#1 THUNDER

THUNDER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

Howdy-
New guy here with a question.
I have a .54 cal. Knight MK-85 SS muzzleloader which I purchased in 1993. It has seen a lot of use over those years and I now want to get a new barrel for it.
Also, I would like to change it to a.50 cal. (if that's possible).
Could anyone suggest a barrel maker and gunsmith to contact for this conversion?

Thanks much,
Ron

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

Howdy-
New guy here with a question.
I have a .54 cal. Knight MK-85 SS muzzleloader which I purchased in 1993. It has seen a lot of use over those years and I now want to get a new barrel for it.
Also, I would like to change it to a.50 cal. (if that's possible).
Could anyone suggest a barrel maker and gunsmith to contact for this conversion?

Thanks much,
Ron

Knight Rifle barrels are made by Green Mountain Barrel Company. Contact Knight Rifles and advise them of your needs and wants. They can probably see to it that you get what you need. It might not hurt to call Green Mountain Barrel Company and talk to them also. Since this is where the barrels come from I am sure they would have some in stock.

I agree with your desire to change over to a .50 caliber. With the way the projectile market is going, .50 caliber is a better choice.

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum. It is good to have you here. There are a great bunch of people on the forum and I am sure you will find them helpful and fun to talk to...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 THUNDER

THUNDER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:56 AM

cayugad -
Thanks for the response and the welcome!
This looks like a good place to 'hang out' and maybe learn something. : )

I took your advice and contacted, by e-mail, both Knight and Green Mountain about getting a .50 cal. barrel for this ML.. If they have not answered by Friday, I'll give them a call.

Also, if Green Mountain does not have a 'drop-in' barrel for my MK-85, I may have to look into getting a custom barrel made. If anyone has any thoughts or recommendations on this idea, I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks again'
Ron

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:58 AM

I am sure that Knight would have a MK-85 barrel around since the Wolverine, Bighorn and USA American all take the same barrel. They still sell the Bighorn and Wolverine. I am sure they will take care of you.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:02 PM

Thunder first welcome to the HR site. Second I have came to the point that I trust Cayugads comments and suggestions completely. Third your post made me wonder a little. Is the reason you want to change barrels because of accuracy loss or just that you want a 50 cal barrel. I have found that it is pretty hard to wear out a barrel. You may just have lead or plastic buildup in there. At least once a year I get out the wipe out, cva barrel blaster or Hoppes elite foam and give that barrel a real down to the steel cleaning. Even though it may look clean I am always amazed at the stuff I left in there. I always clean with hot soapy water first and a modern rifle cleaner after rinsing and drying. Evenwith cleaning essentially twice I still get stuff out with the foaming products.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 THUNDER

THUNDER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:18 AM

Hey PA RIDGE RUNNER -

Thanks for the welcome!
My main purpose for wanting to switch my MK 85 from a .54 to a .50 cal. is for the very reason that cayugad mentioned. There are more choices of projectiles available for the .50 .

I'm still 'working' on the folks at Knight. : )

Take care.
Ron

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:01 PM

I just thought of the possibility of picking up a used MK-85 in 50 cal which may be the least expensive way to make the move. Then you will still have the old 54 too. I only own 50 cals for much the same reason that you are expressing, many more choices of rate of twist and projectiles. Of course cayugad likes the 54 cal and even bigger, anything that will sling out those huge chunks of lead.

#8 THUNDER

THUNDER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:06 AM

PA RIDGE RUNNER -
About two weeks ago I found a very nice used Knight SS .50 cal. MZ being auctioned on a firearm web site. Only a few people were bidding on it, so I thought that I would go ahead and submit a bid. But about 6-8 hours before the 'end time', the seller pulled the gun off.

He had a reserve set, and the bidding price was not too close to it, so he yanked it.

I'm going to check back to see if it has been relisted.

Talk to ya later.
Ron

#9 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:46 PM

In the inline rifles, the .50 caliber is plenty. As long as I can shoot sabots or large conicals, I am a happy person. When I shoot roundball then I have a whole different attitude. I like big lead. .54 is a great caliber, .58 is even better, and that .62 caliber of mine really throws some nice ball down range. I guess I need one of the Brown Bess next to kind of settle out the collection... :lol:

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:35 PM

In the inline rifles, the .50 caliber is plenty. As long as I can shoot sabots or large conicals, I am a happy person. When I shoot roundball then I have a whole different attitude. I like big lead. .54 is a great caliber, .58 is even better, and that .62 caliber of mine really throws some nice ball down range. I guess I need one of the Brown Bess next to kind of settle out the collection... :lol:

Hey bud, I have a neighbor that builds replica Civil War Cannons. :lol:

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:36 PM

A little over a year ago my wife, her sister and husband went to colonial Williamsburg and of course I just had to drag them into the gunsmithing shop. I just stood in awe of the revolutionary war flinters displayed there. I spoke with one of the men there and I guess he doesn't meet many people that have actually shot a flintlock because he just opened up and showed me all the processes that he and his skilled craftsmen go through to build those period firearms. He said that if anyone wanted a revolutionary war firearm that they actually make them to order. I was too fearful to ask what price they were as everything is hand made and hand fitted. They sure looked pretty though.

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:14 PM

Ok, let me ask this. Would the .50 barrel, say off of a Knight American, fit the stock of a Knight MK-85 .54? Wondering how any .50 would fit the .54 stock? Is there much, if any, differance in the outside circumferance between the two barrel calibers? Knight American's can be picked up pretty cheap if you could use the barrel off of one. I too have an MK-85 .54 and wish to go to .50. Wanting to get a .50 barrel for my Encore but this would be a less exspensive way to have a .50 for now.

Edited by Spirithawk, 09 December 2008 - 05:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users