11 replies to this topic

#1 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 03:39 PM

when we went to Ky this weekend I brought it with for wome plinking but had a problem with it there are 2 cylenders that are constantly not fireing I put new caps on them and nothing took the caps off and put them on another cylender and they fired put new ones on tried 3 times per cylender and nothing then put the caps on another cylender and B-A-N-G Im thinking that I need to replace the nipples on them cylenders or all of them .any other suggestions why it would be doing that? they are #10 caps on it now should I keep them the same or see (Im not sure if there is or not) if there is other choices for it
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

I have no experience with bp revolvers but it sounds like you need to replace some nipples to me too.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:46 PM

Definitely sounds like a nipple problem. I'd replace all six. That way you know what you've got.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:19 PM

First thing I did when I got my revolver was replaced the nipples. Kept the ones that came with it as spares. Also check the age of your #10 caps. Normally Remington makes the #10 caps and they come in a metal tin and do not get old on you.

Last, pull back the hammer on the revolver on the cylinders that refuse to fire and check the fall of the hammer. See if the cylinder is over extending on those cylinders. When you pull back the hammer on the revolver, give the cylinder a gentle turn back to where the hammer falls square to the nipple.

My friend's revolver over extended on two cylinders. It puzzled us a lot until I checked his hammer fall. Just a simple twist backward and it solved the problem.

Also when you load, make sure the nipples are nice and clear. Take a nipple pick and pick them. I like to take mine to an air compresser before I load and blow out each cylinder to make sure the nipple is clear.

Edited by cayugad, 18 June 2007 - 05:23 PM.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:13 PM

thats what I use is the remington that I bought about X-mas time I checked the hammer fall on them its hitting square on them (to me anyways)

Posted Image

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:58 AM

Have you tried running a nipple pick through them? Like Caugad said, that could be the problem. I take the cylinder out of my Colt and clean it good before loading. You can hold it up to light and look in each chamber and see light through the nipple if it's clear. I then replace it in the gun and pop a cap on each nipple to burn any oil that might be in it and the chamber. It also blows any dust out and helps clear the nipple even more. If they are clear and still won't fire I'd sure replace them.

#7 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:38 PM

Spirit I cleaned it and oiled it up before we left and when we got there I ran 2 caps through each cylender then loaded it and shot it my brother in law shot it and on the 3rd loading is when it started acting up and not fireing before I load it I always run a pick through it and check the primer holes to make sure that there isnt any powder residue in it or anything that may block it Im going to go get a set of nipples this weekend and see if that helps

Posted Image

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:11 PM

If the cap is not firing I'm sure that the nipple replacement will fix your problem. If you can, mark the two offending nipples before you remove them and if those two cylinders fire with a new nipple toss those old ones away but I would keep the rest as spares. If you have a set of calipers it would be interesting to see if those two are shorter than the rest too.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:35 PM

I'm betting new nipples fixes the problem.

#10 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:32 PM

If it is firing for three rounds before it starts to act up, I would wonder what kind of powder you are shooting? Black Powder will often times fowl out a cylinder. I think the new nipples will fix the problem. Also when it acts up, try taking some Q-tips with you. Dunk three or four of them held together in isopropyl alcohol. Then take those Q-tips and scrub out the cylinders. You can also take a cloth patch, put alcohol on that and use the Q-tips as a minnie cleaning rod. It sounds like the cylinders are fowling out or the nipple is...

Keep us posted. By the way, I started using American Pioneer Powder 3f in my revolver and shot over 60 rounds one afternoon without a single misfire, and never had to clean the cylinders during my day on the range. Also clean up at the end of the day was really easy.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#11 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:37 PM

If it is firing for three rounds before it starts to act up, I would wonder what kind of powder you are shooting?

I am using pyrodex P powder fffg not pellets its the most accessible around me every time I go to Bass pro they are out of regular black powder and only have the synthetic its been doing good except for this weekend

Posted Image

#12 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:01 AM

Pyrodex P does work good, but it also fowls out. Maybe just a good cleaning every third loading would do the trick. I am sold on this APP 3f that I just tried. I never had such an enjoyable afternoon on the range with that revolver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users