Stabilizer Suggestion

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

The other day I purchased a Stealth Stabilizer for my Switchback. I put it on today and noticed a strange noise. I just put my Mathews Convertible HD Rest back on (not tied on yet) and thought something was loose. Turns out the Stealth stabilizer is filled with sand or some other material! :o I didn't shoot it, but did everytime you move the bow there is a "swish" noise. :doh:

So my search continues. I had a Vibracheck, but want to try something else. I'm not too appealed to the "stick on" camo options Doinker has. If it is a dipped camo stabilizer, I'd need Realtree Hardwoods HD. Any suggestions that I might be over looking?

The only other stabilizer that looks appealing is the Sims S-Coil. Although there isn't a matching camo option ( :rolleyes: ) it's cheap and seems to be popular. Anyone use one? Pros and/or cons?

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:21 PM

I'm a little surprised you're switching from the Vibracheck. They make good stuff (even though they were bought out by PSE last year :P ). As to Doinker... There's Doinker and then their's Doinker. Their high end stuff is really nice. Sims S-Coil... I know it's popular. I've probably sold more of those than any other stabilizer. But, in reality, it's a solid metal bar with a hunk of rubber over it. It does virtually nothing to stabilize the bow and there are several others that do a better job of removing noise/vibration as well.

I've kind of settled in with Specialty Archery. The rubber pieces in the end and mid-section are Sims material. They hold weights. You can run either aluminum or brass in them (they come with the stabilizer). You can probably see in the pic of mine in the turkey forum I have the 12" model with the quick disconnect. I slide the middle weight forward. The farther forward the weight of any stabilizer is the better it will keep the bow steady. Generally speaking, a "long", rigid stabilizer which is weight-forward will help your shooting the best. Mind you, my 12" Featherlite model is actually lighter than an S-Coil. It's simply the fact that what weight there is, is set farther away from the bow that makes it stabilize the bow better.

Here are some of their HD dipped models... http://www.specialtyarch.com/huntstab.htm

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:36 AM

Chrud I use the Sims S-Coil on my Switchback and a module from Sims in the rear stabilizer hole too. It balances out the bow vertically-- before, during and after the shot for me.

No kidding the Switchback doesn't need a long heavy stabilizer for hunting- at least I don't like the way it feels and shoots with one.

I'd like to try some of the FUSE stabilizers to see if they are any great improvement. http://www.fusearchery.com/stabilizers/

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 24 May 2007 - 09:56 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:39 AM

The Specialty looks interesting. A downside I see with them, same with the S-Coil, is there isn't much weight there. I almost think that Stealth was a little too heavy. The Switchback is a fairly heavy bow to begin with, so I don't really know if I want something real heavy. I thought about the Sims Modular Stabilizer too.

Jer, does Doinker have any camo hunting stabs in the "higher end", or are the hunting stabs mostly the peel and stick camo variety?

I did not know that about Vibracheck. Well, I figured something was up since their website took you to PSE.com. I think the one I had was the Isoflex. It was a nice stab, but it didn't balance the bow quite the way I wanted it too. There is a different Iso, I forget the name, that is a little heavier.

At least I know which SKB case and sight I'd like to get. :rolleyes: :D

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:10 AM

My #1 priority in choosing a hunting stabilizer is one that BALANCES the bow. IMO, that's the key purpose of the stabilizer. They also help bows with risers that are "torquey", but balance is usually the big issue.

You put it on and the bow should sit in the ready to shoot attitude without any help from your fingers to straighten it out. If the bow leans forward with a stabilizer, select a lighter or shorter one. If it leans back often you can space it out with a connector nut and a screw to get the balance perfect. This is what I prefer, because if I change sights or rest I can easily adjust the balance of the stabilizer with this setup.

Edited by Leo, 24 May 2007 - 10:10 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:18 PM

Jer, does Doinker have any camo hunting stabs in the "higher end", or are the hunting stabs mostly the peel and stick camo variety?

Their high end stuff is all black and/or silver... Unless you get into the carbon rod models (almost the same thing as the Specialty I shoot) and then you get choices of red or blue as well. Oh, and you'll be paying ~$200. :P

As to weights and lengths... I wish you could try before buying. Shopping for a stabilizer is nothing if not trial and error. The only "constant" is that a long, light (usually carbon) stabilizer rod that weighs virtually nothing with even just a 1/4" weight on the end will literally make your pin hold steadier on target than a stubby, evenly-weighted stabilizer will. (Sometimes you may need to add a little back weighting as well with the longer stabilizer weight-forward stabilizer.) I try out (and sell) stabilizers by putting them on the bow and bringing it to full draw. Does it make the sight pin hold steadier or not is frankly the only question I ask.

Target shooters don't just shoot 24" to 36" stabilizers 'cause they "look cool". :D Check the weights on an Easton A/C/C target stabilizer rod sometime. They weigh nearly nothing by themselves. It's the stack weights for the very end that add the weight and it's that configuration that makes the bow hold the steadiest.

Now, enter the problem! Since we're hunting, a 24" to 36" stabilizer with a V-bar just isn't practical. Even a 12" can be a little tricky inside a ground blind. So, unfortunately, we compromise. As was mentioned above, I, too, use one or two Sims modules in the back of my hunting bow riser(s) in lieu of a V-Bar. Then the 12" Specialty oriented weight-forward is the front stabilizer. My Switchback XT does happen to be "balanced" with this configuration and does not fall forward. However, I would not mind if it did (within reason) provided my pin was as steady or more steady on target set up that way.

I would suggest you shoot the two stabilizers you have now and see if your accuracy is better with one over the other. If both are relatively "stubby" cans, you probably won't be able to notice a difference though.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#7 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:26 AM

I'm going to give the Stealth a try anyway. It might be a little heavier than I would like, but seems to hold well at full draw. I'm sure it will work very well.

It just burns me up a little bit. You try so hard to get you bow so quiet. Then you find out one of your accessories makes noise before the shot, kind of like an arrow rest that makes noise on the draw. :rolleyes:

#8 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:22 PM

You put it on and the bow should sit in the ready to shoot attitude without any help from your fingers to straighten it out. If the bow leans forward with a stabilizer, select a lighter or shorter one.

I did notice that with the Stealth. It does make the bow lean forward a lot. I found a couple from TruGlo that could be what I am looking for. They have one called the "Nullifier", which is gel-filled, similar to the Vibracheck. They have a 4" and 6" that are 1" in diameter and a 3 1/2" and 5 1/2" that are 1 1/2" in diameter. They are the same length as the Stealth, but almost half the weight and half the price. I'm waiting on a response from them about a couple questions I have, but they look like something I'd like to try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users