11 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:28 PM

Posted Image

I decided to try some of the American Pioneer Powder 3f grade in my cap and ball revolver. I am sure glad I did. I had an absolute blast shooting today. Little to no fowling, excellent ignition, good power, I ended up shooting seventy two rounds without swabbing the barrel, or the cylinders. We threw a lot of lead down range you might say. I shot at 25 yards. I shot free hand, combat style point & aim, and some rested shots. The revolver performed perfect. I also had a chance to try out my new cylinder loading gizmo's. It worked real good. Made loading the cylinders a joy instead of a chore. The worst part was smearing the lube over the cylinders.

I was shooting 25 & 30 grain loads of APP 3f. I did use a wad. I was shooting .451 roundball. And using #10 Remington caps. I wanted to test the accuracy of the American Pioneer powder and the power of it. I do get better accuracy with Goex 3f, but for the difference in the mess, I can sure live with the accuracy.

Power wise, I shot at the 2" thick treated plank. As you can see most all of the ball was able to pass through the plank. Also the rock that the plank was leaning against was still able to splatter the ball. This kind of made me rethink of the power and ability to take larger game with it. If it penetrates a 2" pine board, it would probably get some good penetration on thin skinned animals like a deer.

With the American Pioneer Powder the revolver shot higher then with the Goex. The paper target shows the hits at the top of the paper. I had to actually hold the green circle on the top of the front sight to slide them ball in there. Not to bad a group for 25 yards. And it sure was fun.

Also clean up with the APP was excellent. I took the wood grips off the revolver frame, and got some dish soap water made up and scrubbed all the parts. They cleaned right up. After that I patches the barrel and cylinders but they were really very clean. It did not take as long to clean like with Goex. It makes me want to get some more APP just for the revolver. I shot darn near the rest of the pound of powder off.

If you have a cap and ball revolver, I would recommend giving the APP a try. It sure makes shooting and cleaning a lot more fun... Heck of a way to spend the afternoon.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:57 PM

Cayugad, by "The worst part was smearing the lube over the cylinders" I'm suposing you mean to seal the cylinders to keep them from chamber firing? Have you ever tried the felt pads that seal the chambers instead? Load powder, ball, then pad. Makes it a whole lot easier and cleaner. Plus you can push one down on top of a light powder charge, fill the cylinder almost to the top with bird shot and then cap it off with another felt pad. Makes great loads for dispatching snakes, rats, ect. at close range.

Edited by Spirithawk, 20 May 2007 - 05:59 PM.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:36 PM

I was using the felt wad, but I put them between the powder and the ball. I am paranoid about chain fires. It happened to me once and that was one time too often.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:44 PM

I have never shot a cap and ball revolver but I can imagine that one chain fire in anyones lifetime is one too many. Good shooting. Glad to hear that APP 3f works good in that revolver.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:51 PM

that looks like the revolver I bought about 6 months ago for 20 dollars and what I do is use 30 grains and the ball then the felt wad as stated earlier only thing is when the felt wad (bought at bass pro pre cut to fit) I dont get the accuracy that I get when loading powder then patch then ball seems the felt wad deflects it and they are not as tight when the ball it pushing the felt but it is a blast to shoot for me the aggravating part is loading the 6 cylinders to shoot it takes so long to get done and get anxious to shoot again
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

That looks like it would be fun to shoot. I'm guessing you can use black powder revolvers there for hunting? Nice shooting

Edited by run'ngun, 20 May 2007 - 07:58 PM.

-Eric

#7 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:07 PM

not here I cant the law says Pistols have to be a min of 5 inch barrel (has that) bigger then a 38 ( meets that) but then it says "must shoot a straight walled cartridge ( well BP dont have cartridges so rules it out) I talked to a DNR officer and he said that it has to have a cartridge and BP pistols are not permitted :cry:
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:59 AM

In Wisconsin you can not use them for deer hunting because they do not meet the minimum velocity requirements. Like said, they would meet the caliber and barrel length part but not the velocity. I personally load the powder, then the wad, and then the ball. I then still put home made lube over the cylinders. That way I know there are two brakes for any spare sparks out there.

I have to admit I was surprised at the power of the revolver load. I never really expected it to blow through that plank as well as it did. When I took my time and used a rested aim the revolver really shot well. That large hole area in the paper target was the results of rested aim holds. On the board I was doing some fancy combat shooting and sprayed a little but over all.. at 25 yards I think I could hit what I aim at.

The really neat part is APP smokes like a devil When you shoot the white smoke is all over the place. I enjoyed that a great deal as well. Next time I get to the big city I am going to pick up another pound of the 3f.

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:44 AM

Cayugad, it sounds like you are hving good results with the 3f APP. Are the granuales of 3f APP coarser than 3f black powder. I noticed that the 2f APP was much coarser than 2f black powder. I found it harder to ignite too and finally gave what I had left to Spirithawk and he seems to really like it.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:12 PM

The American Pioneer Powder 3f while more course then say Goex 3f is no where near as bad as the American Pioneer Powder 2f. That APP 2f powder is so course that it can not even pour out certain pour spouts without jamming in the nose of the spouts. The APP 3f is no where near that course.

What I really liked is the clean up. It made shooting actually fun. Not once was I forced to break the revolver down and wipe it clean.

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:51 PM

In Missouri you can use a black powder pistol for deer as long as it is .40 or larger and only fires one projectile at a single discharge.

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

Paul, having a pistol chamber fire is kinda like holding onto a grenade, pulling the pin, and forgeting to throw! Cayugad, bud your lucky to still have your hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users