String Jump

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:15 PM

Since I'm in the mode of stiring the pot... lets hear on this one.

String Jump.

Now while in canada we were sharing stories with guys from Minn who white tail hunt.
their bows were set up with 10 yard pin/ 12 yard pin/ 15 yard pin 20 yard pin

and NEVER shoot anything over 25 yards.

so here I sit with a bow set up that starts at 20, goes in 10 yard hits out to 60.

the topic of string jump came up...that as an archer you give the animal enough time on a long shot to jump the string.
My personal observations on this ....hmm this might explain it
if someone walks up behind you , blows up a brown paper bag and pops it, right behind your ear, you jump/flinch
now if that same person is across the room and does the same thing and pops that brown paper bag, you slowly turn to see what the noise is. change the distance and your reflex reaction changes.

so if the animal isn't paying attention to you when you release, likely its not going to jump the way it will if your 12 yards from it.

whats your thoughts?
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:48 AM

I was totally amazed those hunters were sighted in so close. My 20 yard pins works fine for me for 15 yards out to 26 yards. And they were not competition shooters either.

The Noise reaction or string jump to a whitetail is their reflexs getting ready to run by dropping down to push off with their legs. They can drop amazingly low and in slo-mo video it's clearly seen and arrows can clear the deer's back. But if the deer stood up the arrow would have hit the boiler room and lights out. And if you're shooting some distance at them like 30 plus yards it gives them more time to react and cause a missed shot. IF THEY HEAR IT. That's why I stress to get your bow as quiet as possible before, during and after the shot because most whitetail hunters are taking less than a 25 yards shot.

I got to agree if the winds is right and the noise is low at 30 yards or more they will not be so alarmed to run. I have my setup for the longer 40 yard shot if it comes up but that would be the unusual one for Ohio woods.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:41 PM

You can't quiet a bow enough for a deer not to hear it. Bottomline if you can still hear the release of an arrow a deer can hear it better. IMO, you simply can't put a bigger or brighter "I'm a clueless rookie" sign on your forehead than shooting your bow and saying something like, "A deer can't hear that."

Inside 20yds is what I consider THE zone for "jump the string" behavior. Bruce has what I consider a very valid point about proximity to sudden noise. There is wisdom here indeed.

If a deer gets within 40yds, I'm shooting. In my experience letting them get too close is a recipe for failure. I've had plenty of animals jump the string and almost ALL of them were in that 15-20yd range. I feel most certain it's that close sudden loud noise that does it.

Does speed help? You're darn right it does. With speed usually comes more noise so there are trade offs. But will speed help reduce "string jumping"? I really don't think it should be a question.

Personally, I think that if your bow is reasonably quietly pushing an arrow at over 265fps, you're in the zone.
Posted Image

#4 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:00 PM

I agree with what was said. Deer under 20yds are way more likely to duck an arrow than those farther away. However, I have never had a relaxed animal duck an arrow. One that is coming in edgy and alert, ears up and forward, tail twitching nervously, slow uneven gait, dropping the head and then jerking back up- you would be wise to aim low. As for having a 10yd pin, they were from Minnesota. We got a lot of oddballs up here :lol:

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:04 PM

I keep my shots at a 40 yard max and always aim for the heart. If the deer ducks I get the lungs. Simple as that. I'm getting about 326 fps out of my Xbow.

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:33 PM

I agree Leo I'm your rookie! But I also agreed with Bruce when we talked about this driving back from camp.

I was more or less commenting on what those Minn.-deer hunters hunting bear were doing. I guess I got side tracked. Their setup was very loud and sighted strange. Bruce gave them a lot of pointers that helped and they thanked him.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:27 PM

I think whole thing behind any animal setting there feet or jumping the string or just basically reacting to noise is the same as you or I reacting to a strange noise we become very alert but in a different way. Yes I've done some no, no's like shooting deer when there looking at me but at five yards or less there is no time to react that fast. While I agree farther shots are higher percentage shot for the noise factor the animal dont have to react as fact for a shot to go wrong. The main thing is reading a animals body language no matter how close or far the shot.
I don't know how many TV Shows I have seen where they intentionally make a noise to stop the deer for a shot.
What it boils down to is confidence in your shooting ability and reading a critters body language and a lot of time spent afield hunting.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#8 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:50 PM

Now while in canada we were sharing stories with guys from Minn who white tail hunt.
their bows were set up with 10 yard pin/ 12 yard pin/ 15 yard pin 20 yard pin

Their bows must have been really really slow because I don't think at even 220 fps that there would be room enough to get their pins that close together. Just think about it, 4 pins to cover the distance between 10 and 20 yds. Amazing.

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:32 PM

Their bows must have been really really slow because I don't think at even 220 fps that there would be room enough to get their pins that close together. Just think about it, 4 pins to cover the distance between 10 and 20 yds. Amazing.

They were a father and two sons and the one older son had just graduated from high school and this was his high school graduation gift from his parents. Great folks.
I think the father shot a newer Hoyt and the son a Browning both were around 60# I think. They were shooting at a draw at least 28" if not more from their height. The other younger son took a 20 Ga. Shot gun.

I brought up the fact that under 6 yards they should use a 30 yard pin and they were beside themselves. I said use it and see, Bruce agreed with me and the two, they said they'd give it a try but they didn't have a 30 yard pin. :o

#10 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:45 PM

I didn't intend to put anyone down for where they are from or how they hunt. if it came across that way my appologies. Keary and his boys are really great folks.

My point is that there is reflex reaction ( which is what I consider string jump to be ) and that is more dramatic at close range rather then at a distant.

The argument that i hear is that if a deer will jump at 10 yards and you miss, why are you taking a 30 yard shot. from my personal experince at 30 yards the deer looks at you instead of jumping. ( now my experince with white tail archery hunting is very limited ) so wanted to get it out there to some of you who hunt white tails :)

I also figured we needed to stir things up abit...been way to quite around here :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#11 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:53 PM

I wouldn't think twice @ shooting an arrow at a w.t. deer feeding 50 yrds away. My furthest one last year was 45 yrds, she was laying under an oak tree when I shot. No jumping the string for her! If you are confident, know your LIMITATIONS, the deer is CALM/unaware of your presence-go for it! I put more emphasis on body language than anything.

#12 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:06 AM

I also figured we needed to stir things up abit...been way to quite around here

Bruce, all ya gotta do is bring up a subject like "High fence" hunts, Baiting, Antler restrictions, QDM, Best Bow on the market, Long range shots, best broadheads, etc. to stir the pot. I love a good discussion/ debate, it causes one to stop and think about others views, and to examine the merits of one's own position on the topic at hand. Also, I wasn't knocking the Minnesota guys, I'm a Mn. guy, and I applaud the fact that they limit their shots to 25yds or less. That takes disipline, and a good hunting ethic.

#13 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:09 PM

Jeff :) yep I know your from their neck of the woods
gotta say I would hunt with Keary and his kids any day of the week. really good people.
His oldest son had a fun experince. ( speaking of displine ) he had a bear climb the tree his tree stand was in, not once, not twice but three times

fourth time he finaly took the bear
you see it wasn't the bear he wanted...and he figured he could wait it out.
but having a bear try to lick the souls of your feet 3 time....well 4 was just to much for that 18 year old kid to take....
so he has a bear and a heck of a story to go with it.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#14 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:36 PM

I didn't intend to put anyone down for where they are from or how they hunt. if it came across that way my appologies. Keary and his boys are really great folks.

My point is that there is reflex reaction ( which is what I consider string jump to be ) and that is more dramatic at close range rather then at a distant.

The argument that i hear is that if a deer will jump at 10 yards and you miss, why are you taking a 30 yard shot. from my personal experince at 30 yards the deer looks at you instead of jumping. ( now my experince with white tail archery hunting is very limited ) so wanted to get it out there to some of you who hunt white tails :)

I also figured we needed to stir things up abit...been way to quite around here :)

I don't think you did Bruce and I hope I didn't distracted with my "rookie" comments (and I am - I admit it) any about the string jump using the Minn Hunters as examples. I enjoyed having them in camp this year, like I said "great folks". The older son who just graduated made spinning rods from scratch that rival the very best I have every seen made from the blank up, incredible rods and lots of hours into each one and he sells them if anyone is interested.

His demeanor telling his bear hunt was something at 18. I told him he should take the time and write it up for a publication. Genuinely a great read if told in his own words.

I heard a bunch of great stories at camp and that's another reason you'll enjoy a bear hunt.

But I think everyones comments on this thread makes some real hunting sense to me, reading the animal's body language plus some distance over 20 yards(if your'e comfortable with taking a shot more than 20 yards) would help the bowhunter from causing a deer to string jump the shot. Right???

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 25 June 2007 - 01:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users