3 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:41 PM

OSHA Regulations... Shooters take notice

OSHA is presently attempting to pass regulations banning the shipping of powders, caps, primers, etc by companies such as UPS, Fed Ex, and others.

A VERY INTERESTING READ

I was concerned about this regulation and wrote my Senator Herb Kohl of Wisconsin. Senator Kohl was kind enough to answer. I will let you read his reply. It looks like a canned letter, but it was a responce.

I appreciate your comments regarding comprehensive Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) reform. As a businessman, I certainly sympathize with your frustration with overregulation. The web of regulations governing businesses is confusing and often counterproductive. For this reason I support efforts to streamline our current regulatory structure.

Having said that, I will not support efforts to gut OSHA and severely restrict its enforcement capabilities. I firmly believe that most employers are committed to maintaining a safe workplace. However, too many Americans continue to die and suffer serious injuries and illnesses due to hazards in the workplace. I recognize that OSHA has been in place for over 20 years now and has not been reformed since its enactment. The work environment has changed greatly during this period, and technology has improved, and I agree that OSHA could be reformed to make it more effective.

I also believe that we need to encourage labor-management cooperation; it is the cornerstone of workplace safety. We must work to ensure that safety and health training programs are available on the job site. However, in accomplishing these goals, we must be careful not to place undue burdens on the business community. Most importantly, we must provide the Occupational Safety and Health Administration with the resources--both financial and personnel--necessary to promote workplace safety effectively.

As I mentioned, I share your concern about overregulation, but I will not support an OSHA reform bill that compromises efforts to save lives, prevent serious injury and illness, and preserve the overall safety and health of our workforce. Also you can be certain that I will keep your thoughts in mind as the Senate debates this issue.

Sincerely,

Herb Kohl U.S. Senator

Being a black powder shooter, this would be the end of me. If I were not able to get black powder my traditional rifles would be nothing more then wall hangers. Kind of hard to shoot a flintlock without black powder. So I have written my Senators, Congressman, and OSHA to voice my opinion.

This might be something you want to look at and form your own conclusions.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:14 AM

Something I read that may or may not have impact is Hillary Clinton, Ted Kennedy, and I believe John Kerry are all on the OSHA senate committee. Hmmmm.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:45 AM

Something I read that may or may not have impact is Hillary Clinton, Ted Kennedy, and I believe John Kerry are all on the OSHA senate committee. Hmmmm.

Sounds like a stacked deck of jokers to me - dealt a bad hand with this bunch on the committee. :(
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:03 PM

NWTF.ORG Newsletter

Proposed OSHA Rule Would Hurt Hunters and Shooters

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has proposed new rules that would classify ammunition, powder and primers as explosives, effectively changing how ammunition and handloading components can be stored, sold and transported.

This proposed rule change would make it illegal for sporting good stores to sell firearms and ammunition in the same building, require evacuation of all facilities, including sporting good stores, containing ammunition in the event of a lightning storm and prohibit delivery drivers from leaving ammunition unattended, virtually eliminating mail-order ammunition sales from companies such as Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's.

OSHA's rule change will affect hunters and shooters ability to purchase ammunition, and critically hurt ammunition manufacturers by implementing unneeded regulations, which could limit ammunition production and raise prices.

Public comment on OSHA Docket Number OSHA-2007-0032 was recently expanded through September 10, 2007. Let OSHA know how this rule change is unnecessary and would affect law-abiding and responsible hunter's and shooter's accessibility to ammunition by going to http://www.regulations.gov and posting a comment against this unwarranted attack on hunting and shooting.

Regulations.gov is a way for the general public to give opinions about federal regulatory actions. To comment on the rule on ammunition and explosives, search Occupational Safety and Health Administration proposed rules and click on comments.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users