• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 basile j

basile j

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:46 AM

Was looking so much to the first 3D of the season, and came away so bumbed out.
Had 3 goose eggs and lost/broke 2 arrows in thirty targets.
Got to get more consistent. Would like to get through a 3D without loseing an arrow.
:(

Joe

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:58 AM

Basile J sorry about the shoot. I'm not much help since I haven't tryed the competitve circuit.

How much do you practise before? Dailey or weekly?
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 basile j

basile j

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:08 AM

Basile J sorry about the shoot. I'm not much help since I haven't tryed the competitve circuit.

How much do you practise before? Dailey or weekly?

Thanks Rowdy!
Was looking so much to the first 3D of the season, and came away so bummed out.
Got to get more consistent. Would like to get through a 3D without losing an arrow.

I practice, ah, em about every other day. After Sunday’s fiasco, I decided to get my HAA sight marked for specific yardage: 20/25/30/35/40 on a recommendation from Larry at C&M.. It took me about an hour and a half to zero it in after Sundays shoot. At the indoors 3Ds I shot this winter I had it set on 25 yards, and could calculate the pin from there. I was good because I was shooting on a flat surface. Tried that Sunday, and I was off much on them downhill and up hill shots. I usually am not an excuse maker, but here goes. My bow is only three weeks old, a Ross Cardiac, so I have been only shooting it at 20 to 25 yards. Shooting at greater distances showed me the sight was off to the left a few inches. I also got this squared away Sunday after the fiasco. Last night I practice at different intervals and reassured myself that I have corrected this problem. Now I have only poor yardage judgment, and shooting form to blame. I LOVE this new bow, but am still bummed out on how I embarrassed myself. Of course the one guy I shot with is ranked #10 in the world as a senior, and the other shoots professionally. They even asked me back for next Sunday. I guess they need humor.
Joe

Edited by basile j, 01 May 2007 - 11:01 AM.

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:13 AM

Thanks Rowdy!
Was looking so much to the first 3D of the season, and came away so bummed out.
Got to get more consistent. Would like to get through a 3D without losing an arrow.
I practice, ah, em about every other day. After Sunday’s fiasco, I decided to get my HAA sight marked for specific yardage: 20/25/30/35/40 on a recommendation from Larry at C&M.. It took me about an hour and a half to zero it in after Sundays shoot. At the indoors 3Ds I shot this winter I had it set on 25 yards, and could calculate the pin from there. I was good because I was shooting on a flat surface. Tried that Sunday, and I was off much on them downhill and up hill shots. I usually am not an excuse maker, but here goes. My bow is only three weeks old, a Ross Cardiac, so I have been only shooting it at 20 to 25 yards. Shooting at greater distances showed me the sight was off to the left a few inches. I also got this squared away Sunday after the fiasco. Last night I practice at different intervals and reassured myself that I have corrected this problem. Now I have only poor yardage judgment, and shooting form to blame. I LOVE this new bow, but am still bummed out on how I embarrassed myself. Of course the one guy I shot with is ranked #10 in the world as a senior, and the other shoots professionally. They even asked me back for next Sunday. I guess they need humor.
Joe

Sounds to me you have it figured out and need to work a few more things out. I guess thats why most guys and gals like shooting 3D so when it comes to hunting they have it down, well almost. :lol:

Heck you're in great company there shooting with the caliber as those guys. Just watching them and asking question would worth a hours of practise and mint of training hours.

I have talked to some Ross owners and they love that bow too. Well made and some what forgiving.
I'd bet money this Sunday you'll beat last week's performance with all the things you've worked out.
Best of luck.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:38 AM

I've missed the last two shoots so I've been out of the loop for two months. I won the first two, then started to sag. I waited for over two months for my DN2 competition sight to come in. It FINALLY came in last week and was minus the mounting hardware. CJ rebounded though and now the new sight is on the C3 and it's almost ready for action. I should get to the pro shop this weekend and get a few things straightened out and then I'm ready to take her for a test ride.

I've been slacking on the practice with turkey season - big thud there - and will likely pass on the IBO shoot in Bedford next week and opt for the local shoot instead. It'll probably be ugly but at least I'll be shooting 3d again. Need to get tuned up before Texas!
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#6 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:39 AM

basile j bubba you got one of my tips figured out, find about the best shooter you can to shoot with, and between targets pick their brain, let them watch your form, when you shoot, and just see what tips they can offer you. I have learned alot shooting novice stake, and walking with guys that shoot pro, one of the best ways i figured out yardage is just pace off the distances, and get a good clear mental picture in my head, after that it got alot easier for me to judge the 20 or 23yd shots or if they threw a 42 at me i could tell, or a 52 or a 2.... the2 yd shot is really hard to do, but it's a great feeling when you stick the 12 on it.
Semper Fi

#7 David Clayton Harrison

David Clayton Harrison

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:God, archery and hunting, and family

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:31 PM

Yesterday was awsome!
Yesterday was allot of fun. I met a bunch of folks who love archery also, I did not realize there were so many people who enjoy it as much as I do! I did a 3-D event, I shot 224 on 25 targets. I was having a really great shoot, but started getting tired toward the end, and 2 of my final shots I shot only 5s on. I had allot of 10's and 3 12's. and several 8's. This was my 4th 3-D event, I paid 15.00 to do the shoot. To get in on the competetion shoot, it was $35 so I just did the fun shoot for 15.00. I was very pleased with my shots. I hit another 12 ring, but it only counted as a 10 because some lanes were upper and some were center and some were lower. So I hit 4 12s in all, but 3 counted as 12. It was in the woods in Alabama, and some of the lanes were really interesting. One was a camp site with a tent, and a man in a lounge chair( a dumby stuffed man) and a fake campfire with a rotercy with a pig on it upside down, to shoot at, so the rings were not where you would expect, Several lanes were shooting over deep valleys, and one was a leapard on a slanted log. One hard shot was a turkey, and the 12 ring was in his bottom, like dead center , the turkeys exit hole, you know what Im saying, well, I hit below it and got a 5 on that target, the turkey was facing away. It was so much fun, seriously, go do a 3D soon! I drew a prize when it was over, I drew a new Mathews hat. I was happy with that, but wish I would have drew a bow. They had a few bows they gave away, and over 200 venders and businesses supplied prizes. It was catered by Tinkers BBQ , and I really enjoyed the shoot! I am going to the R-100 on May 1st and 2nd, in Wetumpka, Alabama with my wife. Well have a good day, and go do some 3-Ds, they are so much fun, and I am better this year than last year, which really makes me happy. Archery relieves stress, and builds confidence, but its not free. You have to invest time practicing, frequently, and on a steady basis! Several of the lanes were up hill and down hill and shooting between trees. It was challenging. One lane was shooting out of a tree stand up on a hill but low to the ground, shooting at a deer or a bear target down below, across a small valley. Every lane was really well thought out! It was the best shoot I have ever been to, out of the 4 in all. It was put on by Bow Hunters of Alabama. I shot in the bow hunter B Class.

#8 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:05 AM

Yesterday was awsome!
Yesterday was allot of fun. I met a bunch of folks who love archery also, I did not realize there were so many people who enjoy it as much as I do! I did a 3-D event, I shot 224 on 25 targets. I was having a really great shoot, but started getting tired toward the end, and 2 of my final shots I shot only 5s on. I had allot of 10's and 3 12's. and several 8's. This was my 4th 3-D event, I paid 15.00 to do the shoot. To get in on the competetion shoot, it was $35 so I just did the fun shoot for 15.00. I was very pleased with my shots. I hit another 12 ring, but it only counted as a 10 because some lanes were upper and some were center and some were lower. So I hit 4 12s in all, but 3 counted as 12. It was in the woods in Alabama, and some of the lanes were really interesting. One was a camp site with a tent, and a man in a lounge chair( a dumby stuffed man) and a fake campfire with a rotercy with a pig on it upside down, to shoot at, so the rings were not where you would expect, Several lanes were shooting over deep valleys, and one was a leapard on a slanted log. One hard shot was a turkey, and the 12 ring was in his bottom, like dead center , the turkeys exit hole, you know what Im saying, well, I hit below it and got a 5 on that target, the turkey was facing away. It was so much fun, seriously, go do a 3D soon! I drew a prize when it was over, I drew a new Mathews hat. I was happy with that, but wish I would have drew a bow. They had a few bows they gave away, and over 200 venders and businesses supplied prizes. It was catered by Tinkers BBQ , and I really enjoyed the shoot! I am going to the R-100 on May 1st and 2nd, in Wetumpka, Alabama with my wife. Well have a good day, and go do some 3-Ds, they are so much fun, and I am better this year than last year, which really makes me happy. Archery relieves stress, and builds confidence, but its not free. You have to invest time practicing, frequently, and on a steady basis! Several of the lanes were up hill and down hill and shooting between trees. It was challenging. One lane was shooting out of a tree stand up on a hill but low to the ground, shooting at a deer or a bear target down below, across a small valley. Every lane was really well thought out! It was the best shoot I have ever been to, out of the 4 in all. It was put on by Bow Hunters of Alabama. I shot in the bow hunter B Class.

Sounds like a great time, David.

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:04 AM

Got a new hat out of the deal - hey to me that would put a smile on my face. I like Mathews hats too. Good luck and have fun Clay!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users