5 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:12 PM

Posted Image

Today was a perfect day for shooting. Not hot and no wind. I wanted to try some different powder in the new Tradition's Woodsman Flintlock and see how it worked. I decided to try some Swiss 3f and use it as prime. I only loaded 70 grains of it, but the stuff worked great.

I set the target at 30 yards . While that is not a long distance, it is easier to tune a rifle at that range. Also this is an average shot in most places I hunt. My first shot hit an inch and a half high, but nothing I could not live with. I then shot ten more rounds, without swabbing the barrel. To say I was happy with the accuracy would be an easy guess.

I then swabbed the barrel and shot 370 grain Maxiball with the same 70 gr of Swiss 3f. I used my homemade lube for the conicals. I shot at that half of a old bulls eye that was showing, making the challenge to myself to not hit the black if at all possible. I shot five rounds of conical again at 30 yards. Recoil was a little stiff in the light rifle but accuracy was very good. Also with the curved butt of the stock and the brass base plate, there was a little "digging in" of the butt stock plate.

After all of this, I took and set up soda cans at 50 yards and pushed them around in the trap for a while. For a rifle with a 1:48 twist this is a good roundball and conical shooter.

Also I am very impressed with the speed of the lock on this rifle. It never failed. I have been out three times with the same flint, although it is now about ready to change out.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:25 PM

Boy Cayugad you can shoot that rifle pretty good. That reminds me I have some shooting to do with my RMC soon. I've got the honey do list cut down to painting my computer room which hopefully will get done next week. I have two barrels for it, one a 1:48 twist and the other a 1:28 twist. I haven't played with the 1:48 twist much and that is what I need to do.

I can sympathize with you on those curved metal buttplates. I once sighted in a 54 cal with conicals and 120 gr of ffg BP for my bro-in-law. He said it didn"t kick but it jumped to which I replied yea it jumps alright right into my shoulder.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 08:25 PM

Well the thing with the Maxiball and that light rifle, I had to hunker down low to get behind it at the bench, so the upper corner of the brass butt plate was right in the shoulder hollow. When I would shoot, it would drive that backward. Nothing I could not take, but after five shots with the maxi ball I decided shooting roundball was just as fun and a lot less painfull.

At 50 yards I shot at one soda can three times and would have swore I missed. It was hanging in the trap. When I went to finally check, the three holes could have been covered with a .50 cent piece. Needless to say I was kind of impressed.

The rifle shoots just a little to the right, so next time out I will tune that out of it. Also I bought this flintlock on an auction and they replaced the frizzen with some fancy high end model. This thing really sparks nice and has a fast ignition.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

I decided to make some noise today to celebrate the 4th of July. I got out a .50 caliber T/C Hawkins flintlock. I was shooting 90 grains of Graf's Black Powder 2f. Using pillow tick patches and my moose milk lube. I had a little orange dot on the center of that paper plate, but it disappeared during the shooting. The rifle shot excellent even though it was 90 degrees outside. Also the rifle lock was fast, and never had a misfire. Flintlocks are a lot of fun to shoot.

Posted Image

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:06 PM

Man that makes me want to get out with mine and send a few downrange. I got the room painted but tomorrow Eric is off and wants me to help with some landscaping and the carpet layers are coming first thing in the morning. So maybe Saturday.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:39 PM

Pop that doesn't mean we can't stop and have a little fun you know. :bigthumb: :ok:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users