#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:02 PM

I need some help hooking up our printer after we got a new computer. It seems like I have everything hooked up right. I have the main power hooked up into the surge protector and the USB cable hooked up from the back of the printer into the back of the tower. There is a yellow hook up place also on the back of the printer but I don't think we've ever used that. Are there any steps I'm forgetting? I have the drivers downloaded for the printer. Help please!
-Eric

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:53 PM

What exactly seems to be the issue? Is it not working? We'll assume, for now, that is the case and that everything is hooked up properly...

Do you have a Windows Vista drivers for this device? (If you only have a disk and it doesn't list that it is Vista compatible then the answer is no.) If not, you will need to go to the website of the printer manufacturer (HP, Cannon, Epson... whoever makes the printer) and download the appropriate driver. A word of warning, you will likely need to know the exact model number of your printer and then search through a long list of drivers. But, once you have the correct one it should be simple from there. If they supply instructions on driver install, follow them! You should be done in a snap.

If no instuctions or "read me" files are provided... Begin by seeing if the driver is a self-install or not. If it's a self-install, then you should probably start by unplugging the USB cable from either the back of the computer or the back of the printer. Then, install the driver. Restart the computer. Now, plug in your printer. If the driver was a self-install driver your system should now recognize "new hardware" and automatically install it. If this does not happen then you may need to do a manual install.

To do a manual install, navigate your way to the Device Manager. (I don't know about in Vista, but in XP that is located at Start> Control Panel> System> Hardware Tab> Device Manager.) Once at Device Manager, look for any hardware that is flagged with an exclamation mark. (If there is any, it will likely be your printer.) If nothing is flagged, then simply locate the the printer in the list. (It will likely be under a header something like IEEE compatible printers.) Regardless of where or how you find it, once you have located your printer in the Device Manager, double click on it. From there, click the "Driver" tab then "Update Driver". Follow the on-screen wizard pointing it to the location of the driver on your system if need be.

Let us know how it turns out.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:25 PM

Will it do any damage to install the same driver twice? I installed the basic HP Printer and scanner driver for my specific printer before but maybe I didn't install it correctly. I have the printer disconnected right now and will probably try downloading them again if it is okay.
-Eric

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:13 PM

Won't hurt... If you tell me the model I can help look to make sure you have the right one. I know I have an HP all-in-one... It's something like a model 5500. But, upon looking closer, you find it is actually a 5500c and sure enough there are 3 or 4 different drivers for the same machine! (Something like 5500, 5500a, 5500b, 5500c.)

I should also tell you that there is a chance the printer may just not be Vista-able. I know years ago when I moved from 95 to 98 my HP printer was a no go. Leo has also mentioned losing a printer to his XP upgrade. Unfortunately, it can happen. I am sitting on about $2000 worth of software that probably will not work in Vista. So, I know the pain. :cry: :)

sig_admin.png

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:46 PM

I have an HP Photosmart C5180 and here's the driver download page that I found. HP C5180 drivers Jer, thanks for your help!
-Eric

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:39 PM

Here's a new twist: I installed the driver no problem (the complete one in the link) and I have everything plugged in. The only thing that is happening is a glowing orange exclamation mark is showing on the printer. In a network box theres a tab that says "Find Printer". I clicked on the tab and get a list of different ports for the printer. After that I find a bunch of brands of printers and models. I clicked on HP and found two C5100 series. One says 12/26/06 and another says 2/2/07. I'm not sure what the dates mean though. I tried the 12/26/06 one and everything seemed to work fine and said the printer was installed correctly. The printer just does not want to start for some reason :doh:
-Eric

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:01 PM

It sounds like you have multiple instances of the same printer... Or at least the driver. I would contact HP at this point if the above hasn't gotten you anywhere.

sig_admin.png

#8 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:40 PM

Thanks Jer for all the help! I will try and get it running tomorrow after school and I will fill you in on what happens later.

Thank You!
Eric
-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users