5 replies to this topic

#1 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:53 AM

I have been seeing some strange fish under our dock (Lake Seminole in south GA). I talked to DNR & they told me it sounded like tilapia. Looks like the ones I saw on the internet. They are not native to south GA & are defiitely good eating. I have tried to catch them & they won't bite anything that I have tried - worms, corn, peas.... I can see the fish very clearly - tried leaving the bait still; on the bottom; off the bottom; jigging it up & down........no luck. I am going to make some dough balls tonight & put some algea in it & try that :blink:

Any other ideas??? :help:

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:39 AM

The only way I know to catch them is in a net or snag them. They just munch vegetation and don't eat bait or hit lures. If you can throw a cast net you can get some. But they don't stick around for second chances.

If you do manage to get a few it's crucial to remove the body cavity lining before cooking them. Filleting them without gutting is preferred. Juices inside the body cavity will taint the meat. Also I advise skinning the fillets.
Posted Image

#3 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:53 AM

I have never fished for them, but I did some Internet research and what I learned was this : hard to catch in clear waters, are primarily vegetation and algae eaters, light line like 2lb test works best in clear water, small hooks- size 10 or 12 works best. Red worms , crickets, dough balls, pieces of corn for bait, although it sounds like people are using small pieces of each. No floats or bobbers. One guy from Houston Tx. said he used small pieces of Oscar Mayer hot dogs for bait and did real well, but that he didn't have much luck with the cheaper brand hot dogs. Another bait was small pieces of cheese. Anyway, it sounded small line, small hooks and very small bait was key. Up north here when we find schools of hard to catch fish by our docks, we use 1/4 sticks of dynomite. Works good if you get it to sink, kinda hard on the docks though. Try small pieces of "cocktail " size shrimp, works great on panfish up here, and try sprinkling goldfish food into the water to create a "feeding frenzy". Sounds like a Long rod like a fly rod or cane pole so you can stay back a bit might help also.

Edited by mudduck, 11 May 2007 - 11:21 AM.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

I know this is an old post but here's some things a person might try. Found these tips doing a search;

WE find them on sonar and drop small jigs tipped with pieces of minnow.

I was catching tilapia on small wet flies from a bass pond in southern Alabama last fall while fishing for bluegills.

I seen hispanic fishermen and women in South Florida catch huge Tilapia on simple hand lines, Their bait was a worm rigged under a float to hang just off the bottom.

I grew up in South Florida and have caught a variety of exotic tilapia in residential lakes / canals. For bait, I've found simple breadballs w/ float will usually do the trick... Regardless of the freshwater species I am fishing, I always bring bread and throw it around my area to get the small fish stirred up and the big ones interested.
I've also caught tilapia on live worms / a float, small jigs and minnows. During spawning they'll attack just about anything to protect the nest.

Edited by Spirithawk, 24 April 2009 - 10:20 AM.

#5 swampdogg

swampdogg

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:hunting,fishing and being with my 2 boys

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:15 AM

when i lived down in fla i used to take an old bagle and peel the skin off used small hook on a cane pole they are fun to catch
Eat more possum!

#6 blackvenom2000

blackvenom2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:38 AM

Yep, not a bad fish to fry up in some butter by the campfire but nothing I'd go out of my way to try to catch.
Unbeing dead isn't being alive. - e. e. cummings
Cheap poker chip sets / is300 body kits

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users