#1 Kurt

Kurt

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 01:13 PM

Hey Everyone,

Well as many of you know I am swamped with a full time job, new business on the side, not to mention a terrific wife, a 3year old son and 1yr. old daughter. Well enough about me.

I want to go turkey hunting. I have gone several times in the past but sadly admit I have never taken one or even shot at one for that matter.

I think I am going to try and squeeze a couple days in toward the end of the month. I recently met someone from Missouri that is going to do some work with our company and maybe start doing some hunting videos of his own so I think he is going to fly out and go hunting with me to show me the ropes.

I can't wait.

Any advice???

Kurt

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 01:27 PM

Kurt I am no expert turkey hunter but have managed to kill a few. To me the ideal set up for a spring gobbler hunt is to find one on the roost. Sneak in to about 80 to 125 yds put out several decoys and get settled in real comfortable against a tree wider than your shoulders if possible. When it starts to get light call softly several times. If he answers call softly again. If he answers shut up for a while and only answer once in a while or that old boy may just sit there and gobble. If he appears to be doing this make a sound by slapping your hat on your leg slowly build it and then slow down. This imitates a bird flying down. Give a louder call and get ready. If he is going to come it will be very soon.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Kurt

Kurt

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for the info. I will need all of the help I can get.

Kurt

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:00 AM

The most common Rookie turkey hunter mistake besides overcalling is incomplete scouting.

Identifying the Roost site only tells you where the birds will be the first 30mins of the day and the last 30mins. There's alot of daylight in between you could be hunting effectively. Figure out where the birds want to go after they fly down and that will help you immensely ;)

Major turkey daytime activity hubs are worthy of a 4 to 6hr sit. You will learn a lot if you stay put and keep your mouth shut. I guarantee it.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users