• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:15 PM

This is the most amazing accomplishment I have ever seen or read:

http://www.rangehunting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14561

Below the fotos is a long ethical tirade that I care nothing about. Nor would I want to indulge in same here. I just thot you fellas otto see this.

The shot is about skill, plain and simple. And having a good 'spotter'. I have a spotter and can only hope he and I get the chance to do the same some year.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:10 PM

:o :o Now THAT is some shooting!!
-Eric

#3 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:35 AM

"CLint took his time and fired. I watched the bullet's vapor trail go about 5 inches over the chosen cow's back. I told Clint to bring 'er down 1 minute and go 2 clicks left. Boom again. I watched the bullet fly right into her hip bone. SHe stood up and the rest of the herd was still bedded down wondering what that funny noise was. I told CLint to hold about 10 inches further left and fire. Boom! I watched the bullet fly right into the same spot almost. It was about 1 inch away from the last shot!

NOw the whole herd was up and wondering what was going on. Our cow was visibly wobbly and walked from the right side of the herd to the left side and stood there giving Clint a perfect broadside shot. I told CLint to hold about 6 inches in front of her chest and squeeze gently. BOOM! I watched the third bullet fly right into the front shoulder about 1/2 way up! PERFECT! She immediately crumpled her leg up and began stumbling down hill. SHe made it about 15 yards on three legs before she rolled over and slid down the hill a ways!"

he shot her 2 times in the hip before finally hitting a vital. that was not good shooting. throw enough lead at something and your bound to hit it. Pathetic is what I call it. One shot one kill or you shouldnt have squeezed the trigger.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:03 AM

What an amazing accomplishment. I am also intrigued with what skilled shooters can do at those extremely long yardages. Obviously these shooters are not just banging away and hoping for a hit.

I know that most of us are not capable of such long range shooting and may consider such efforts as unethical, but there are folks that are skilled at it and my hat is off to them. This does not mean I am going to run out and try it but shows that I recognize there are those who have the necessary skills and equipment to do it.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:08 PM

Let us see the sissy bowhunters pull that one off :peace:

fatty o:)

Edited by bonecollector34, 18 July 2007 - 07:09 PM.

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#6 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

Seems the whole herd was bedded down and not going anywhere. With all that broken ground, I would think they could have gotten closer. I understand the need to be proficient with one's weapon and that sometimes shots of this nature can become a necessity (eg. trying to knock down a wounded animal) But...let's get real. Was it worth wounding and thus, wasting an incrediable creature. For goodness sake, it took them three hours to get over to the downed elk. What would have happened if they did wound the animal with the first two misses? Sorry, that's not hunting to me...it's reckless. I'm happy it turned out for the good in the end, but I think these two could have done more to assure the perfect kill ("one shot"...as Whitetiger aludes to)! We all owe that to the animals we hunt.

Personally, I have no desire to take a shot of this nature. I guess that's why I picked up a bow.
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#7 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:48 PM

I like how he made adjustments like that in a hurry to take the animal out. Reminds me a lot of snipers. I agree with you Huck that they probably didn't NEED to shoot that far. If it did take them 3 hours to get to the animal and since they were bedded down they probably could have closed the distance to probably less than 300 yards. But everyone has to admit that that was an awesome shot even if it did take him 3 shots to take the cow out.
-Eric

#8 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:50 PM

I hear you Run...They call that "walking em in"...so easy a caveman can do it!
Posted Image

#9 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:05 AM

the knowelge and ability to put a bullet from a stock 300 win mag inside of a 4ft x 8 ft rectangle at just shy of 1000 yards is impressive.

I personaly don't feel that its ethical. but there are also people that say a 70 yard shot with a bow isn't ethical and I know I can put it in the kill zone as well as many others. And our bows have the ability to do it.

perosnaly its not my cup of tea and I agree with Huck. out of respect for the animal if you can close the distance, do so.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#10 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

946 or 1000 yards shot yeah we do it all the time in Ohio - SURE WE DO :lol:
- HECK we don't have much more than 100 yard shots around here without hitting something other than the intend target. It would be hard to find a place in Ohio with that kind of shooting room and be safe. I'd be worried of hitting someone in Indiana or Kentucky. :( Maybe Pennsylvania! ^_^

Military style snippers may need to be able to their deadly deed from that distance but big game hunting in my humble opinion is more than long distance shots, close the distance and make a real hunt out of it.

It wasn't that long ago were a video showed a bowhunter ( Mr. PSE) shooting his PSE X-force bow 100 yards and taking a deer. I feel mixed on that one too but again in Ohio we just don't practice that distance hardly ever. So who am I to judge if I haven't tried it.

It takes skill and dedication to shoot like that (rifle or a bow) and I think it's pretty darn amazing.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 20 July 2007 - 12:01 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#11 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:04 AM

He's merely using his best skills to get the job done. He should be allowed to do so.

Judging it based on my own abilities isn't fair.

Some criticize his first shot at being bad. That's true, and this is frankly admitted in the recount. But he did persist and get it right in the end. Such things can happen at any distance, so IMO his persistence to finish what he started counts for something.
Posted Image

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

Leo your point is well taken. We all tend to look at something like this based on our skills and abilities. I have been to a 1000 yard competition and was truly amazed at the abilities of those shooters. Believe it or not there were guys and gals there that were shooting less than minute of angle at that distance. At 100 yards MOA is just over 1 inch and at 1000 yds it would be around 11 inches. The overall winner that day shot a group that was less than 1/2 minute of angle at just over 5 inches. I happen to know some people that are satisfied at a 5 inch group at 100 yards.

Since many of us are archers we tend to look from that perspective. Looking at a 1000 yd shot to an archer means shooting and picking up the arrow and shooting several more times just to get within striking distance.

IMHO ethics are to each a personal choice.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#13 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:15 PM

I completely disagree Leo and I do not want to make a mountain from a mole hill...I understand that we hunters need to stick together.

Had he used his best skills, He would have recognized the fact that these elk were bedded and not in any big hurry to go anywhere. In such a state, He could have moved to a more realistic shooting postion for a humane kill (one where the risk of wounding this animal could have been greatly dimenished). He choose not to! He walked in three shots. As a skilled shooter, he could have finished the job with one! Again, he choose not to! You have to admit this thing could have truly gone bad in a hurry-luckily it did not. Why take such chances when they're not necessary? If this guy was trying to prove he could shoot that distance, then he should have gone to a range. IMO, you cannot compare this act to shooting targets ( inanimate objects) or sniping emeny soldiers (capable of shooting back). To me, that's not fair! If he wanted to be persistant, the range is the perfect place for it! Sorry, I just have too much respect for wildlife...skilled or unskilled.

Edited by iamyourhuckleberry, 20 July 2007 - 09:17 PM.

Posted Image

#14 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:15 AM

Oh you darn kids, I go to the store to pick up some fatty ice cream for Run and gun and I and the whole place is throwing pillows!

Okay, I like to constructively disagree as well.

Training is cool, I have 2 friends that were active military snipers I was on a SWAT team with both. Great shots--on paper. I saw one *** shoot a deer at 100 yards and another knock 2 bulls down with one shot, first one thru the neck and second thru the guts. So, training is wonderfull to read on paper, but not oworth smack in the field, unless you can correctly apply it.

But, debate this, 2 misses from this distance could have been very easily 2 wounded elk, If he would have fired one shot and dropped an elk, I would have fallen to the ground and said "you are a king"! Walking a bullet in on an elk? I wouldn't like to see this in person, and if I was with him and he was running his mouth on what a shot he made. I would , without any doubt, call him a dips**t to his face. I wouldn't ever disrespect the animal. But this is a borderline unethical kill.

Understanding that in alot of states this would not be very possible, but in the western states like MT, WY and CO this is very possible to see literally as far as your binos will look.

He'd be looking for another camp buddy for next years hunt.

Will, I love to argue with you, but I have to agree on all counts excpet bowhunting 'cause i don't do that anymore. Hey is it time for Florida yet?

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#15 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:07 AM

This discussion brings to mind another discussion that is very old indeed. When Native Americans first came into possesion of firearms many refused to use them and looked at them with contempt. Why???? Simply because in all Native American cultures the belief was held, by most, that anyone can kill at a great distance with a gun. No courage was involved and no great skill was needed as compared to the skill of being able to get up close and personal, which any warrior or hunter worth his keep, took a great deal of pride in. The whole point being the question of who is the greater warrior or hunter? The man who kills from so far away that his enemy or game may not even be able to see him and thus not have a chance to be able to fight back or escape, or the man who is skilled enough with stealth and patience, and the ability to meet his quarry on equal ground, and still walk away the victor. The gun was only finally accepted by the necesity of being able to fight back at those who used guns against them and killed from beyond bow range but there was no honor in it. To me the art of stealth and patience, and being able to out witt your quarry, is still a greater virtue than that of just being a good shot.

Edited by Spirithawk, 21 July 2007 - 10:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users