15 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

Jason and I took the time to scout and roost turkeys the night before opening day on the wildlife area we hunt. We walked way back into an area where only foot trafic is allowed. Waited till almost dark listening for turkeys to fly up on the roost. What happens? Somehow some jerk got past the gate in a car and comes flying down the road right through where we knew birds like to roost. So plan B. We locate a bird in another area with just minutes to spare and decided to try for him in the morning. We get there at 4 am, put out our decoys, got hidden in a good spot, and waited for daylight. Just before dawn we owl hooted and were rewarded with several gobbles. The start of a great hunt right? Nope! :no: Right about then this jerk walks right up within 5 yards of us, stands there looking at us , then turns walks about 30 yards and starts calling! All he succeded in doing was spooking the birds off the roost and ruining our hunt. We tried other spots but idiots were driving up and down the roads like they were headed to the races, walking right in on your set ups, and being plain idiots. We've had enough. We went through that on a managed muzzleloader hunt and now on our much anticipated turkey hunt. No more hunting pulic land for us. Just not worth the headache. What ever happened to being considerate to other hunters?

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:27 PM

Unfortunately it is happining more and more. :curse: I feel your pain. :(
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:34 PM

During the week, most of the knuckleheads are absent on public land.

Opening days and holidays are sheer chaos.

I have my own public land horror stories. It's fortunate I'm here to tell them, I'll leave it at that.
Posted Image

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:41 PM

Add to that being stalked and shot at (or having your decoys shot at) a couple times and you have turkey hunting in PA. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:07 PM

During the week, most of the knuckleheads are absent on public land.

Opening days and holidays are sheer chaos.

I have my own public land horror stories. It's fortunate I'm here to tell them, I'll leave it at that.

Leo I agree 100%. Ask Phil about his experience turkey hunting at our lease.
It's not just on public land. :no: :( :(
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:13 PM

I've read a bunch of stories on how inconsiderate hunters are to other hunters. I really don't know first-hand what it feels like because we hunt on my uncle's and my dad's friend's private land. If any of you want to come to MN and Deer hunt or hunt anything else you'll have a ton of animals and a very low risk of getting shot my another DUMB hunter. Sorry about your experience Norm.
-Eric

#7 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

I've been stalked 7 times total during spring gobbler season in the following counties here in PA.
Lycoming, Clinton, Warren, Centre, & Armstrong :angry:

Twice the other hunter had his firearm shouldered in a firing position while closing in on my calling position. Everytime the hunter took off running upon hearing my "polite Hallo"....except one guy who started away but stopped( He worked for the State Fishery dept. & was tresspassing). He did admit his own stupidity and hasn't come back. It's DANG SCARY to have happen....everyone was an older hunter(over 30) from their apperance. In each incident I had at least 100 square inches of Blaze Orange displayed in plain view at my calling location.

If This Happens To You...NEVER-NEVER-NEVER wave or try to signal the approaching hunter, because they're keyed up looking for movement....STAY STILL and YELL STOP !
********************************************************************************

I never gave chase because I won't run with a loaded firearm or try stopping an armed moron who's intent on getting away. I do feel a lot safer hunting with the guys at camp as we team up usually and can watch each others back.
Posted Image

#8 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:19 PM

I do feel a lot safer hunting with the guys at camp as we team up usually and can watch each others back.

I to feel the same way. ;)
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club

#9 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

theres nothing like siding on a hill side with the decoys in front of me. hearing a pair of toms cutting each other off at my call. 12 gauge at the ready pointing that way, what pops over the hill side right on my bead sight? a hunter stalking me with out his orange on!! I wouldnt have to move but to squeeze the trigger and dead he be. the *** just waives at me and heads off in the direction of my birds. I need to take a paintball gun with next time so I can shoot him and get away with it. stupid people shouldnt have the right to breed.

Edited by Whitetiger, 16 April 2007 - 08:35 PM.

#10 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:31 AM

Around Tennessee,is just as bad.................Guy's driving up and down the road just waitin' for a Tom to come across the highway..................Some of them drinkin' too! :no:
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#11 Whitefeatherwoman

Whitefeatherwoman

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:02 AM

Ok, this really puts a scare into me. I am so glad we hunt only where we know others are, private land,with just us or very limited hunters on it. I would be more apt to go to a strangers house and ask permission to go hunt than to any public land. There seems to me, that there are too many stuipid inconsiderate people (with hunting privledges) out in the open ready to fire on anything that moves.
I would rather be on a lake thinking about God,
then sitting in a church thinking about fishing.

(unknown)

www.myspace.com/heatherapowell

#12 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:54 PM

WFW,
Don't let fear keep you from enjoying a turkey hunt....let it serve to make you extra careful & ever alert!
Posted Image

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

I too have had a few whews when hunting. If you are new to turkey hunting listen to tapes of real birds calling and gobbling so you can determine if what you are hearing is a real turkey or not. Most times you should be able to tell a real turkey from someone calling. Regardless, if you are certain that you are hearing a real turkey do not try to stalk it to within shooting range. Set up at least 100 yds or more away and call it in. That is the fun of turkey hunting anyhow. If you should see another hunter, remember that person is keyed up and looking for any kind of movement also remember you will very very seldom be able to stalk into shotgun range of a wild turkey. They are just too wary and alert. In PA we must wear at least 100 sq inches of orange when we move and it is highly recommended to place an orange band around a tree within 15 feet of your setup. This will not protect you but will help. Also remember you only control your shots until you pull the trigger so be very careful up to that point.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#14 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:31 AM

I try very hard to lock up private land, except elk. You can get er done easy on public here.

fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#15 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:30 PM

Wow, I do consider myself fortunate in that I've been hunting strictly private land in MN and WI but it can happen there too. I talked to a landowner years back and he said to come down but that he had another guy hunting and the guy insisted that he meet me. So I went to the landowner's house and met the guy. The property was divided by a road and the guy gave me the option of taking one side or the other with explicit instructions not to cross over. Then he told me a story about getting shot by another hunter on private land who wasn't supposed to be there.

Spirithawk, it just amazes me how someone could walk up to you knowing that you were there and have the guts to stand there and call. I'd be tempted to make his day one he'd never forget but that always lead to more trouble than it's worth. It just makes a person shake their head and wonder what the heck is going on in this country of ours...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users