4 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:58 PM

:lol: :lol:

I was out at my range shooting my Lyman .54 caliber Flintlock Rifle when the United States Postal Service mail carrier showed up at the house. He had a new rifle for me. It was of course my .54 caliber Thompson Center New Englander. How the seller got the USPS to ship that rifle is still a mystery to me. I was told flat out by my local postmaster, they do not ship them. PERIOD!!

The rifle has a 26" barrel, ryanite black composite stock, some excellent sights on it, and looks like it had never been fired. I got out my Birchwood Casey #77 and ran a patch through the barrel. It came out covered in filthy looking black/brown substance. I ran three more patches and finally the rifle came out clean. So I dropped a bore light down the barrel and it looked real good. Since I had .54 caliber rods, starters, projectiles, etc out on the shooting bench, I broke out a new target and got ready to try out the new rifle.

I decided to start with Pyrodex RS. I set the powder measure at 75 grains and loaded a Speer roundball. I fired five shots to see where it was hitting. It appeared the rifle was shooting about three inches high or more. So I made an adjustment to the sights. I then fired five more shots with the adjusted sights, and ran out of roundball in that box. I decided to call it a day and clean the rifle.

The rifle is well balanced, an excellent single stage trigger, nice sights, and seems to have some potential. I will be shooting this a lot more in the near future.

The Lyman Trade Rifle flintlock shot perfect as usual. It still liked 90 grains of 2f black powder and a patched roundball. I was finally forced to change out the flint on that rifle. It was the flint I put in during last years deer season, and have since then shot the rifle numerous times. It really was a good flint...

Posted Image
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

Looking good and shooting just as well. What rate of twist does the New Englander have?
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:53 PM

1:48 twist with a 26" barrel. The rifle is well balanced. And it has one of the best triggers I have came across yet, on a Thompson Center rifle.

I have a real love of Thompson Center Rifles. I have yet to get a bad shooter from them. There was some packing grease in it that was terrible. I think this thing might have sat on a "For Sale" shelf for some time. It might have accumulated some dust in the packing grease. But Birchwood Casey #77 took it right out. I shot all ten shots without swabbing the barrel. Next time out, I am going to see what happens when I swab between shots.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

Oh yea so much to test so little time. I really enjoy seeing what a certain rifle will do/don't do.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:29 AM

the United States Postal Service mail carrier showed up at the house. He had a new rifle for me. It was of course my .54 caliber Thompson Center New Englander. How the seller got the USPS to ship that rifle is still a mystery to me. I was told flat out by my local postmaster, they do not ship them. PERIOD!!

I dont know if this is it or not but from my experiences not only with the post office but at stores as well one store you go into it and they run a background to purchase a BP rifle saying its still a gun other stores you walk in pay for it and walk out and say that its a Muzzle loader and only have to do the check on other guns but not BP because of the load time and shot capacity etc... the post office may be on the same lines of saying a gun and they say NO without hearing that its a muzzle loader because they fall under different guidelines for the ffl just my thoughts of how one person/store perceives it vs another

Edited by irinman2424, 07 July 2007 - 08:31 AM.

I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users