10 replies to this topic

#1 BSLugnut

BSLugnut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Bowhuntng<br />Travel to Italy

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:14 AM

I am looking for some information on a hunting consultant that is personable, professional and someone I can trust to book me quality once in a lifetime type Archery Hunts. I will start out with Elk, then a few other species before moving onto Red Stag and S.A. In my searches, I have come across “The Outfitter Network.” It appears that he also has the Elk Camp.com site and does some speaking at RMEF events.

I have also looked at Cabela’s T.A.G.S., United States Outfitters, Bullseye Outdoor Adventures Inc, Steve's Outdoor Adventures and Archery Only Consultants. Please provide any experiences with using The Outfitter Network or any of the consultants listed above? Or if you have a hunting consultant that you would recommend.

BSLugnut
“Remember...If you don't use your head, you’re going to have to use your feet.”

ROSS Cardiac 27” @ 62lb
Whisker Biscuit Drop Tine QB B2
Viper H1000 Sight
American Broadhead Co. Sonic Pro 100

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:56 PM

If you're not already a member of SCI I suggest you consider joining prior to planning any big trips.

Quite a few of us on this board have been some places. So a specific request for a certain kind of hunt will probably land you more information.
Posted Image

#3 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

Yep, SCI is a no-brainer. Plus, they are a valuable resourse on any disaplinary actions against a projected outfitter your thinking about.

BTW, DIY hunts are successfull in states that will hold good elk numbers( WY/CO). But you need to be prepared.

Also, only my opinion most outfitters are very very over priced. Some are worth the $$$. Find the right outfit--cool. If not, DIY

Fatty

Edited by bonecollector34, 18 June 2007 - 08:17 PM.

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#4 RicF

RicF

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:00 PM

BC
I kinda agree with you. if I lived out West in Wy or Co. I would hunt Elk the DIY way because I would know how and where to hunt these animals but you see being from the East and only having a limited amount of time to hunt it is necessary and often less expensive to hire a good outfitter. I cant afford trips out to Wy to scout for Elk/Deer/Mulies or what ever I want to hunt, if you put a dollar figure to the time i bet you spend scouting and planning it would prbly IMHO be big enough to choke an Elk. :yes:

Ric
PATIENCE - Kills Turkeys !!

Ric's Hunting Page

Posted Image

#5 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:19 AM

That is why you have friends in CO and WY. We say---they wenta that way :)

I am kinda burned out on elk hunting, mostly because i love to experience new hunts, see new places and just don't get the pop when I take an elk. But I have a 14 year old son who needs one and maybe that will light the fire back up.

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:55 AM

The other thing to consider is most really good outfitters are booked a season in advance or by the beginning of the year for the coming fall season. Elk is one hunt that will test you mentally and physically and one of the hardest to start out with by most hunter's standards. Best of luck to you finding the lifetime hunt. ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:39 PM

BSL you can look at it this way. A really good outfitted hunt will flatten the pocketbook faster than the wife at the mall. I went to Colorado last year on a DIY cow elk hunt on public land. Colorado guys on here hosted several of us on what we call Elkatraz. I drove and took a truckload of equipment much of which I did not need. It snowed on us at least 4 times but I learned a whole bunch about hunting elk at altitude. If I were going this year I know my chances wold be much higher than they were last year. The guys on this site that I met out there are just regular guys like you and me. They are not allowed to guide as none have that license. They will bend over backwards to see that you have a good time hunting while you are there. As huck put it you can afford to go to Colorado for about 6 or 7 years and still not equal one guided hunt cost. You can learn a whole bunch in that many years. The toughest thing was going from about 1300 feet in PA to camp at over 9000 feet and hunt from 10,000 to 12,000 and hunting a quarry you have only read about. Don't wait like I did till you are in your mid 60s to try it though.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:05 PM

I can't believe no one's mentioned RL as an excellent possibility for an archery hunt for Trophy Elk ! :blink:
Posted Image

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:59 AM

I can't believe no one's mentioned RL as an excellent possibility for an archery hunt for Trophy Elk ! :blink:

Phil I was thinking the same thing.

I was hoping he would pick up on it and run with it.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#10 BSLugnut

BSLugnut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Bowhuntng<br />Travel to Italy

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:06 PM

Who or what is RL?

BSLugnut
“Remember...If you don't use your head, you’re going to have to use your feet.”

ROSS Cardiac 27” @ 62lb
Whisker Biscuit Drop Tine QB B2
Viper H1000 Sight
American Broadhead Co. Sonic Pro 100

#11 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:22 PM

RL is a guy who goes by the name mzlloader on here. He has a guide service in Arizona. I don't think his website is working right now but if you search his posts you will find a bunch of pictures of succesful clients.
-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users