12 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:24 PM

In a recent trade, for my Knight MK 85, this powder measure was included in the deal. Haven't seen one quite like it before. There are no manufacturer's mark on it that I can find so don't know how old it is nor who made it. What I find odd is, if you look closely at the slide, there is a hole in the side near it's base. Just below the 20 grain marking. It is the opening to a compartment that runs the length of the slide. The slide is basically hollow. You access it by twisting the knob at the bottom of the slide wich opens and closes the hole. Now my question, what is this compartment for? I've never seen a measure like it before. My son probably has the right idea. He came up with the idea that it might be a measure for flintlocks and the bottom compartment is to carry tripple f for the primer pan. Sounds logical to me. If so, anyone need a powder measure for their flinter? I'd trade it for a short ball starter.

Posted Image

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:04 PM

I have never seen one like that with that small hole in the bottom. I have a measure like that but not with the bottom section..
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:37 PM

Like I said, I haven't eighther. Also like I said, the entire length of the slide is hollow and when you turn the knarled bottom it closes and seals the compartment. The theory it's for carrying priming powder for flintlock pans is the only thing I could think it's made for. Would be kinda handy for that purpose anyways and a pretty good idea. Guess you could also store caps in it but a simple capper is better for that other than the tube would be weather proof. I may just hang on to it in case I ever get another Flintlock and because it's so unusual. Wish it had a manufactuers mark on it someplace. Also I forgot to mention. The measuring slide is not just hollow but has a sleeve in it. Pull down on the bottom and the sleeve slides out. It's open at the top end as if for filling with powder. By turning the bottom your spinning the sleeve which closes the exsposed opening. Ya never know, it could be as new as yesterday or as old as the hills. Will make a good comnversation piece anyways. Heck if it's old it could be worth as much as the rifle it came with. Ya just never know. ;) Gee bro, if you haven't ever seen one like it it must be rare. :lol: Does yours have a makers mark on it anywhere?

Edited by Spirithawk, 12 April 2006 - 04:52 PM.

#4 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:00 PM

Spirthawk

I have seen one before, My Brother bought a cap & Ball pistol with a kit along time ago, and in the kit was a powder measure/cap holder that looked real close to the one you got, He could store up to 12 #11 caps in it at one time, Measure out the powder, seat your ball and add a primer, so my guess this is what you got,

But its just a guess, I will have to do some more reserch on it

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:38 PM

A correction to make. The sleeve only is just long enough to go past the small opening. The compartment is large enough to hold a whole can of #11 caps and maybe a few more. The more I look at it the more I'm convinced it's for primer powder, butttttt I've been known to be wrong before. :lol:

#6 Fred

Fred

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Trucks and driving goat trails, Hunting, Fishing. Prospecting/gold panning

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:05 AM

I have seen that design before and I should know who made it but, This danged short term memory of mine cause's me no end of time and trouble! :ermm: :( Fred
Quondo Omni Flunkus Moritati

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:12 PM

Don't fret Fred. It may come to you in time. I'm not the sharpest tack myself anymore. Hey we've both survived enough we deserve a few quirks. ;) :yes:

Edited by Spirithawk, 13 April 2006 - 03:13 PM.

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:58 PM

I have seen that design before and I should know who made it but, This danged short term memory of mine cause's me no end of time and trouble!? ? :ermm:? :(?? Fred

You have short term memory Fred? I find that... what were we talking about now? We call that CRS in old people around here. Can't Remember Squat... At least I think that's what we call it... I can't remember for sure anymore. :D

Edited by Larry $, 15 April 2006 - 04:15 PM.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:06 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: At Cayugad Now what are we laughing about :huh: :lol:
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:03 PM

:huh: Why did I come in here :huh:
Posted Image

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:31 AM

:( I hate when that happens... Is it time for my nap yet? -_-

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 02:48 PM

Dang guys, sounds like Old Timers's is spreading. ;) :lol: Just remember, better to be over the hill than under it. Yepers! :yes:

#13 Fred

Fred

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Trucks and driving goat trails, Hunting, Fishing. Prospecting/gold panning

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:01 AM

Climbing that hill wasn't too hard cause we were younger then. Hanging out on top of isn't too hard,it has a not bad view and is relatively comfortable walking around. Now downhill on the other side, That Is a Mother!!! :yes: Fred
Quondo Omni Flunkus Moritati

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users