#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:50 PM

Do any of you have experience with ported shotgun barrels? I'm thinking about gettting either or maybe both my rifled slug barrel and bird barrel ported. Do you notice a difference in muzzle jump with porting? Do you happen to know if porting can be done with rifled slug barrels?

Thanks!
Eric
-Eric

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:42 PM

IMHO, This product works the best for controlling recoil and muzzle jump in shotguns. These things really work. Plus it will work with any barrel or choke on the gun.

Get the magazine tube and replace your plug with it ;)

Mercury Recoil Suppressors
Posted Image

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:24 PM

Thanks Leo. Does the suppresor actaully go on the muzzle of the gun? The magazine tube is pretty cool, I might need to look into that more. Thanks Leo
-Eric

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:48 AM

Eric porting a barrel sure does work. I have the same effect on my turkey gun by using a ported choke tube (comp-n-choke). The positive is less felt recoil and less barrel jump. The negative side is the gun is much louder to the shooter. When shooting it at the range, hearing supperssors are an absolute necessity as shooting a ported gun makes it much louder than an unported one. It should work with a slug gun too. You might want to look into a ported choke tube for your shotgun vs getting the barrel ported. It may be a cheaper way to get the same effect providing your gun barrel is threaded for the tubes.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:48 AM

my mossberg 500 12 gauge with a 28" barrel came ported and its a sweet shooter with little muzzle jump. I can outshoot my friend who has a 500 thats not ported. Im not sure if thats entirely due to the porting or skill. I'd deffinately invest in porting after shooting mine.

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:38 AM

Thanks everyone! I e-mailed our local gunsmith and he said that he can do both bird and slug barrel for $69 each. I think I might just get my bird barrel done because usually it seems like you have a little more time to get back on target with deer. He does a special kind of porting by doing it at an angle that is supposed to help reduce friction and fowling build-up. Thanks everyone!
-Eric

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:27 AM

Thanks Leo. Does the suppresor actaully go on the muzzle of the gun? The magazine tube is pretty cool, I might need to look into that more. Thanks Leo

The Magazine Tube is $65 and simply replaces the plug in your shotgun magazine. It's a major money saver when you realize it will work with every choke and barrel you already own. Plus if you want to use a ported choke the effect is improved that much more.

IMHO, if you want to reduce muzzle jump and improve your shooting the mercury tube is absolutely the route you should go first.

You may not want porting after you install the mercury tube ;)
Posted Image

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:17 AM

I'm like Paul, I use a ported choke and on a Mossberg 835 3 1/2" mag believe me you need something. :lol: Think I'll look into that magazine tube too Leo. My old shoulder could use a break other than the kind a hard kick delivers! ;) :lol:

#9 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:56 AM

I'm still not sure what I really want to do. Maybe I will try the reducer first and if I still think I need a little off I'll go with porting.
-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users