Linux

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:06 PM

I am seriously considering trying Linux when I reload my notebook in the near future. I am vaguely familiar with Mac's OSX and I am told Linux is similar.

Any sound advise before I take the leap?

Or, reasons why I should not take the leap?
(Aside from program compatibility. I don't care about that. As long as I can surf the Net and maybe run PhotoShop / Dreamweaver or good equivalents that's about all I use the notebook for these days anyway.)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:49 PM

Well, I took the plunge tonight and other than needing to jump through some hoops to get my wireless card working I am loving this!

If you think the desktop effect (3D Aero and all that stuff) is cool in Windows Vista you NEED to Google "Linux Beryl" and/or check out this video.

Talk about eye candy... And all for free. :D :D :D

sig_admin.png

#3 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:47 AM

How's the performance JR? I would think it would be better over Vista or XP.

Did you have any trouble with the DVD/CD-R driver?
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:00 PM

I can't believe how much faster everything works than XP, including boot time. Supposedly not needing to defrag concerns me. I understand where both camps (those who say it doesn't need it and those who say it does) are coming from. But, I'll be keeping an eye on how things are as far as speed over time.

Honestly, I haven't tried to burn anything yet. I did just try a DVD after reading this and it says I need a certain plugin to play it. I'll mess with that later, but I don't imagine it will be too hard to get going. Just like on a Mac, all software (packages), including 3rd party, are all at a mouse click from within the add/remove menu or Synaptic. I've already installed quite a bit of "stuff". LOL

The only real problem I've come across so far is that I spend way too much time "playing" with my work spaces making them spin around and making windows explode and stuff like that to get any real work done. :lol:

sig_admin.png

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:20 PM

Okay... I'll admit... I Googled half the day away trying to get VLC or MPlayer to work with DVDs. :(

I ended up finding the answer in the unofficial Ubuntu Wiki...
Ubuntu:Feisty Fawn Wiki - DVD Playback
It ticks me off a little because I had "Totem" on the system all along. I didn't even need to mess with VLC or MPlayer. :lol:

Oh well... Once I found what I needed it took 60 seconds to fix and worked like a charm. I'm watching Primos Truth 3 as I type. :lol:

sig_admin.png

#6 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:13 PM

That's the key, JR. Knowing where to find the info and the resulting software required to fix the problem is way more then half the issue. The good old 60 sec. fix works again. Er, once you knew what it was... been there done that.

Glad it worked out for you. I think you may have pushed me to look at LINUX again.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:02 PM

Charles,

I am blown away at just how "user friendly out of the box" this is compared to Linux of the past I was vaguely familiar with. Even now, I wouldn't recommend it to a total novice because it's a sink or swim deal. (Either put the work in to learn it or you'll be pulling your hair out.) But, if anyone likes having to roll up your sleeves and doesn't fear a command line it's actually kind of "fun".

So far, I have been able to convert all my .m4p (iTunes) music files to .mp3. (Yeah, I think it's against an agreement. But, I bought the music and it is only going to be me playing it on my Linux box! So, please do ask me if I care. :no: ) Banshee music player can do virtually anything iTunes can and it even looks the same. I hear there's even a module out there somewhere to access the iTunes music store on a Linux machine. But, I do my downloading on the desktop. So, I doubt I'll try it.

I've been waiting for the "oh crap" moment since installing and I had it last night. I curled up with the laptop last evening and went to fire up my Zondervan Pradis Bible Study software and... uh... It wasn't there! (Duh! LOL) That software is my everything nearly every night. It's hundreds of books in one place... I always have King James, Amplified, NASB, and Strongs all running so I can cross-reference. I couldn't even imagine cracking open each one of those books and sitting them on my lap every night trying to cross-reference. (It's the reason I bought the software in the first place!) So, needless to say, I was ready to re-install Windows then and there. (It was late. I was tired. I wasn't thinking straight.) I decided to sleep on it and somewhere during the course of the night while sleeping (I'd like to think it was inspired) I realized I should search the Linux Repositories for "Bible". Lo and behold, about half a dozen Bible study utilities showed up! I grabbed "GnomeSword" as it sounded cool. To my shock, it looked identical to my Pradis software (which I paid $100 for!!). I had to download the KJV module as well as Strongs. But, now I have essentially the same software running on Linux and, like virtually everything else, it was free!

Yep, I am soooo happy. I'll be listening to Christian Contemporary while reading from the Good Book tonight... The same, but different. :D

Next up is work... I've already found I can do virtually everything with Gimp as I can with PhotoShop. So, I'm good there. But, I do need to find DreamWeaver and Flash replacements. (Which I'm sure exist... And, will also be free! :D :D :D )

sig_admin.png

#8 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:14 PM

I seem to have a decent DreamWeaver replacement web editor in a program called Amaya. It seems a little buggy, but it's doing what it should do for the most part. In a pinch, it will suffice. But, I see myself just editing the code more often than anything if I have to "work" on the laptop. Oh well. It's really the only software in this deal I've encountered so far that hasn't been a really pleasant surprise.

By the way, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and a few other Linux distros have live CDs. Anyone here with a CD burner and broadband can download and try it from the CD before installing anything. :)

sig_admin.png

#9 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:01 AM

I was Googling some things here and came across this video...

Now, I don't know this guy from Adam. So, he could be wrong for all I know. (I'll check into it.) But, what he is saying is that Microsoft's licensing agreement has changed under Vista. He claims that you can only load Vista 2 times, period. I will not be continuing with Microsoft if this is, in fact, true. I've had to reload my main desktop no fewer than 4 times since it was purchased. (Everything from crashes to hard drive and various hardware swaps have been reasons.) I'm all for anti-piracy. But, this is too much.

sig_admin.png

#10 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:02 AM

Jer so what was the cost of the program? I am getting sick of the vista on my daughters computer and the xp is ok but was thinking of changing also
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#11 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:06 AM

Jer so what was the cost of the program? I am getting sick of the vista on my daughters computer and the xp is ok but was thinking of changing also

FREE!

The OS is free.
Virtually all of the software in the repositories is free.
Even ordering a disk (if you can't download and burn one yourself) is... FREE!

It will take ~6 weeks to get a stamped copy unless you go to Amazon.com and pay a couple bucks to get it rushed. Personally, I burned a copy and also ordered 3 free copies. (For some reason, my desktop won't boot from a burned CD, only a stamped one. Yes, I need new drives. LOL) I plan to pass them around since you can boot from the CD to try without actually installing.

Linux has really remained all about open source. (Meaning the community of geeks who use it contribute to development of projects and pass along their work for the good of the community.) If you ever do run into anything that isn't free regarding Linux, you should head to Google. There is almost always a title that does the same thing and is being freely distributed.

There are tons of distributions (or "versions") out there, but I suggest Ubuntu or Kubuntu Linux for new users. They're just "easier" out of the box than most. Naturally, since we're dealing with open source (FREE) software there really isn't a "tech support" in the traditional sense. You're going to need to rely upon community (forum) based support from other users. Much like when folks have questions about hunting, they come here and are rarely let down, the same is true of the various Linux forums on the Net. The Ubuntu distribution has also gone above and beyond many with their own documentation. Between that and the community there shouldn't be much, if anything, that you can't figure out.

If you would ever find yourself in absolute need of running a Windows-only application there is also a project known as Wine which allows one to do so with many titles. Yes, Wine is free as well.

There's really only one last cool thing about Linux I'd like to leave you with...

IT'S FREE! :lol:

sig_admin.png

#12 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:26 PM

I watched that video and the license change comment REALLY REALLY TORQUES ME!!!

I have been continually upgrading my computer since 1998. And now I get one upgrade reinstall and then I have to BUY THE SAME COPY OF THE SAME SOFTWARE BECAUSE I CHANGED A COMPONENT THAT REQUIRED REINSTALLING THE OPERATING SYSTEM?

IMO, this is a bigger ripoff than when MS didn't fix ME came out with XP and just waited for folks to buy it because they had no choice. Even then XP ditched some hardware and didn't support it. (PCI cards, Printers, scanners... ) At least if you had to bite the bullet and reinstall XP a couple of times to get the right hardware combos YOU COULD. Now it seems if you can't get it right the first time you have one more shot then it's back to buy another copy :curse:
Posted Image

#13 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:40 PM

Got my discs today in the mail loaded it and to my surprise NO hickups with any of the hardware devises as of yet sound disc drive internet everything is running good now if I can remember my security code for the wireless router to get that in and use my internet instead of the neighbors LOL but Ill get that taken care of tonight just misplaced the code is all no problem with the OS

Posted Image

#14 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:04 PM

If it's a Linksys, type 192.168.1.1 in your browser. ;)

sig_admin.png

#15 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:12 PM

Jer its a Belkin that I bought at best buy MIMO supposed to be long range I pick it up out in the yard and anywhere in my yard basically

another thing I just found on here is that if you use any instant messengers such as yahoo, aim, ICQ, etc you only have 1 list up and anyone that is on it has example aim the little running man and yahoo has the smiley next to it so you can tell what messenger its connected to but not have a bunch of messengers running it combines the platforms into one messenger

Edited by irinman2424, 08 September 2007 - 05:25 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users