• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:48 PM

I watched Turkey Call today. This was a rarity since I watch little TV nowadays.

Rob Keck (CEO of the NWTF) was hunting with his daughter Heather. Heather was trying to complete a grand slam on gobblers by harvesting an Osceola in Florida.

First off, let me warn the rest of the guys on this forum ahead of time. Heather is one of those engaging beauties that will prevent you from hearing anything her father says. I'm telling ya, she's so cute it's criminal.

So being forewarned, pay particular attention to what Mr. Keck says about the Osceola turkey.

He says, "these are a lot like the turkeys of Coastal South Carolina."

This is where I hunt turkeys. And is EXACTLY what I've been saying for years!!! So apparently, the CEO of NWTF does indeed know the same thing I do. The turkeys here definitely exhibit some Osceola traits! I'm not the only one who has noticed.

So to the doubters who didn't believe me :nahnah:
Posted Image

#2 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:56 PM

You're the MAN , Leo!!
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:58 PM

Oh yeah Leo!
-Eric

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:02 PM

I for one believed you all along. Especially with the pics showing the color difference. They most likely have some osceola strain in them. Now for a question. Since S Carolina is separated from Florida by Georgia does Georgia have any of the strain you have or does Georgia have a population of Osceolas.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:45 PM

when turkeys were being restocked across the country to repopulate what the market hunters almost eliminated, could your area have gotten a few from florida?

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:56 AM

when turkeys were being restocked across the country to repopulate what the market hunters almost eliminated, could your area have gotten a few from florida?

That's highly unlikely. As far as I know there were never any restockings in this area at all. Since the land I hunt has been in one families possession since before the civil war a very strong case can be made that these birds are truly indigenous to the area.

PA,

There may be similar populations of turkeys in coastal Georgia. I don't know. I do know that state had at one time almost eradicated it's entire indigenous turkey population. Georgia has seen very serious restockings of both turkeys and whitetails. The Georgian deer in particular have northern origins. Hence the larger size on average of their deer than many other southern states.
Posted Image

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:21 AM

Never doubted you a bit bud. :no:

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:30 AM

That's pretty cool. Obviously he's an unquestionable authority.

Leo I didn't doubt you just knew your area held some different and unique gene pools in other types of animals. And birds tend to adapt coloration and body size faster compared to other animals.

Leo have you tried emailing Mr. Keck to see what he knows about the two birds possible connections? He might have the ability or resources to have the bird's genetics looked into for a potential strain that got separated over the thousands of years they been around.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#9 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:06 AM

That's pretty cool. Obviously he's an unquestionable authority.

Leo I didn't doubt you just knew your area held some different and unique gene pools in other types of animals. And birds tend to adapt coloration and body size faster compared to other animals.

Leo have you tried emailing Mr. Keck to see what he knows about the two birds possible connections? He might have the ability or resources to have the bird's genetics looked into for a potential strain that got separated over the thousands of years they been around.

Since Keck is originally from South Carolina, I strongly suspect he has already done this. Taxonomy and new species identification is at the whim of biologists. It's simply not up to hunters.

Eventually some budding biologist will base a doctoral thesis on this "discovery". In reality that's what it will take to happen.
Posted Image

#10 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:48 PM

I watched Turkey Call today. This was a rarity since I watch little TV nowadays.

Rob Keck (CEO of the NWTF) was hunting with his daughter Heather. Heather was trying to complete a grand slam on gobblers by harvesting an Osceola in Florida.

First off, let me warn the rest of the guys on this forum ahead of time. Heather is one of those engaging beauties that will prevent you from hearing anything her father says. I'm telling ya, she's so cute it's criminal.

So being forewarned, pay particular attention to what Mr. Keck says about the Osceola turkey.

He says, "these are a lot like the turkeys of Coastal South Carolina."

This is where I hunt turkeys. And is EXACTLY what I've been saying for years!!! So apparently, the CEO of NWTF does indeed know the same thing I do. The turkeys here definitely exhibit some Osceola traits! I'm not the only one who has noticed.

So to the doubters who didn't believe me :nahnah:

Leo, many years ago, my Aunt ran an institution in Iowa for the mentally ill, and one day, there was a group of patients sitting on a bench, and one of them said "Gonna Rain" and then another and another. Pretty soon, all of em were saying "Gonna Rain!" I looked up at the sky and it was blue and not a cloud to be seen, so I said "I don't think its going to rain" but they kept saying " Gonna Rain" so I just walked away and figured they were all crazy anyways. :lol:

#11 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:57 PM

Leo, many years ago, my Aunt ran an institution in Iowa for the mentally ill, and one day, there was a group of patients sitting on a bench, and one of them said "Gonna Rain" and then another and another. Pretty soon, all of em were saying "Gonna Rain!" I looked up at the sky and it was blue and not a cloud to be seen, so I said "I don't think its going to rain" but they kept saying " Gonna Rain" so I just walked away and figured they were all crazy anyways. :lol:

Strangely, somehow I tend to believe they were all right... eventually ;)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users