Woohoo!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:44 AM

So, there I was... Sittin' in my Realtree, mindin' my own business. When all of the sudden I was jumped by five turkeys. Suffice it to say with my recent health issues it was an undertaking just getting into the woods. (I had help and was driven to the blind. Thanks dad!) Being able to draw the bow (albeit turned down to 50 lbs) can be attributed to adrenaline. It was going to be my last chance this season... And who knows what the future holds. So, I went for it and took the bow. I'm glad I did!

Behold, my first "legitimate"/recovered spring gobbler with a bow!

Posted Image

I aimed for the neck and wouldn't you know it I hit where I aimed. :) I just knew I didn't want to gamble on yet another body shot with my immobility. So, I decided it was head-bustin' time! The tiny fixed-blade broadhead cut the neck of the turkey about half way through. It was awesome to have the same recovery distance with this bird as with any I've taken with a shotgun. He was in a group of five jakes that came running to the decoys, tripping over each other all the way. Knowing what I know, it felt appropriate to shoot despite the fact that it was a jake.

Posted Image

I remember struggling a little bit while drawing the bow. But, once the bow was drawn and I took aim my adrenaline hit with full force and all I remember noticing was my heart pounding in my chest; not my creaky shoulders or back. What can I say? This was huge. Everything worked out great including the Carter Chocolate Lite release. I liked it so much when shooting indoor target I decided to try to use it for everything. This was it's maiden voyage into the woods. I like being able to clip it onto my loop and leave it there. It was really helpful to not have to fumble with hooking up under pressure. Of course, accuracy speaks for itself.

Woohoo! Now, I'm going to eat a steak for lunch and go to bed! My back is sooo stiff and sore. I did too much. Oh well... WOOHOO!!!

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:24 AM

Congrats to you Jeremiah! You did good.

It's an awful good feeling to succeed when the odds are stacked against you. Choosing to take the bow in those conditions is not insignificant.
Posted Image

#3 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:10 PM

Congratulations Jeremiah!

Excellent trophy.

fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:59 PM

Congrats to you Jeremiah! You did good.

It's an awful good feeling to succeed when the odds are stacked against you. Choosing to take the bow in those conditions is not insignificant.

What Leo said pretty much says it, congrats Jeremiah, heck I've been wanting to bow kill one for several years now, maybe this fall now. ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:30 PM

Party over here Woo Woo!

Congrats Jer!
-Eric

#6 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:47 PM

:thumbsup: Excellent rehab session Jer!
Congrats and praying for a full recovery for yinz!
Posted Image

#7 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:21 PM

Nothing like a little blood on the arrow to make things better.

Congratulations.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

Congratulations Jere. If a jake showed up on my set up this morning it most likely would have been lights out time. Besides jake wingbones make better calls than a full growed gobbler.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:50 PM

Nice going there Jeremiah. :clap: Now if the birds here in central PA would do the same. :hmm: I just don't know what to do different this year.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#10 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:03 PM

The last time I saw turkey act this way was probably 10 years ago. To this day I am not certain what the deal was. Back then I just assumed that breeding was done by the time turkey season opened. But, in all honesty, they may simply have been all henned up. Since I never really saw or heard a bird all season until the last day it's really all speculation.

Anyway, on the last day of the season I tried something very radical for me at the time.
1) I stayed in one spot the whole morning.
2) I made NO CALLS except the occasional cluck (not even a purr).
Seriously! I'm talking 2 maybe 3 clucks... Then nothing for at least 30 minutes. (I would actually check my watch.) At about 11:00 I had a gobbler go nuts. He started gobbling his head off as he was making a run for my location and boy did he cover the ground fast. Back then I didn't use decoys and when he hit the edge of the small clearing I was watching he knew something was wrong and left. Though I didn't get a shot off through the brush, that bird was just begging to be killed! My only encounter that entire season was a dandy.

I got the idea from an article I read many years ago about high pressured birds. The theory was that too many hunters focus on the yelp and turkey get used to hearing it. (Something I really don't believe today. But, I was willing to experiment at that point in time.) The stinginess came from other articles I had read claiming turkey can hear a single cluck from a quarter mile away. True or not, I don't know. But, it all sure seemed that way on that day.

If you're willing to possibly have one of the most boring mornings you have ever had turkey hunting you might give it a try. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:46 AM

Way cool Jerimiah. Congrats. :thumbsup: That's some good advice too. Thanks bud. :D

#12 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:25 AM

Congrats Jeremiah! :yes: :yes:

#13 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:46 AM

Jer,

You are the man! Congrats buddy, way to stick it out and overcome! Thanks for the tips! ;)
:yes: :D
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#14 Dean S.

Dean S.

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:09 AM

Way to go bud :thumbsup: !!

#15 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:10 PM

Turkey with a bow is a true trophy, Congratulations!!! Nice Pics too!
I have done what you are talking about several times. If they are with hens, quiet or had a lot of hunting pressure I just let them know I'm here and wait on them to come around to check me out. Sometimes I had them come in quiet, other times after a while they give a gobble to see if I'm still around and availible. :wub: I love it when they are responding, gobbling all the way in, but sometimes patience is the only game!
Congratulations again!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users