35 replies to this topic

#16 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:24 AM

Ted Nugent is awesome! He is a great advocate of hunting and gun rights... :thumbsup: "High Fence Hunting" is right for him, personally not for me. :peace2:
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

#17 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:58 AM

Totally SPOT ON! :clap:
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#18 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:14 PM

I have followed Uncle Ted for a long time. Do I agree with everything he says? NO! Do I still support his agenda for gun ownership and hunting? YES. I doubt I would agree with anyone 100% of the time. I would probably never hunt in a high fence area but I have friends that own them. To each his own. If it is not causing problems let it alone.

#19 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:28 AM

I will agree that Ted is right 90% of the time but the other 10% is my opinion and everyone else's.
While I believe that supporting any and all types of legal and ethical hunting I don't support game farms or any enclosed hunting for a few reasons.
First off it's my own belief that we may have disease transferred from game farm animals and I don't like the commercialization of native game animals.
Commercialization of game will eventually kill the number of hunters therefore killing off the blue collar hunter who cannot afford fee hunting.
We are going through a [QOUOTE] land access commercialization of game in Montana right now and it's trying to spiral out of control and the sports men and woman of this state want it nipped in the bud now.
America is a place of freedoms and we all like access to our public lands and limited access to private land and the "public's" game animals that we support through our dollars.
If you have the money to hunt with an outfitter or private ranch I will back you because it's a type of hunting but it's not for me because this blue collar hunter cannot afford the fees.
Elkhunter has a very valid point and the rest of you sportsman had better take a serious look at what is happening with the wolves these western states never wanted.
From reading the history of why the wolves were exterminated I said it from the beginning when these predators were shoved down our throats.
This was my statement when the wolf was reintroduced, WHO WILL BE PUT ON THE ENDAGERED SPECIES LIST, "THE HUNTER". This is not a joke because the enviros had plan from the start and the hunter was included in the reintroduction equation.
There was a reason we voted against game farms in Montana we cherish our native game animals.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#20 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

I find it hard for me to disagree with the Tedster on any thing. He's a great American.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#21 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:30 PM

Most discussions on High Fence ranches I've been involved in eventually degrade into a "Fair Chase" definition pissing match. Record book viability comes up. People are accused of being "Fat, too rich and lazy." They didn't hunt that animal, they merely bought it. I've heard it all. I know where both sides are coming from. It becomes heated and folks take a stand on either side of the fence red faced and screaming. I hate it when that happens. Not because I want everyone to accept the interior of a high fenced ranch as "Fair Chase" But because I strongly believe that for the benefit of the animals on these ranches, and ensuring we have some for free range habitats, we need these places.

Fences keep stuff in. That's true. They also keep stuff out. Like the wolves Elkhunter mentioned. Also fences keep out sick animals and poachers(sick people).

If wolves get out of hand, where are we gonna get more deer and elk? Same thing with a disease like CWD running rampant.

Many of the animals on these places are not indigenous. Surplus blackbucks have been sent back to India(their country of origin) to boost their declining population. A zoo would never produce enough blackbucks to do this.

CITES controlled animals require a portion of the fees for hunting them goes back to the country of origin for this animals habitat.

Our License fees are supposed to go towards the habitat and environment. Does it all get used for that? Some of it does. High Fence ranch fees go towards growing another animal. All if it? No, but for sure a portion of it does. It has to or there is no business.

The High Fence places serve a legitimate conservation purpose by maintaining populations of animals that we can repopulate the wild with. These places may be our future. Without them we may have none.
Posted Image

#22 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:12 PM

I want to have Ted`s baby!! :o) only kidding!!!! man ted is a sportsman powerhouse!! thanks jeff, that was a good read and right own, people need to go to texas and try to stalk axis and blackbuck antelope or chase a boar across the ridges of tennessee and then tell me something about high fence hunting!!

Bill

Edited by 7pointbuck, 29 April 2008 - 05:13 PM.

"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#23 Hindsite

Hindsite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:40 AM

Hunt Preserves in Maine live on...........
The bill to kill our hunt preserve, L.D. 560 was killed in committee. A unanimous vote from the 13 member committee of "ought not to pass L.D. 560" rang out!......The bill to kill our hunt preserves was dead!

Game parks still open

BY SUSAN M. COVER
Staff Writer

03/26/2009

AUGUSTA -- The Legislature's Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry Committee voted 12-0 Wednesday against a bill that would have required large-game shooting areas to close within two years.

The bill, LD 560, is sponsored by Rep. Alan Casavant, D-Biddeford.

Committee member Rep. Benjamin Pratt, D-Eddington, was not present for the vote, but said afterward he was likely to vote with the rest of the committee to defeat the bill.

Earlier this month, shooting-area owners and animal-rights activists presented sharply divided views of what happens on these types of ranches.

Owners said they provide a safe hunting experience for people who want to hunt deer, bison and boar. Casavant described them as "barbaric and designed to satisfy the blood lust of a handful of out-of-staters."

In the end, committee members said the industry has a perception problem that should be addressed through an educational campaign.

"This issue has a lot to do with public perception," said Rep. Peter Kent, D-Woolwich. "They want to know what controls there are in place that make this hunting and not just sitting on a fence shooting cows."

In 2000, Maine passed a law to allow existing game preserves to continue to operate but that does not allow for new ones to open. www.hindsite-deer.com

House Chairwoman Rep. Wendy Pieh, D-Bremen, said she visited one of the parks and found it to be well run. She said whether it's fair-chase hunting or farming, or whether it offends the morals of some, is not for the Legislature to decide.

"I think those are issues the market can handle," she said, noting that many of these businesses have made major investments.

Maine has nine licensed facilities, two of which are inactive, according to the Department of Agriculture, which regulates the preserves.

Casavant said many of his constituents wanted the preserves to be closed, and the only calls he got in favor of them were from northern Maine or out of state.

"It triggered some debate, which was good," he said. "As long as it educated, that's the bottom line for a lot of bills."

Susan Cover --207- 620-7015

From the woods of Maine,
Mark Luce

#24 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:11 PM

Hunt Preserves in Maine live on...........
The bill to kill our hunt preserve, L.D. 560 was killed in committee. A unanimous vote from the 13 member committee of "ought not to pass L.D. 560" rang out!......The bill to kill our hunt preserves was dead!

Game parks still open

BY SUSAN M. COVER
Staff Writer

03/26/2009

AUGUSTA -- The Legislature's Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry Committee voted 12-0 Wednesday against a bill that would have required large-game shooting areas to close within two years.

The bill, LD 560, is sponsored by Rep. Alan Casavant, D-Biddeford.

Committee member Rep. Benjamin Pratt, D-Eddington, was not present for the vote, but said afterward he was likely to vote with the rest of the committee to defeat the bill.

Earlier this month, shooting-area owners and animal-rights activists presented sharply divided views of what happens on these types of ranches.

Owners said they provide a safe hunting experience for people who want to hunt deer, bison and boar. Casavant described them as "barbaric and designed to satisfy the blood lust of a handful of out-of-staters."

In the end, committee members said the industry has a perception problem that should be addressed through an educational campaign.

"This issue has a lot to do with public perception," said Rep. Peter Kent, D-Woolwich. "They want to know what controls there are in place that make this hunting and not just sitting on a fence shooting cows."

In 2000, Maine passed a law to allow existing game preserves to continue to operate but that does not allow for new ones to open. www.hindsite-deer.com

House Chairwoman Rep. Wendy Pieh, D-Bremen, said she visited one of the parks and found it to be well run. She said whether it's fair-chase hunting or farming, or whether it offends the morals of some, is not for the Legislature to decide.

"I think those are issues the market can handle," she said, noting that many of these businesses have made major investments.

Maine has nine licensed facilities, two of which are inactive, according to the Department of Agriculture, which regulates the preserves.

Casavant said many of his constituents wanted the preserves to be closed, and the only calls he got in favor of them were from northern Maine or out of state.

"It triggered some debate, which was good," he said. "As long as it educated, that's the bottom line for a lot of bills."

Susan Cover --207- 620-7015

From the woods of Maine,
Mark Luce

Glad they killed it before it grew!!!! Thanks for sharing it. Seems like they are always testing Maine out for stopping some sort of hunting, the last I read was on black bear hunting and got killed too.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#25 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:41 PM

Welcome Mark,

Looks like you got a good place there. Hope you stick around and share some recent success photos. I'm glad they killed the bill in Maine. It's looks like logic prevailed over perception. A rare thing in politics sad to say.

Does the ban on opening new parks prevent you from expanding? That's a shame if it does.
Posted Image

#26 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:03 PM

I think...

Ted Nugent is a smarter guy than I thought.

Ted Nugent is the smartest, most astute, well read and well spoken sportsman and constitutional scholar out there. In my book he otto be President on the U S of A next go round.

Oh yeah, he plays a mean geeeetar too...
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#27 Hindsite

Hindsite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

Welcome Mark,

Looks like you got a good place there. Hope you stick around and share some recent success photos. I'm glad they killed the bill in Maine. It's looks like logic prevailed over perception. A rare thing in politics sad to say.

Does the ban on opening new parks prevent you from expanding? That's a shame if it does.

Thanks Leo.....I've got a lot of great pics.Posted Image

We had great testimony from likes of The Sportsmans Alliance of Maine, The Department of Agriculture, The Farm Bureau, Maine Guides Association, The Maine Trappers Association and a slew of others. The Committee did the right thing and hopefully it becomes harder with every battle for them to shut us down.

If I could find a "backer"Posted Image I could expand to 400 acres.Posted ImagePosted Image

The land is available but the $$$$$ are not!Posted Image

#28 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

There's two things I always liked about Ted. 1) He's not afraid to speak his mind and 2) He usualy makes darn good sense when he does.

#29 Hindsite

Hindsite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:38 AM

Red Deer Roaring at Hindsite Preserve in Newport Maine...I sat in one of our two man camouflage tree stands during the rut in September and filmed this rut behavior. I apologize for the grainy film but the audio says a lot for the aggressive behavior. I will send a
DVD copy which is superior to this YouTube version to anyone who requests one.

#30 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:29 AM

Thanks Mark! That's some exciting footage!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users