8 replies to this topic

#1 BigT9293

BigT9293

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:27 AM

i shoot a knight 50cal mk 85 with 100 grains of pyrodex powder and 145 aero tip powerbelt bullets. every third shot i take it is off the money but the first 2 are dead on how would i fix this. a friend of mine said switch to 245 grain bullets and that should fix it i just want another point of view. Thanks

BigT

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:14 PM

I don't know much of anything about muzzle loaders but I'm thinking it needs to be cleaned after the first two shots. Muzzleloaders get dirty fast so I'm thinking that's your problem. Wait until someone else comes along before you listen to me though.

Edited by run'ngun, 23 June 2007 - 03:57 PM.

-Eric

#3 BigT9293

BigT9293

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:24 PM

I'll try that , i'll wait around though for someone else too thanks.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:14 PM

How much fouling are you getting after that second shot? Sounds like that's your problem. If that third shot doesn't go down smooth , and hit accurate, then I'd simply swab the barrel first. Simple enough fix. It never hurts to experiment with loads though. Just ask cayugad. ;) :lol:

Edited by Spirithawk, 23 June 2007 - 06:15 PM.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:23 PM

Powerbelts are a slip fit conical. I will guess that what is happening is by the third shot, the fowling has built up in the barrel enough to effect the accuracy. Get some Isopropyl alcohol 91% (rubbing alcohol) at your local wal mart. Mix that 50/50 with some car windshield washer fluid. This mix is an excellent swabbing solution. You can also use it to clean your rifle at the end of the day. Although it will not remove lead, copper, or plastic residue.

Just dampen a patch after your second shot and swab the barrel working the patch in short strokes down the barrel to the breech. Bring the patch up the same way, turn it over and swab with the other side of the damp patch. Then swab the barrel with two dry patches. The alcohol in the mix will help dry the barrel faster for you.

Then load your third one just like you would have your first and see if the accuracy does not come back to you. Also be sure to let the barrel cool between shots. If you are shooting fast, the barrels, especially in the summer, can heat up and that can effect the accuracy of the rifle.

Why you would want to change from an accurate projectile to an unknown is not where I would go. Stick with what works and see what happens.

Also you might want to try some 300 grain XTP in .452 diameter with about 85 grains of pyrodex RS and see how well that shoots out of your MK 85.

Good luck with the rifle.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 BigT9293

BigT9293

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:14 PM

Thanks i'll try it. it was happenen in winter 2 so i think it was just the fouling. thanks again.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:13 AM

Wow Big T you are a front stuffer shooter too. You da man. I happen to have a knight rifle that is quite close to what you are shooting. Mine is the Knight Bighorn. I have a ritual when I am at the range shooting.
First I take an alcohol patch and swab the barrel to remove any oil before I shoot the first shot. As Cayugad said I then run a couple of dry patches down its throat to dry it out. I then proceed to load and shoot my first shot.

Immediately after the first shot it is back to to an alcohol patch and two dry ones. I then let the rifle sit and go look for my sabot and go check the target. I then come back and load the second shot and shoot it.

Again immediately after the shot I run an alcohol patch and two dry ones and clean around the nipple area and let it sit till I check the sabot and target.

I have found this ritual slows me down enough to keep the barrel cool and allows me time to think about that shot and determine whether it was a good one or not and if not, why not. Using this method helps me keep the barrel cool, and allows me time to think the shot out. I have on a really good day got minute of angle three shot groups at 100 yds.

I started out using 240 gr XTP bullets, I had trouble getting them one day and tried a 260 gr bullet and got better results and then as Cayugad suggested, I tried the 300 gr Hornady XTPs and got eye opening results. Man those bullets are accurate. I even shot a doe last fall with one and it mushroomed near perfect from 45 cal to about 64 caliber. My pet load in My Bighorn is 80 grains of FFg Goex black powder a 300 gr XTP in a 50 cal Harvester crush rib sabot ignited by a musket cap.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:31 AM

I too have a Knight MK-85. Mine is a .54 cal. I shoot the MMP Sabot with a 310 grain Nossler copper jacketed flat lead nosed bullet, and 100 grains of FF Pioneer Powder. This has proved to be deadly acurate in mine and I don't intend to change a thing. I can get two accurate shots in the field without swabbing the barrel, and possibly more, but why chance it when it's easy to do, takes seconds, and gives me peace of mind knowing when I fire again it will be dead on target. Never thought I'd say this about an in-line but I love my MK-85. :D

#9 BigT9293

BigT9293

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:26 AM

yes i shoot everything except high-powered rifles but i could get a 30.06 from my uncle or any other kind of gun, he has a lot og guns he collects them and he hunts with them for coyotes. i have deadly results with what i am shooting i taking 2 does with it 1 at 5 steps the other at about 25 yards, both holes looked like cannons and they only both combined ran 45 yards. i love my gun. i'll try swabbing after every second shot.Thanks everybody. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users