I Know We're All Hunters But...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:24 AM

I can probably get 300+ problem is, it's never in a straight line LOL my best use for golf balls is as archery targets LOL them and pingpong balls work really well for fine tuning your shooting abilities. :D
Semper Fi

#17 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:22 PM

I'm with Red Green. Nothing like a bucket of balls, a bag of tee's and a brick of .22 shells for getting the eyes back in shape after a long winter and before elk season.

Edited by Larry $, 12 July 2007 - 05:23 PM.

Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#18 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:18 PM

This is just my .02 cents worth and not to offend anyone but i think Golf is for weanies ...

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#19 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:50 PM

I was too involved with Baseball thru college to play much but really got into it after that. I don't play as much as I'd like but I do like getting out there and tearing the cover off the ball!! Occasionally break into 70's but it's a game that needs alot of attention and I don't have the time nor money for it. Can't have it cuttin into the hunting funds... :)

#20 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:44 PM

Never saw the point. No real athleticism involved. Might be something just to do for fun, but I don't consider it a sport and never understood how in the world it gets television time.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#21 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:30 PM

Okay, here's why I asked. I LOVE GOLF! I'll just say that right out. It takes more to hit the Golf ball consistently on target with distance then any other sport (I'll give you free throws in BBall). We won't go into the numerous types of shots and the differing reasons for each. Forget about the rules or putting for goodness sakes. For you that can hit it 300 and not control it you know what I'm talking about. If you don't like something that's okay too. I can deal with that.

Now, here's why I play: I play with my Son. He's a natural. I love the time we have together. It's like the hunting thing but we get to do it more often. This past Saturday I was out with him at our local links. He hit off the 3th tee and drove it 250 right down the middle (he's 13). I stepped up and drilled my 310 down the middle. He returned to smashed a 3/4 hybread fairway wood and left it 15 yards off the green on the second shot on the longest Par 5 on the course. I stepped up and dropped it on the green from 225 with my trusty 3 iron just 3 feet from the hole. Nate addresses his ball and chips to within 10 feet of the hole. I watch as he putt thinking I wish my Dad took this time with me when he totally drained it. Folks that's an honest Birdie for the boy (not his first either). Okay, so I rolled in for the Eagle and we walk off the green a mile high just high fiving and carrying on; we were excited TOGETHER. It was awesome.

I know there are a ton of ways this type of experience can happen for a father and son. Golf is doing it for us so I'm glad to be able to use it. I think it comes down to just flat being there. Whatever you find to spend time with your kids do it, and often. They grow up way too fast. My daughter is starting college this fall (and it's even a year late cause she took a year off to "find herself") and just yesterday I was helping her learn to ride a bike.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#22 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:59 PM

Charles you are certainly right. If your child likes to play golf then by all means play golf. If they play something else then play something else. You are so right about just yesterday teaching a child something and the next day they are grown. I too think Nate is a special young man but he is growing up quick so enjoy.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#23 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:45 PM

Well Paul, soon all I'll have is my wife, our memories and Grandchildren. Not rushing but the way I feel after paying for some of Megan's college stuff it won't be long.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#24 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

Yep been there and done that too. Of course I would never tell them but I am proud of my three kids and the way they and things have turned out.

One of the hardest things I ever did was to let go when it was time.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#25 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:57 PM

I know there are a ton of ways this type of experience can happen for a father and son. Golf is doing it for us so I'm glad to be able to use it. I think it comes down to just flat being there. Whatever you find to spend time with your kids do it, and often. They grow up way too fast. My daughter is starting college this fall (and it's even a year late cause she took a year off to "find herself") and just yesterday I was helping her learn to ride a bike.

Charles you're 100% on the money here and your time with your kids when they are kids goes so fast. Heck they will always be your children no matter what right. You two are very fortunate to have found this commonality to enjoy, that's special. :clap: :bigthumb: :ok:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#26 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:37 PM

Thanks Rowdy.

Paul, I still go into Megan's room and just look around. It's our home office now but I still think of it as her bedroom. I've had to let go a little to fast for my likings but its part of life.

I'm gonna hold on to Nate for a while though, lol. At least untill he is ready to strike out and then I'll still be there to catch him on the firsst bounce if you know what I mean.

#27 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:34 PM

I enjoy playing golf. Am I good at it? No. Do I care how good I am? Not really. I play golf for the fun, not the score.

Just last weekend we went golfing for a buddy's bachelor party. So we all rented carts and had a great time. Throw in some driving range time, a good lunch, a few beers and some golf cart "course rage" and it's a great time. :lol: ;)

#28 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:54 PM

The windmill usually whacks my colored golf ball over the side railing.....let's not even mention the swinging clown (the aftermath darn near got me banned from the NJ Putt Par Circuit). But hey...I always seem to get a Hole-In-One on the 18th :yes: !
Wife & I are eloping to the beach next weekend so the Boardwalk Course better beware !...hmmm..wonder if the Turkenator plays? ;)
Posted Image

#29 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:38 PM

I happen to know the Turkenator is a VERY good PP-Golfer. Better keep your eyes peeled for him, Phil.

#30 young_hunter12

young_hunter12

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:15 PM

i just like the golf carts and seeing how far i can hit the ball at the driving range

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users