10 replies to this topic

#1 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:52 AM

Has anyone else's state gone way up on hunting licenses? Last year, here in Colorado, a spring turkey tag cost us a total of $10.25. Yesterday, Melody and I went down and picked up our '06 spring turkey licenses. Each one came to $26.00!!!!!! I couldn't believe it; $52.00 for 2 people to hunt 2 turkeys. We volunteer with the Colorado DOW's Hunter Outreach program whose goal is to introduce new people to the sport of hunting in an effort to reverse the trend of declining hunter numbers. And then the state board goes and almost triples the price of a turkey license (including the new $5.00 "Habitat Stamp" required on each of your first two licenses). Melody, as the thrifty one in our family, has said she is not going to hunt turkeys after this year because it's just not worth it. A little upset? You bet I am, and I wrote a letter to the DOW stating just that! :angry:
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#2 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:16 AM

Give em heck Larry!
Here in PA it's not to bad. You get a spring gobbler tag with your general lic. and a fall any bird tag. Now this year you can purchase an additional spring gobbler tag for around $20.
I thought Colorado just put it to us out of staters.
Last time out there non res. tags were not bad.
Elk was $250 and deer was $150.
That was the last year of that.
We talked to a very nice DOW warden our last day out in unit 461 or 46
can't remember which. He said he just dosen't understand what "the powers that be" have going through their heads.
I haven't even looked at non res. tags lately.....how bad has it gotten?

#3 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:16 PM

Hey J, I don't know what they were last year but it looks like the non-res big game antlered tags have actually gone down just a hair. Antlerless looks to be about the same. Resident big game tags have gone up 31% though, so it's not just the turkey seasons that have been affected.

Edited by Larry $, 11 April 2006 - 07:31 PM.

#4 DianaB

DianaB

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:43 PM

Yikes Larry that is some serious moola! I just came in a few min. ago looking over a new place to Turkey hunt. I am waiting to go till the weekend.

I was going to run up and get my tags tomorrow during lunch hour. I am a bit skittish about what the price will be.

I normally will take one of my boys. It stung last year paying for both his and my tag. Oh well, I will pay it. Hunting, fishing and camping is my entertainment and I feel fortunate that my boys like to go with Ol' Mom.

Diana

The Adventure Awaits!
Diana

The Adventure Awaits
!

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

A non res Co cow elk tag is $254.00.

Diana. Having raised 3 kids two of which were boys, I remember more than once forking over for one license or another. But getting to spend time with them is near priceless.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:33 PM

I agree, Paul. A friend of mine (a family man) says that his time with his family in the woods during all the various seasons is priceless for family time. And still way cheaper than Disney or the like.

#7 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:53 PM

Yes, costs are rising. Here in Minnesota a resident pays $23 for one turkey. In Wisconsin, as a non resident, we pay $65.25 for one turkey, and in South Dakota as non residents we pay $85 for one turkey. I'd love to hunt Iowa for turkeys but as a non resident I'd be paying $189.50 for one turkey and if you ask me that's a little outrageous in comparison to other neighboring states. Yes, non residents should definitely pay more but it should be somewhat insynch with other states.

#8 DianaB

DianaB

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:26 AM

Paul:

I know exactly what you mean. The best times I have with the kids, they still talk about it was when we were on the farm and all the things we used to do in the woods and ponds. I sure miss them being out of the house. I took my grandson out calling Turkeys last year. He was just a year old. It was great! He would try and imitate the calls. The thing is Paul...lol... I ask the boys.. do you want to go deer/turkey hunting this weekend with me? It is almost like a bribe, they feel they can't turn me down because they know I will go alone and they think that it is just horrible that I never take anyone with me but the talks we have during those times, can't put a price on it.

The Adventure Awaits!
Diana

The Adventure Awaits
!

#9 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:46 AM

There is talk that this year will be the last we get our turkey tags for free.

Since every other state is on the rise on their tag costs, seems like a likely rumor. :(
Posted Image

#10 GP@AZ

GP@AZ

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:26 PM

You should just be glad that you can purchase over the counter tags in your state. and not put in for a draw and not be able to go for over three years in home state. Have to travle to another state to hunt Turkey's
But it would be nice to know that the extra funds would go to help the habitat or the wildlife in your area, and not higher saleries. Not to say they dont deserve wage increases also, but to help manage wildlife also. ;)

#11 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:33 AM

Larry, our big game tags have gone up as well .But the dept of hunting and fishing states they have a few million in surplus ...go figure....

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users