8 replies to this topic

#1 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:24 AM

I've been hearing a lot of hype, fishing for Carp! We have a small river where we have bowhunting for Carp. We would like to try them on line and reel, its got to be a hoot! We were hoping someone could offer info on Carp fishing. This would certainly limit the trail and error to a minimum and hold my son's interest! OK! mine too...
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:32 AM

Monk it's a pretty simple technique, small bobber, some split shot weight to get the bait down and small hook and night crawlers for the bait. You want the bait to be on the bottom slightly moving with the current of the river. I've seen folks use canned corn too. They throw the corn out around the hook with several kernals of corn on it too. It works. I saw one guy with a special slingshot to throw the corn out in a pattern around his hook. The bobber is more of an indicator that a fish is at the bait and not a float for the bait. Let the carp take the bait and hold on because they do fight pretty good, especially the huge ones. :lol: Good luck.

I've tried dough balls made of the cereal Wheaties but the dough breaks down too fast for how long you'll be fishing.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:04 PM

fishing info

heres a link to the fishing site I chat at. If you need carp or catfish info, its here. I go by my real name there (Scott Daw).

#4 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:41 AM

Rowdy, your info was excellent and found in the site Whitetiger posted. It's great site, thanks Scott. I'll be going soon!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

#5 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:28 AM

Take some slices of white bread with you, Monk. Wet the bread, and squash it around a single hook. The dough balls last for a long time, and work great. I want to hear stories about the 30+ pounders. :D

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:55 PM

I have an old secret recipe that is awesome for catching both Carp and Catfish. I'd tell you how to make it but it's a secret. ;) Actually it's a bit time consuming to make but it is deadly!!! Here's the recipe, so much for secrets. ;) :lol:
Boil cornmeal in an old pan till thick like a mush. Add crushed up wheaties cereal, 1 package of any flavor jello, a splash of vanilla extract, and about 2 cups of Briar Rabbit Dark Mollasses. Mix well and spoon into a square baking pan. Bake on low heat untill it becomes like tar, very black and gummy. Let cool and roll it into a couple fist size balls. It will be very gummy. Wrap in foil and let sit in a sunny place for at least one week. When you go fishing just pinch off a bit and roll it into a marble size ball and stick it on your hook.
I know this may sound funny, but I swear you'll never find a better bait for Carp or Cat's. Because it's so gummy it really stays on a hook good too. I'll give you a good piece of advice too. Eighther hang on tight to your rod or have it in a sturdy rod holder because when fish hit this bait they tend to nail it and run like heck!
I got this recipe years ago from an old fellow I met while fishing a particular lake. It took a long, long time, several fishing trips, and a lot of talking before he finally gave me the recipe. It's messy to make, and you won't make any brownie points with your wife, but you'll be glad you made the effort. It will catch fish when nothing else will!

Edited by Spirithawk, 28 May 2007 - 03:57 PM.

#7 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:03 AM

Believe it or not, I'll give it a try. And I'll keep your secret just between you and me. ;) I went carp fishing the other day and found the water boiling with carp! Carp everywhere!! And nothing!!! As many as carp were in this stretch of the river I figured I would at least accidentlly snag one, not! After a little additional research I found out what I witnessed was the spawn. Secondly they don't eat during the spawn! The spawn should be over in a couple of weeks. In the mean while I will give it a shot from time to time and hope to get lucky. There is trout fishing too...
Thanks again, Bart
Theodore Roosevelt

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:28 AM

Monk when they are doing the spawn you can just about walk up next to them if the water is low enough and pick them up. We did as kids in the local river. Obviously they flip around like all heck trying to hold on its like riding a wild horse.

Bowfishing them is what it takes about now during the spawn. :D

Spirit I bet that bait would work on bears too. ;)

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 30 May 2007 - 07:24 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#9 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:20 PM

Rowdy, where I grew up we had a river where we would fish for smallmouths, I now take my son there. As we would be fishing we would see carp working through the rifts. We started bring our bows. This river had boulders all through it. When fishing we would leave our bow on a boulder and when we saw a carp we would switch to the bow. We had a blast! Bronco riding carp sounds like good times, but I might be too old now. I did use some carp for trapping bait. Skunk, Coon, Possum, Red and Grey Fox seem to like it. My son and I are hoping to feel one on rod, reel soon! :D
Theodore Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users