11 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:26 PM

Posted Image

I promised myself that I would look and not purchase at the auction sites. And I was doing real good until I saw a .50 caliber Tradition's Hawkin's Woodsman 1:48 twist FLINTLOCK being offered up for sale. It looked in perfect condition and the seller said it really is, he just does not want the rifle anymore. Well I got a hair and placed a bid. I just received notification that I own another flintlock. Oh well, the rest of them will just have to move over. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:59 PM

Nice I have looked at some flint locks but dont know much about them from my understanding they are more picky and alot more misfires then an inline
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:34 PM

I've found that if you have a hard frizzen, a sharp flint, and dry powder.. they are a pretty sure thing. Actually if they are tuned good, they will go off as fast as a cap lock. They are a challenge though.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:50 PM

I have a tc hawkins 50 cal flintlock. i love it. it took awhile to get the hang of not watching the pan go off next to my face and to watch the sights instead.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:45 PM

Well this will be the second Traditon's Woodsman I will own. My first one is a real tack driver. Actually it is one of my favorite plinking rifles. Just fun to sit out there and shoot off a box of ball.

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:29 PM

Hope she shoots like your other one!
-Eric

#7 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:41 AM

Posted Image

Well the rifle arrived and is a little beauty. A Tradition's Hawkins Woodsman in .50 caliber with 1-48 twist. It makes my other Tradition's Hawkins Woodsman look real nice now. It needed that friend on the rack. Once my new target range is done, I can try it out. But there it is.....

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:53 PM

I finished building the new target trap. After knocking down all the trees that were hit by the bullets that blew through the trap, it gave me some firewood and a longer range. The old one was too close anyway, so I moved it back another 35 yards which gives me 118 yards without crawling into the woods like I had to do before.

I had not shot the new rifle. The bench rest was at the 75 yard range. I figured why not. I was not all that worried about how well it grouped, but was interested in how well it functioned.

So out I went and loaded 90 grains of Graf's (Wano) 2f black powder and primed it. First shot was a BIG Time hang fire. It hit about six inches low, but again that did not worry me. So I loaded it up again and laid a roundball right under the bulls eye. I then adjusted my point of aim and shot two more and they were touching just an inch above the bulls eye. I was having fun, so I just kept shooting.

I finally ran out of powder in that horn, so I went in the house and got a pound of Goex 3f. I still loaded 90 grains. It started to spray them all over. Perhaps too hot I thought. So I cut the charge down to 70 grains of 3f and it was still not shooting as tight as I wanted. So I went to 80 grains and then it started to behave again.

Then I started shooting at a 4"x6" piece of pine board. I was happy that I could consistently knock that over. So I took a soda pop can and laid that on the side. That was a little harder to hit.

The ignition time with this rifle is impressive. It seems fast, and does not seem to eat the flints up too fast. My little three gram pan charger fills that rifle's pan but it does not fuse out on me, so I do not care about the extra side flash. Also the frizzen seems to fit nice and tight to the pan so it should be pretty water proof. I only fired about twenty five ball. Maybe tomorrow I will move the station to 25 yards and sight the rifle in.

#9 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:46 PM

Posted Image

I decided to sight in the new Tradition's .50 caliber Hawkin Woodsman model Flintlock today. I was shooting 80 grains of Goex 2f, Buffalo bullets, and using moose milk pillow tick patch. Also Goex 4f as prime.

It was then I discovered my disadvantage of my new range. Anything closer then 50 yards will have to be done off shooting sticks unless I build more tables around the woods. No problem though, I took the shooting sticks with me and a chair.

First shot on the clean barrel kind of surprised me, but I was holding a strange sight pattern using a full bull hold since I had no idea how this rifle had been sighted in. I discovered it shot very low.

So I cranked the rear sight up to what I thought would be about right. And fired a few more. Still low and to the right. So I adjusted the windage and brought the group over a little. I wanted to hold with a full open bull, so I cranked the rear sight up just a click or two, and it shot just above the other group.

Another minor adjustment and I finally had it hitting the bulls eye where I wanted. I did throw one real bad. That rifle just went off before I was ready in the sticks. Nice clean trigger on the rifle, but you have to be careful with it.

Then to prove to myself that I had the rifle sighted in, I had a crushed Diet Pepsi can out there, so I laid that on its side and took three shots at it. It went flying all three times.

Posted Image

I am still on the same flint as yesterday. I have no idea of the number of shots I have taken off this flint but I only had one POOF! that did not go off. The pan fired fine mind you, so I poked the vent hole and the next pan fire shot it off just fine. Nice fast ignition also.

This is a real sweet little rifle. Easy to carry and fast to shoulder. I think I am going to like this one a lot.

#10 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:12 AM

A good looker and a straight shooter. Great buy Cayugad.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:20 PM

She sure is purrrrtty!

#12 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:12 PM

I love mine, enjoy your's!!!
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users