• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KENTUCKY NICK

KENTUCKY NICK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:19 AM

I am a newcomer to this forum, but would like to know if any of you have used the Black Mag 3 powder and with what results. I have used it and it works well for me, but would like to have other opinions. :yes:

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:57 AM

Posted Image

I have had the pleasure of shooting two pounds of Black Mag3. I liked shooting Black Mag3. It is clean burning. It is very powerful. It is easy to clean. And most of my rifles liked the powder. The bad thing about it is, very expensive, and almost impossible to find now unless you order it direct from the factory.

My White Ultra Mag really liked the powder. Shooting a 500 grain conical and Black Mag3 would make a real good hunting load.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:00 AM

Let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum. It is good to have you here. We will be looking forward to your insight on the forum....
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:03 AM

I personally have not found any here locally so have not had the pleasure of testing it out. Welcome to our site and I too look forward to your posts. What rifle(s) to you shoot? Since I am from PA I have a few flintlocks, a Sidelock percussion and an inline. I haven't experimented with many powders but use Goex in all my shooting right now. I have played with some American Pioneer powder in 2f and was not impressed with my results.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 KENTUCKY NICK

KENTUCKY NICK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:39 PM

Let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum. It is good to have you here. We will be looking forward to your insight on the forum....

Thanks Cayugad for your reply. I also have a hard time finding black mag 3. I have a place in Paducah Ky.Donns Shooting Supplys, but the cost is $30.00 per LB. Do you get a better price from the company direct or is it about the same. I understand that you don't have to pay hazard shipping on this. Thanks for your appreciated reply.

#6 KENTUCKY NICK

KENTUCKY NICK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:59 PM

I personally have not found any here locally so have not had the pleasure of testing it out. Welcome to our site and I too look forward to your posts. What rifle(s) to you shoot? Since I am from PA I have a few flintlocks, a Sidelock percussion and an inline. I haven't experimented with many powders but use Goex in all my shooting right now. I have played with some American Pioneer powder in 2f and was not impressed with my results.

Hay Ridge Runner; thanks for your reply I shoot a remington 700 inline for hunting, but have 2 hawkens that were kits and a couple of others that I have picked up. I also have a 1860 navy 44 that is fun to plunk with. I shoot pyrodex and black mag 3 The black mag cleans up better but is quite expensive, about $30.00 per lb. For practice I use cast my own maxi and round ball, but for hunting I use power belt 290 grn.. Thanks for your comeback.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:43 PM

You are quite welcome. In case you do not know cayugad you can fully trust his posts here and even in several other sites he and I go to. He is a real straight shooter in more ways than one. I am proud to know him and would love to meet him face to face one day. I have personally met a bunch of the regulars here on this site and all are the greatest. Except for a guy called McBruce watch out for him or he will have you try Colorado Milk Duds. They are filling but taste like crap. Inside Joke. Lol

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 13 June 2007 - 02:45 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:51 AM

I was ordering a half case of powder and a couple thousand #11 caps from a store. I think it was MidSouth Shooters Supply but will not swear to it. The case was made up of American Pioneer Powder, Pyrodex RS, Pyrodex P, and lots of Triple Se7en 2f & 3f. Since I shoot almost every day, I burn it off pretty fast.

Then I asked them if they had any Black Mag 3 and he said they did so I took two pounds of that as well. The hazmat fee did not hurt as bad that way, and I think I payed $28.95 for the pound of powder. I was told by a person in New Mexico that he orders it straight from the factory now. It seems there is some kind of distribution problem or something going on with the company. You just don't see it on the shelves.

That powder really behaved good in my conical shooter - White. I was more then pleased and the power of it was outstanding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users