3 replies to this topic

#1 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:07 AM

We have recently been given access to some swamp land with among other things - hogs. GA does not allow baiting but you can feed them. I have picked out a location that has some fresh hooking sign on several trees near by. It is pretty thick in most places so I have a stand on the edge of the swamp near the fire break to allow easy access. Any suggestions on how to hunt hogs - without dogs when you can't bait?

#2 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:42 PM

Vcross, I asked this question on another site that has lots of down south hog hunters, serious ones at that. Maybe this will help you out. http://archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=495690

#3 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:23 AM

Thanks - actually heard one nearby - went to investigate & found fresh mud rubs and hooking so I know he is in the area. We found out that the land owner can apply for a permit to hunt over bait after turkey season & before deer. We are in the process of doing that now. It feels a little like stumbling around in the dark but I am sure we will figure it out - at least maybe I'll get a good story out of it & maybe some bacon!!! :D

#4 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:03 AM

Hawg Lite

Vickie, when we hunted down in texas, the guys used these on their bow's. Its a red filtered spot light, made to attach to your bow and a on off trigger is placed on the back side of your grip. you can click it on when the hogs come in, and they dont see the red light. ...THEY WILL however see their shadows, and possibly spook.

IF you are allowed to spot light them, this is a good way to do it. In texas you are, and by some of the post I read in Jeffs link, it sounds like you can spot light them in Ga as well.

good luck, sounds like a ton of fun.

ohh start saving up apples and making burlap sacks of hog bait, that and oranges.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users