• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:31 PM

ok, i am going to myrtle beach next week, and there is a great big bass pro calling my name. i am wanting a shotgun to serve as a dove gun,skeetshooting, and deer drives....i realize with 175 budget choices are slim, i have been doing a little research, there are two models i am looking at, mossbergs maverick is in my range, as well as new england firearms has there pardner pump in my range. the maverick has a blued finish 28 vr barrel with one choke tube and the nef pump is 28 in vr with a matte finish and one choke tube. i realize the nef is foreign made but nef stands behind it, the maverick accepts all mossberg 500 componets except the forearm as it is molded to the slide rails. any experiences with either of these or areas to search for other prospects. i want to buy a new one, it always worries me to get used ones as i dont know where they have been, its a cop thing :wacko:

Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:39 PM

Go by how it feels first, and then look at the price and features. If it were me Id go with the Maverick because as you said, it accepts mossberg parts. That's just me.

Run
-Eric

#3 BrandonT

BrandonT

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors!

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:00 PM

Bill did you ever buy a shotgun??

I have a 20 gauge mossberg pump action that I've used for a few years until 2 weekends ago. I bought a 12 guage Benelli Nova pump. That 20 gauge Mossberg that I have, kicks harder to me than the 12 gauge Benelli does! If I were you, I'd save up just a little longer, for under 300 bucks you can get the Benelli and have the choice of the recoil reducer in the stock for those heavy deer loads on the drives. And you get 3 chokes with it. But if you are set on the 175 dollar budget, either gun isn't bad for the money.
BrandonT

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:31 PM

The Benneli Nova is a great gun. My son Jason had one. We turkey hunt, with our shotguns though, so he traded it for a new Mossberg 835 3 1/2" Mag pump with cammo synthetic stock. Haven't regreted it one bit. I like Mossberg but one thing you might consider is that if you add just a few dollars more you can get the NEF shotgun along with an interchangeable muzzleloader barrel in .45 or .50 cal. The combo is about $250. That's not a bad deal.

#5 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

Ever considered a remington 870? Probobly my favorite for the price.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:21 AM

I defiantly agree with that.....If you are able to put away a little but every now and then you will be happy with an 870 and all of the aftermarket things available for it.
-Eric

#7 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:20 AM

Isn't the Maverick a "youth" model? Make sure it fits before you plunk down the cash.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#8 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:41 AM

Isn't the Maverick a "youth" model? Make sure it fits before you plunk down the cash.

The Bantam and 505 series are Mossberg's youth models. The Maverick is a full suzed shotgun similar to the regular 500.
-Eric

#9 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:18 AM

they also make a youth maverick I was looking at one for my daughter at X-mas time but they do have a full size maverick
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#10 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 02:53 PM

Ever considered a remington 870? Probobly my favorite for the price.

now your talking...imo...the best all around gun....i cut my teeth on one and now i put my dentures on it...lol....
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#11 rbduck

rbduck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

Don`t know about the prices in the States but would a good second hand 870Express be in that price range? Like Tom said, you can`t beat an 870.

Ron :D

Edited by rbduck, 17 January 2008 - 09:46 PM.

Quail is the virgin
Duck is the mature woman
.....Iron Chef

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users