17 replies to this topic

#1 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:26 AM

Most of you know Casey and I worked hard to get Tyler (BigT9293) his first bird this past spring, but it was not to be. We had birds close, but not close enough - a frustrating season all around. But, as it turns out, it was meant to be.

On the last day of the season - Mother's Day - Casey and Tyler were heavily involved in a baseball travel league tournament in Greenfield, IN, just east of Indianapolis. Our game wasn't until after noon so there was time to "sleep in", but not for Tyler.

Eddie and Tyler had hunted turkeys spring 2007 too, no luck, but on this Mother's Day morning Eddie walked out the back door of their rural southern Indiana home and heard a familiar sound. It was a boss tom gobbler on the back side of their 10 acres. "He's moved over" Eddie whispered. The bird was living on adjoining property, but this morning destiny moved him on the Webb place. Eddie was up early sipping coffee and preparing for the drive to Greenfield when the tom exploded from the nearby woodline. "We just might get lucky" Eddie thought as he raced to Tyler's bedroom.

"Get Up! That bird's on our place - Get UP! We just might get lucky!" Tyler wiped the night's long drive home from his eyes, jumped into camo clothes, loaded the shotgun and headed for the woods. Eddie, Tyler in tow, made their way to the end of the woodline, stealthily crawled within 100 yards and opened the conversation. The bird was HOT, down and on his way in no time.

"It was picture perfect...like out of a hunting magazine" Eddie explained to me. The boys were warming up for the game and Eddie was telling me the story. "Wait! It's Tyler's story - let's let him tell it." So Eddie retrieved Tyler, handed him the bag with pictures and a beard - a long 11.5" beard - and encouraged him to tell his story. The story was indeed a storybook picture perfect morning...father and son living the dream on 10 acres of their own - a legacy handed down - a right of passage - Tyler is growing into a fine hunter and an even finer young man. The smile on his face told the story before words were uttered. Eddie's face beamed as he listened to the story they'd told each other for two hours on the drive to the Greenfield ball park.

I was glad Eddie was blessed to be the one to help his boy take his first bird - there's something special about that moment. Eddie hugged me and thanked me for taking Tyler to Crane and for trying to get him a bird. I've always said if you really want to show someone how much you love them, love their kids.

Ten days later Eddie went home. His last time in the woods was with Tyler on a picture perfect first-bird hunt. He didn't want to be in the pictures...said it was Tyler's time. Indeed it was.

Posted Image

Rest well my friend.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:41 AM

Touching story to say the least. Way to go tyler. You da man. That is quite a bird so glad for you.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:10 AM

It is really magical when everything just comes together, nice bird!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:43 PM

Great story!
-Eric

#5 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:00 PM

A hunt to remember for sure!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#6 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:11 AM

Awesome Hunt for Tyler to share with his Dad !
Posted Image

#7 BigT9293

BigT9293

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:02 AM

Thanks Hatchet and everybody else i am glad i got to share that moment with my dad. i guess god knew what was goin to happen and didn't provide for us at crane. i will for sure keep on huntin turkeys though.
BigT

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:38 AM

Big T I am really saddened that I live so far away from you. I sure could use a turkey hunting buddy. If you should have an ocassion to be in central PA I am a grandpa for hire. I work in that area real cheap too. I have a question for you. Did you save your wings from the turkey. I am interested in the wingbones. The large bone next to the body and the next two out the wing are the ones needed. The two little bones at the tip of the wing are not needed. Now what do I want them for? I would like to make you a wingbone turkey call if you are interested. I would like to do this for you just for the fun of it. Let me know if you are interested.

#9 BigT9293

BigT9293

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 03:25 PM

I saved the wings but they are being mounted right now and everything else was given to the dog. Thanks for the offer though. i'll be sure to look you up if i'm ever in PA. this fall if i get a turkey i'll be sure to give you the wings.

#10 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:41 AM

Paul, that's a very sweet offer - you are a prince.

I have Tyler's fan, beard, spurs and wings. I've talked with a taxidermist friend of mine and he's going to mount them for him and I plan to help.

What a great group of campfire buddies. ;)
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:37 AM

Mark I assumed that he would want/get some sort of mount of his first bird. The offer still stands if he get another.

#12 BigT9293

BigT9293

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:30 PM

i'll be happy to take that offer.

#13 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:44 PM

Congratulations to Tyler

Marty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#14 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:56 PM

Tyler I'll do everything in my power to get you and Casey on birds come fall - that's a promise buddy!

#15 BigT9293

BigT9293

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:45 AM

I know you will mark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users