Bears In The Front Yard

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:31 PM

UPDATE:
story on the news last night, stated that due to unussaly warm temps early ( I seem to recall we had snow forever this spring ) the berry crop in the high country and back country is almost non existent.
Division of Wildlife is stating that bear encounters are on an all time high as bears are moving down to lower elevations and into subdivisions foriging for food.

on that note this morning around 6 am. Randy took Dakota out ( who as soon as he got outside was acting odd ) and she hears a voice from the Tree's back behind the house. Its our neighbor Craig from next door, who says that he just chased a bear away from his house and it went up past ours and she should probably take Dakota inside.

I walked the outside of the house and property, no bear, everything seemed ok. Around 8 am I hear a thud outfront on the deck, go out and see the back end of mr bear heading for the tree's. he was back and snooping around our house again. We had emptied the bird feeders but had not taken them down ( dumb move on my part ) he ripped 2 out of the tree even thow they were empty.

so now all birdfeeders are down and in, bbq grill has been cooked off and cleaned. and a camera is being kept close by.

I'm actually more worried about my 2 neighbors who both have kids 7 yrs old and under. who play outside quite a bit. they build forts out in the trees and such...hope they dont have stuff that would draw this bad boy in.
as Leo said, he's loosing his fear of humans ( or more likely his need for food is stronger then his fear of humans. )

Our HOA pres has put in a number of calls to the local DOW officer. as of yet we havent heard back directly. They have come out and posted signage in our subdivision warning of the bear sightings.

We know we have no less then 3 diffrent bears hitting houses in the neighborhood.
could be a long summer
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#17 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:13 PM

Bruce,

That is not a good situation! Hope these visitors decide to move on soon!
Posted Image

#18 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:11 AM

Bruce,

That is not a good situation! Hope these visitors decide to move on soon!

Wow, now that's getting pretty frequent. Leo is right and your worries about the neighbors is well founded. The next thing the bears will be pushing a window in and raiding the kitchen cause the bird foods is removed.

Any ideas on how to make them move on :huh:

Paintball hitting rapid fire might not hurt them but stunn them a bit. It might give them some respect and start hanging out somewhere else. Or shot guns fired off toward their direction but not to kill but for the effect to get the noise and smell to move on.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#19 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:52 PM

well I've now sent photos of the bear along with a request for ways we can deture him, legaly. hopefully I'll hear back soon, not sure what they will say.

years ago ( so I've been told ) DOW gave out shotgun bean bag shot and would allow certain people to use it to deture an animal from coming back. However that isn't being done now. don't want people doing things to harrasse the wild life.

So we'll see what happens. till then making sure areas are cleaned up and nothing along the line of trash or birdfeeders are being left out. Even talking to neighbors making sure their BBQ Grills are completely burned off and clean.
hopefully lack of food will be the trick......but at this point. I'm not 100% sure. He's been around to many times with little to no luck with food. yet still is coming back.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#20 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:26 AM

This is sounding worse and worse. I'm worried for you Bruce.

Where is Ralphie with his Red Ryder BB-Gun when you need him?
Posted Image

#21 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:29 AM

Yeah Bruce, the DOW gave us a handfull of 12 gauge shells with rubber buckshot a few years ago when we were having problems with a sow breaking into the dining hall and camp store during the drought years. I am here to testify that all rubber buckshot does is make a bear mad and make you mess your shorts while running for your life. It does not deter them. I can't believe your neighbor was outside, by herself, "...chasing off the bear." That's a good way to end up on the menu. Even if you ARE armed with rubber buckshot. :huh:

I don't know about you, but with all the rain last year, all the snow this winter, and all the rain so far this year, our forest is greener then I've ever seen it. There are berries and everything else growing like crazy around here. What gives with Park county?
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#22 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:34 PM

its been 10 years since ( that long time res recall ) having this type of issues with bears. Last fall we had one that wandered through a couple of times, This year there are at least 3 if not 4 that we know. We have photos of 3 diffrent bears todate.

DOW sent me an email after I provided photos. Its been refered to a local office and they gave me a phone number to call if the bear comes back again. An officer is suppose to be contacting me directly ( per the email ) that was a couple of days ago and I still haven't heard from them.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully I hear from them soon.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users