• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:10 AM

I was reading over an old CVA manual today, trying to help someone with a question they had about a rifle and came across this chart. The chart compares the strength of Black Powder and Pyrodex. While I always considered Pyrodex a "little" stronger, I never considered it quite what his chart claims. Interesting figure is, look at 120 grains of Black Powder. They consider that equal to 96 grains of Pyrodex. I would have never guessed the difference was that much.

So my question is, do you agree or disagree? If so any chronograph data to back your points?

Posted Image
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:26 PM

I was just pointed out, I think what they are saying is, take a powder measure and set it at 100 grains. Pour in Goex and it will weight 100 grains. Pour in Pyrodex on the other hand and it will weigh 80 grains. So the chart does make sense that way. You would get more shots per pound of Pyrodex then a pound of Goex.

Although I am surprised that in a manual put out by CVA they would get into weights of powder since everyone usually says, use a volume measure when you work your charge up. Do not concern yourself with the weight of powders.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users