Photo

Peep Question And Survey

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: peep with tubing or without (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Peep with tubing

1. tubing (11 votes [37.93%])

Percentage of vote: 37.93%

2. no tubing (18 votes [62.07%])

Percentage of vote: 62.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:25 PM

bowhunting or not do you use a peep with tubing tied to the cable or one in the string and why?

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 18 June 2007 - 03:46 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:50 PM

My reason for asking is rather simple I have always used one with tubing. I am very interested in trying one with out the tubing to keep in line as I draw back. I was interested in the G5 Meta large hunter 1/4" and the Fletcher tru-peep max hunter in 1/4" size as well. I think I'll pickup some speed or kinetic energy by going tubeless.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:31 PM

I use no tubing. I found that most people who had trouble with the tubing were making it stretch too much. So, while experimenting in the archery shop, I found that there need to be very little if any stretch {tension} in the tubing to turn the peep correctly. With more experimentation, I did away with the tube and used a piece of dacron fish line and even dental floss. After noticing that my peep was in the same position after each shot, tilted about quartering away, I put the bow in the press and started moving strands from one side to the other { 3 from right side and moved to the left, and 3 from left moved to the right for example} until I got my peep straight. Took some time, but works great now- with no strings or tubing attached. Posted Image

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:07 PM

I have tubing with my peep site on my bow basically because it was there when I bought the bow.
-Eric

#5 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:11 PM

I use tubing on mine. I've never had a problem with my tubing and replace it before it breaks.

#6 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:36 AM

No tubing. I can get great peep alignment without it. Plus, the tubing costs you a lot of speed.

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:54 PM

I ain't used tubing since back in '63.

Well, at least since the 8th grade picnic.

:lol:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#8 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

I use the tube because it was there and the string I have is not setup as Jeff outlined. I've just never had trouble. Like WT said, I just change the peep tubing BEFORE it gets nasty.

As for the speed, I've never used a tubeless setup so I don't know exactly how much speed I'm loosing. In theory, I could shoot through a chronometer with the tube first then without and test it but I'm sure one of you will have that type of data right here. I'm shooting an AR-34 at 70# 30 1/2 inch draw with a 31 1/2 inch Carbon Express Terminator Hunter Supreme with a 100 grain point of whatever type you want to put in here about 535 grain total. IBO speed is documented to be 309 but I'm sure it's not with a draw or arrow of these types. Any idea how much I'd loose guys?

Good poll question and thread. Made me think about why I do anything I do in my Archery setup. Hum?
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#9 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:26 PM

no tubing here...want to keep it that way! :D
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#10 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:10 AM

Update: Friday I put in a 1/4" Meta hunter peep sight and it aligns nicely with my round front sight.
I made the change over to a peep sight with out the tube. I have had to change my sightís pin gape so they are closer together and my 40-yard pin had to be raised up. I didnít chrono the arrows yet but I guessing I picked up some speed. Peculiarly I had to adjust my arrow rest too about a 1/32 to get a different line and it improved my POI.
Noise factor has been reduced with eliminating the tube noise.
The only problem I have run into is the peep wants to roll outwards a 1/8 turn after each shoot and I might take it back in for an adjustment. Other than that Iím recommending the change.

#11 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:12 PM

I used a peep for a very brief time when I first started shooting but now go tubeless. I just adjust my peep before shooting and then spin my loop a little. Once the loop gets really tight the peep seems to stay in alignment pretty well.
Posted Image

#12 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:34 AM

I dont use tubing less hassle and in the event that it does break at that time when I really need it. The speed loss not really any issue I am more concerned with accuracy than with blazing speed, that just means I get to miss faster. I use a Tru Peep have been fore many years no complaints no problems.
Only the dead know the end of war.- Plato

#13 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:04 PM

No tubing here either, I've seen the results of the tubing breaking at full draw. Lets just say it was a nasty OOOOOOOUUUUCCCH.

MD

#14 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:35 AM

How can you tell when your tubing is bad?
-Eric

#15 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:26 AM

How can you tell when your tubing is bad?

Run the only way I knew when was the tubing would start to look chalky after 50 or so shots. The knot on my cable got loose on me is another. The one that will reach out and grab you is when it breaks! And thats' a full draw when it's stretched out. I would recommend buying some extra and just change it or change your peep sight out to one that does use one. I'm glad I changed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users