• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:38 AM

I just booked a fishing trip off San Juan, Puerto Rico for this July. Guide tells me that time of year should be a great opotunity to catch blue and white marlin and sailfish. I am pumped. I am normally not much of a fisherman, but I have to go down there to do some marine research with the Fish and Wildlife service....so what the hay....might as well try and catch a wall hanger!
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#2 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:53 PM

Sounds like a fun trip, hope you hook a biggun.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:00 PM

Good luck Whip!
-Eric

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:25 PM

Listen to you guide on how to reel them in and you'll have a trip to remember always. They can be a total fight and you'll know when you get the leader aboard boat. Best of luck.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

Better get a bigger wall!

Good luck

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#6 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:41 PM

theres NOTHING like offshore fishing. we love it. hope to go to Costa Rica next yr for a week to try some there.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:25 PM

I believe it will be similar to here, in July the sailfish will be the most numerous. A little bit of wind chop on the open seas and you have got a real decent chance. In my experience sailfish bite better when it's a little rough.

Take lots of pictures get a length and girth measurement then you can get a fiberglass repro made. It will look great and last forever. Skin mounts on bill fish don't hold up so well. It's not worth the headache or extra expense trying, believe me.

Releasing the fish may also not be an option. Often captains in other countries (also true in Hawaii) keep the fish to sell the meat. So ask if that might be a problem for you. Typically their fisheries can handle that kind of a harvest. Their coastlines don't get the sportfishing pounding ours do.

Resist the temptation to book a cheap four hour trip. Fishing for billfish is legitimately an all day affair. You need to be out there at least 8 to 12hrs for a realistic chance. Guys catch bill fish on 4 hr trips occasionally, but it's extremely low odds. Even offshore it's best when you catch at least one tide change while fishing. It makes a difference.

Edited by Leo, 10 May 2007 - 04:30 PM.

Posted Image

#8 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:51 AM

:cry: I want to go too! Good luck to you. Don't forget the camera and spare batteries. We want pictures. :D

#9 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:04 AM

Yep, all catch and release on this trip. Might keep some Dorado/mahi for dinner though.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff

#10 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:07 PM

Yep, all catch and release on this trip. Might keep some Dorado/mahi for dinner though.

If that's what the captain told you, that's cool.

I do feel, I need to point out again that sometimes catch and release is not the fisherman's choice in some areas. I know that most American fisherman believe they caught it they can do with it what they want. However, that is NOT the most common belief everywhere else in the world. Ask the Captain first. In general, the fish belong to the Captain NOT the fisherman on foreign offshore charters. I'm only cautioning you because I know guys who have had real bad experiences because they didn't respect what the captain of the boat wanted. Trust me, don't mess with what the captain wants. I'm only trying to drive this point home to save you some grief, so forgive me if it seems redundant.

Fresh Dorado are phenomenal. A fresh Wahoo is even better as is fresh yellowfin tuna. But be warned in advance many captains won't give up a wahoo or a tuna without a very healthy tip.
Posted Image

#11 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

Ya, I got all the details from him. Being the biologist I am, I would never keep a marlin/billfish. Graphite repro mounts look better in my opinion anyway. Dorado's and such were said to be fair game. I may not even keep those, depends on how unbelievably hungry I am :) Thanks for the comments Leo.. Would you say to tip 10%, same as a big hunt? Ya, if I cought a yellowfin....the captain may have a struggle on his hands...haha. :)
Sean Whipple
PSE staff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users