Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:43 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Last Thursday a buddy and myself went south as we have for the past several years for a spring striper fishing trip on Lake Cumberland, Kentucky. We booked a guided trip for Friday and Saturday for stripers. I had guessed looking at the weather forecast with the huge storm coming across the country that Saturday was going to be a bust but Friday- good ole lucky Friday the 13th - would be our best day. Fishing before a weather front is normally very good.
According to our guide the weather in April has been so riddled with front after front the fishing had shut down from the warm weather earlier this spring season. Plus the Lake being drained down some 45 feet for a dam repair has affected the fishing. This lake still has a lot of water still in it and it is a monster reservoir with hundreds of miles of shoreline that was filled back in 1952. You need a guide to know this lake and I donít know it.
Friday we caught our limit and hereís some pictures. Saturday it was a bust like I thought and we caught one keeper striper. Thatís fishing. Sunday the wife breaded them and pan-fried some fillets up and they make for some great dining.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:45 AM

That's excellent! I'll sure be glad when I can get out and do a little fishing. :blink: Those two strippers look like they weigh almost as much as you do! Way to go! :thumbsup:

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:16 PM

Those are darn good stripers and bronzebacks! One good day like that makes up for a couple busts.

With the water dropped both stripers and bronzebacks relate strongest to areas of high current and maximum baitfish funneling. Looks like your guide knew exactly where that happens in that lake.

Pre-front fishing is usually awesome if you can get in the right spot before it hits. IME, it doesn't matter if it's a cold or a warm front you just need to fish before it hits. After it hits it usually takes about three days for stuff to normalize again.
Posted Image

#4 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

Awesome, I am quite jealous!

fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#5 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:36 PM

Those are HAWGS Rowdy !
Awesome fighters ! Congrats
Posted Image

#6 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:02 PM

Congrats there Mr. Rowdy, you look a little tiny next to them fishies, I am sure glad you had a great outing!
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:47 AM

Those are HAWGS Rowdy !
Awesome fighters ! Congrats

Hey thanks!

I'm 6 foot tall and about 180# and the smallmouth were measured at 22" and about 6lbs. We didn't measure the stripers but weight wise the larger one was 20lbs. and the smaller one was 16lbs. .

Phil that's one reason I couldn't make it over to join you guys in PA.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:15 PM

Looks like alot of fun :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#9 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:16 PM

Looks like alot of fun :)

Bruce,

A stripers initial run is always a scorcher. A good one will peel off 100yds of line with no difficulty whatsoever. Touching the spool on your baitcaster with your thumb is a guaranteed blister. It's takes a much larger spinning reel to handle them then a baitcaster. Most medium size spinning reels don't have the drag juice to do it. In fact a really big striper will smoke an undersized spinning drag in the first minute of hook up. I literally mean smoke, the reel will in fact smoke, lock up and die :o In my experience you need at least an Ambassador 6500 class or a 30lb class spinner to handle stripers consistently. Stripers are fully capable and willing to sacrifice mouth bones and flesh to tear the hooks free. That is their initial intent on every hook up. More than 5 lbs of drag and they will straighten the hooks and tear free almost every single time. Replacing the hooks on new striper lures with 3x hooks has always been a necessity IMO. In short stripers are the hook bendingest fish in freshwater I've ever messed with. That includes outsize catfish which also have a well deserved reputation for that behavior.

I don't post much about fishing on this board but allow me to explain, I was a fisherman long long before I became a hunter. I've also been more than just a little successful at it.

Rowdy, if you got a weight on that biggest striper as 20lbs I'm surprised. Maybe it's the photo that's deceiving, I would have guessed 23lbs.
Posted Image

#10 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:19 AM

Rowdy, if you got a weight on that biggest striper as 20lbs I'm surprised. Maybe it's the photo that's deceiving, I would have guessed 23lbs.

Leo it might have been and then again since you're a fisherman you'll understand it when I say they could have been 30lbs and the smaller one 25lbs. :whistle: :cool: :fishing: A fisherman's story "And how big where they?" "They were thiiis Big" "Monster size"

Leo is correct the fun of catching stripers is the intitial run after setting the hook. Even the smaller 10 lbers run like they're on fire. The big ones are just plain tough all the way to the net. I definitely get compliments on the filets at dinner time.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 18 April 2007 - 12:22 PM.

#11 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:03 PM

Hmmm I heard a rumor that Lake Powell has a tag striper that is worth 1 million dollars ( dont know if its true ) apparently years ago they stocked with stripers and they over took the lake. Times I've been up to Powell they talk in the fall of the Churns when the fish are feeding, how you cast over it and let your lure drop and then pull back through down deeper so you can get the big ones......

hmmm how about Stripertraz :) at lake Powel :) good camping..awesome lake...I have access to 1 boat. :)
AND ITS WARM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dang we got 4 inches of snow yesterday with another 4 called for tonight. (its the end of april )
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#12 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:10 AM

Hmmm I heard a rumor that Lake Powell has a tag striper that is worth 1 million dollars ( dont know if its true ) apparently years ago they stocked with stripers and they over took the lake. Times I've been up to Powell they talk in the fall of the Churns when the fish are feeding, how you cast over it and let your lure drop and then pull back through down deeper so you can get the big ones......
hmmm how about Stripertraz :) at lake Powel :) good camping..awesome lake...I have access to 1 boat. :)
AND ITS WARM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dang we got 4 inches of snow yesterday with another 4 called for tonight. (its the end of april )

:yes: :yes: 1 million Oh yea would be a great trip. Never been to Lake Powell but I have seen lots of programs filmed there. Maybe the Stripertraz trip is in the works. ;)

#13 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:41 PM

Back when I owned a boat ( a money drain it was ) we use to go to the east end of powel ( bullfrog ) and put in there and camp....would do day trips down channel and back up....was a blast on the lake.
did some fishing, ( but I'm really not that much of a fisherman )

would see lots of guys fishing the walls and telling us..the fish are 32 ft down... or 27 ft down... I didnt have the gear or the know how..but they pulled up some big ones....( not quite as nice as yours mark )

then in the fall they would talk about the chad running??? is that correct?
anyway the stripers would hold up and wait when they would come out of the side chanels and fingers and you would see this churning swirling water... really amazing... guys would follow those churns and be pulling in fish as fast as they could cast out threw it.

yea I'd be up for a fall trip to powel :) in a heart beat...
( and I'm pretty good friends with the guy who bought the boat )
so I have access to it as well.

just need a big old houseboat, a couple of jet ski's and we'd be set for a fun 3 or 4 days :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users