#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:03 PM

I just got my cabela's archery catalog and in the rest section there is a new product called the Air Rest. The arrow floats in the middle of the rest because of magnets so the arrow doesn't encounter any friction on release. Has anybody tried one? They are kind of expensive but sure look like a cool product.

Air-Rest
-Eric

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

I've held off on replying to this because I was hoping someone who had actually used one would chime in. But, no such luck. So, here goes...

I haven't used or even set one up for a customer. But, everything I've heard about them leads me to be weary of them. For starters, arrow length is critical. The special magnetic inserts need to be just right inside the rest for it to work properly. I've also heard that while the magnets used are very strong and "snap" the arrow into place within the rest that there is still a slight hesitation before the arrow movement stops.

The first time I actually saw this rest being talked about was well over a year ago now. All said, I'm not sure that it has any real advantage over a typical fall away rest, for example, that make it worth trying for most people. (Especially with the price taken into consideration which is not likely to drop much due to the cost of such magnets.) So, it would not surprise me to see it remain a rather unknown/unused rest. Still kinda neat though...

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:37 PM

Thanks for the reply Jer! It sure is an interesting design that I think would be fun to try sometime on a bow, just to test.

Thanks
-Eric

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:30 AM

I wonder if that rest controls the arrow position long enough in it's power stroke?

IMO, an arrow rest that drops out of the way almost instantly IS NOT what you want for consistency. The arrow simply must be moving at a certain velocity for the guiding effect of a rest not to be needed. If the arrow never gets a chance to go that fast it will simply nose dive.

Ideally, I believe the arrow should be guided for the first 1/3 of it's powerstroke when leaving the bow.

Edited by Leo, 18 July 2007 - 08:30 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users