9 replies to this topic

#1 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:37 PM

Well, things didn't seem to go my way with the optima elite :( . I must admit i was getting a little fustrated! I mounted ascope on it, had it bore sighted, and off to the bench i went! It didn't go well after the first shot :lol: . The groups were all over the place-alot were off the paper too :doh: . Went back to Cabela's -talk to the the "older" gentleman who owns 3 CVAs. Went back to the range -same results. Enuff is enuff :no: . Off to cabela's again-this time to give it back!- I will say , Cabelas ROCKS! They took that pile of junk off my hands --with a smile too :yes: !
I walked out of there with a T/C encore. I rigged it with the scope last night. I was off to the range after work today... what a wise decision :yes: . I put about 12 shots downrange-majority of them @ 100 yds. The first shot was a dead bulls eye! All of them are in the orange 6 in circle ;) BIG difference! I think I may have found a new pet gun. I need to break it in and get better aquainted with the trigger, maybe even experiment w/some loads-to tighten up my patterns. Anyone here own an Encore? what kind of groups should i expect @ 100 yds?

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:02 PM

I own a number of inline rifles. I hate to say ... a scoped rifle should shoot a 1" group. There are so many variables when we shoot, wind, heat, lighting, not to mention our own person health.

I will put it this way, at 100 yards I have shot some groups that would amaze you.

Posted Image

This is a 100 yard group with my T/C Black Diamond XR which is basically the same barrel as your Encore but a different action. What I am trying to say is, once in a while you will have a good day on the range and shoot some outstanding groups. But I never go out and expect groups that tight at 100 yards. If I can shoot a 2" group off a bench at 100 yards I am very very pleased. If I shoot less then that, I am really happy.

Try 100 & 150 grain powder charges (pellets) in your rifle with a 250 grain Shockwave. See what it does for you. If you're shooting loose powder try 100 & 120 grain with the same bullet and see what it will do. Those are the loads that Thompson Center suggested for my Black Diamond XR.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:03 PM

By the way, congratulations on a great rifle there. I am sure it will do all you want it to do...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:54 PM

Good choice Tony!

You'll be quite happy with that weapon.

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

Yep, you'll love that Encore. It not only shoots well, but carries and shoulders well too.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

Congratulations. There is nothing more frustrating than a rifle that won't pattern but there is nothing like one that puts the bullet where you want it. I have a traditions rifle that just will not shoot well and I yell at it a lot but on the other hand I have a Knight that really puts em in there and I yell again but only to tell the rest of the world how wonderful this rifle is.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:12 PM

Being new at this aspect of weapon choice-Cayugad has "sparked" some curiousity in my wanting to try different loads. I've the opportunity to try some new loads this summer with the encore I bought in the spring. I find that my gun doesn't digest powerbelts so well. My pet bullet as of now are T/C shockwaves. @ 100 yrds a pack of 15 will create one hole the size of a tennis ball!! I think I'm ready to hunt.....

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:41 PM

Stick that sounds great!! I have never been a fan of the CVA rifles but have admired from afar the offerings from TC. Personally I feel if the trigger is a good one it is major in accuracy. My personal best 100 yd 3 shot group from a bench was just under an inch but that was on a really good day. As Cayugad says you have good days and bad days. My best group was with 80 gr of FFg Gooex a harvbester crush rib sabot and a 300 gr Hornady XTP bullet. This was out of my Knight Bighorn. All muzzleloaders are individuals and only a few will shoot most everything well. It is a game to find the powder load and bullet combo that your rifle likes but then again that gives us an excuse to play all day.

#9 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:32 PM

I hear you Ridgerunner-I'm finding that out very quickly as I go :D I'm having fun with it too! It was a little fustrating in the beginning-not understanding that this does happen.
I eventually, like you are doing, would like to "tighten" things up by utilizing loose powder and see if I can refine my grouping to the guns fullest potential. I currently am using the 2 @50 grain pellets.

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:02 PM

Stick yep you are right it takes some experimenting to find what old smokey likes. I do not shoot pellets because of the expense. I am not a real fan of the heavy duty magnum loads. My concept of a muzzleloader is 100 yds and under preferably much under.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users