• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:27 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image

This is what the new Ultra Mag looks like with a Millet Buck Silver mounted on Weaver bases with Warne Quick Release rings. I've been so busy this week I dropped the rifle off at a gun smith and told him to mount it. I told him not to remove the rear sight. As I see it, there is no reason to have quick release rings when you have no sights in the rifle.

Well I picked it up today and was a little concerned about how far the rifle sat back on the rifle. Even the gunsmith told me he could not get it any further forward and suggested if it does not work out, I might want to change scopes..

So I took the rifle home. Of course the weather was raining, but that never stopped me. I set the target out at 50 yards and was using Kleenbore 209 Primers as the ignition system. The load was 90 grains of Goex 3f (I figured if I was going to take a shot between the eyes might as well make it good) a 1/16th wad and the 460 grain No Excuses.

Posted Image

I got smacked a couple times when I was not paying attention.. but if you hold on to it, all it does is knock your hat around. I was pleased with the accuracy.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:25 PM

That is way cool, cayugad. They have a way of getting your attention if you aren't paying attention. I've knocked my glasses off a few times and have a few scars on my beak and eyebrows too! :rofl:

#3 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:33 PM

:wacko: I can also remember a few times when I've knocked my hat and
smacked my glasses when holding lightly on diff guns. :doh: :doh:

Looks like that smoker also has the potential. B) B)
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:55 PM

Something about throwing that large chunk of lead down range is so great.. 90 grains of Goex 3f produces a pretty good thump down range. I checked some trees the other day in the woods where I am cutting my new shooting range, and there are 8" trees blown clear through by those conicals. I can not see how you would not get complete penetration on a critter with that rifle.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:29 PM

Pretty nice bro. :yes:

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:46 PM

That rifle is a keeper for sure. I have yet to try those no excuse conicals. Have you ever shot those 460 gr .501 rf's that Bill casts?

Something I did notice was the heavier the sabotted bullet I shoot out of my Knight the better it likes them.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:02 PM

Great looking accuracy. Definitely a keeper. Beautiful set-up to boot.
Posted Image

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:07 PM

That rifle is a keeper for sure.  I have yet to try those no excuse conicals.  Have you ever shot those 460 gr .501 rf's that Bill casts?

Something I did notice was the heavier the sabotted bullet I shoot out of my  Knight the better it likes them.

I shot some .503 conicals that Bill makes. They were 440 grain I believe. I could not hit a bull in the you know what with them out of any rifle I tried. I did shoot some 533 grain conicals he sells that look like a REAL conical. Believe it or not, they shot real well. I was shooting them out of my Black Diamond XR one day and they really did well. I have to try them in the White as I still have some left.

I just ordered another three boxes of maxi ball from Bill. I guess he is way behind on his orders...

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:18 PM

I like his maxi's too guess I had better get some ordered too. I leave Monday for Kansas to wack some turkeys and see the grandkids. I won't be back till Early May so I had better git er done.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:29 AM

Good luck blasting a turkey...

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:05 PM

I got up early and wanted to shoot the White Ultra Mag to make up my mind about whether or not the Millet Buck was staying on the rifle. After a couple knocks on the eye brow I knew it had to be moved forward which meant removing the rear sight.

Instead I took the rifle to the big city and purchased a Nikon 2-7x32 Pro Staff and had that mounted instead. As you can see I have the rear sights still in place, the Warne QD rings still, and plenty of eye relief. Almost 4" I believe it is. The fellow at the gun shop even offered me the use of the range. I told him had I known that, I'd of come loaded for bare.

I think this Nikon will work out fine.

Triple Se7en who has never steered me wrong yet, made up my mind actually...

The Pro-staff would be a better choice for that rifle. Besides giving you more forward room for sliding,  it has slightly more eye relief than the Millet also.

I can't get over how clear the glass is on my Pro-staff. I'm not sure there is a clearer view scope in the $120 range. Although my Sightron SI has more "toys/options" in the same price range, the Pro-staff is slightly clearer to look out.

It really does seem like the perfect scope for this rifle. I am more them pleased with the clarity. With a 75 yard parallax that should work just fine for the focus part.

As for the Millet.. well I guess I have to get another rifle to mount that on... just kidding.. I am thinking of throwing that Millet on my Knight Disc or my CVA Staghorn and then RED DOT the CVA Stalker...

Anyway, that's what the set up looks like now...

Posted Image

#12 MN BP HUNTER

MN BP HUNTER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:01 PM

cayugad do you have a hard time loading the primer with the scope in the way??
:)

#13 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:44 AM

Loading the #11 cap is simple with a Ted Cash straight line capper. When the rifle is fired, the cap is split open and easy to remove as well. When I have the 209 primer breech plug on, a simple T/C Dog Bone Capper is easy to put the primer in place, and a simple small tool removes the spent primer real easy...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users