6 replies to this topic

#1 Bowdoc Jim

Bowdoc Jim

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:36 PM

How many different variations to paper tuning is there?? HOW do you paper tune??

Me if forced too I set up at 8' and adjust from there the nocking point if going up and down and spine or rest if side to side.

Personally I do a Super Tune which is totaly different.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:09 PM

Many folks papertune with field points and are really surprised when they punch a broadhead thru the paper.

Yes indeed, they can be different.
Posted Image

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:34 PM

With my hunting bows...

I paper tune for a start. I do it the way most do. (6 to 10 feet from the paper, shoot, adjust, etc.) But, ultimately, I broadhead tune to find the truth, if you will. (The Easton Tuning Guide outlines this.) Basically, I'll take three arrows with field points and three of the same arrows with my broadhead of choice and shoot them all at the same spot on a target 20 to 30 yards away. Minor adjustments are made to the rest and/or nock point to bring the groups of arrows (broadheads & field points) together. At that point when I have broadheads hitting where field points do I lock everything down. Usually, the bow will still paper tune well once this is done. If not, it usually means the arrow is over/under spined or something else is out of whack (like idler lean on a single cam).

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:57 PM

Jeremiah how much do charge to do this? Heck you aren't that far from me - couple to maybe three hours driving at the most. If you were any closer I'd be at your door step cash in hand. :yes: :lol:

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 12 April 2006 - 06:58 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Bowdoc Jim

Bowdoc Jim

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:38 AM

The super tune I talked about is this..

I start at 20 yards shoot a group on the target, hang a string with a plumb bob down the center of the group. Step out to 40 yards ( or 50 ) and using my 20 yard pin aiming at the same spot I shoot another group. In theory the group should be below the first but often it is not and adjustments are needed to the rest to compensate. Some adjustments are minumal.

After adjusting the rest repeat at 20 and then again at 40 till the groups are one above the other. Then I shoot my broad heads everything has worked out for me doing this. Instead of paper tuning. Last year I had a 3 inch group at 75 yards with the G5 Montec 100 grain heads. Or any other heads I choose to shoot for that matter.

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:16 PM

Bowdoc Jim thanks, this I can do myself.

I use a Rip Cord fall away rest that is fairly easy to adjust. So you say move the rest and not the sight for tuning in better grouping of target points and broadheads.

In the past I have made minor moves on my sights for hunting or broadhead shooting. Your method ought to eliminate that if all else is correctly in tune.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 Bowdoc Jim

Bowdoc Jim

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:54 PM

Rowdy Yates Yeah it works well for me doing that way, it is a differnt way of tuning But works well when done correctley and then you don't have to re-adjust between broad heads and field points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users