Smoke Broadheads

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:05 PM

Well, folks, Brett from Smoke did end up sending Leo some broadheads to test.
The review was put on the site this evening.

I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong and by the looks of things my first impression may have been just that.

You decide. (Click Here)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#17 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:57 AM

Leo nice evaluation, really showed how you thought the process out and described it very well. I thought it was non-bias and a thorough test. Accuracy part looked great to me.

I wonder did it fully open on impact on the pig in Texas? I would assume passing through end to end there would be enough tissue to make it open for a large exit wound.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 21 September 2008 - 12:29 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#18 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:36 AM

Rowdy,

The smoke heads open BEFORE entering the animal and lock open. The head actually cuts a little bit bigger hole on the way in than it's cutting diameter would lead you to expect. The hide puckering in as the head impacts and starts to open actually gathers more hide in front of the blades.

On the pig it did indeed open on impact.
Posted Image

#19 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:57 AM

Rowdy,

The smoke heads open BEFORE entering the animal and lock open. The head actually cuts a little bit bigger hole on the way in than it's cutting diameter would lead you to expect. The hide puckering in as the head impacts and starts to open actually gathers more hide in front of the blades.

On the pig it did indeed open on impact.

Pigs tend to have a tougher hide than a deer or a bear so they ought to work on most big game in the U.S. - right? And cutting a larger opening is what's it all about, putting them down is what a larger hole will do for you.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 23 September 2008 - 02:58 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users