/10 of Goex and Graf's. So far it seems like a nice powder. I want to shoot the flintlock tomorrow and see how it behaves.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:44 AM

Only 20 lbs? Gee bud, that should last you about a week! ;) :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users