• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:41 AM

Ok Ok Ok I know some, most and possibly all here are not very enthused about crossbows. I have a problem that is not going away soon. It is age and mistreatment of the old bod. I just cannot shoot a conventional bow recurve or compound due to shoulder and neck problems. I feel bad about having to go to a crossbow after hunting with a bow since the 50's and shooting in all sorts of archery competitions for nearly that long.

PA like many other states allows a person with physical disabilities to hunt in archery season with a crossbow after jumping through some medical hoops.

Hey a crossbow may allow me to enjoy to my current ability the special joy of hunting with bow and arrow. It is tough to admit that one has limitations but age and some disrespect for the body does that to a person.

I looked at two different types of crossbows. A couple of them using compound technology and one (excalibur) using stick bow technology. I was impressed with the excaliber and its much simpler technology which seems to get some great arrow speeds and at least on the surface be much easier to maintain its tune.

Anyone have any experience with crossbows?
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:42 AM

I'd try and PM Vic if I were you. He has quite a bit of crossbow experience.

A less expensive option if you already have a bow, would be installing the Draw-Loc device on it. I believe Tom Scheland has tried these. That is of course if this is a viable legal alternative in PA. I don't know if it is.

Sadly, some people seem to automatically assume someone is illegally using a crossbow whenever they see one.
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:30 AM

Thanks Leo I didn't know about vic's crossbow experience but have already contacted RicF and am waiting on a reply from him.

As you can surmise I have been trying to be discreet in my inquirys up to this point but have not got very far by doing that. So I went public.

I am not sure if PA allows a draw lock device for a disabled person or not and will pursue that thought.

Many thanks.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:08 AM

Paul, here in Missouri, a Draw-Lock device is held in the same category as an Xbow. It is a bow that is held in the drawn position by a locking device. That is how Mo. looks at it. Check with your states regs. Don't feel alone bud. A Xbow keeps me in the woods archery season.

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:43 AM

In Ohio crossbows are legal and you don't have to qualify to use them as archery equipment. Now that said I don't have any particular negative view on them and if you can't shoot any other style archery equipment and then this is a great alternative to be out there having the enjoyment of the mystical flight of the arrow. ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:08 PM

I dont have any issues with cross bows. their just another tool to use for harvesting deer & turkey. fear not, you'll get no heckling from me. I also think the whole peanut gallery of people crying about crossbows to be rediculous. they have no great advantage to a compound bow other then the fact that its held at full draw mechanically. you can mount a red dot to a regular bow too, just look at the cabelas catalog sometime.

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:22 PM

I know them quite well as I sell them and also my father was forced to switch to one a couple years ago. I can tell you that in PA, once you obtain your physically disabled hunter permit there is supposedly no going back. You can not ever hunt with a bow again. (How the PGC would know, aside from a warden stopping you, is beyond me. But, it's the rule.) I can also tell you that there are currently 2 game management units in PA that allow the use of crossbows during archery season by all hunters. (You will need to check the regs book for their numbers as I forget off hand.)

As to crossbows themselves, Excalibur makes an excellent crossbow. I tend to recommend TenPoint to folks in your situation, however. This is because, as I have come to find, cocking a crossbow is no easy task. (I, myself, threw my back out once drawing one carelessly when I was perfectly able-bodied.) Therefore, a crankable cocking aid is strongly recommended for anyone who is looking to move to a crossbow out of physical disability / necessity, in my opinion. Many TenPoint models have the crank device built right in. They are the Rolls Royce of crossbows, in my opinion, while Excalibur is the Ferrari. In your situation, I definitely recommend the "luxury vehicle"! Excalibur does sell a crank cocking aid, but it does not attach to the crossbow. It is carry along side accessory the same as the Horton cocking aid. TenPoint comes with a lifetime warranty, the best cranking device, and you will not be disappointed with the quality or performance.

That's my two pennies...

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#8 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:34 PM

Yes RicF should be very helpful as well PA.
Posted Image

#9 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:31 AM

PARR, I was recently in my local bow shop and we were discussing crossbows and he brought up Parker. They have a set up, not sure which one, that includes the works. Ready to hunt type set-up. It includes a case, 2 different cocking aids, scope, bolts, etc. Not sure of it's quality or reliability, but it sounded like a pretty good deal. Might be worth checking out and giving a look see.
Posted Image

#10 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:46 AM

As with many of the others, Parker makes a good crossbow. Unfortunately, the crank cocking device is still a bulky carry along item rather than a built in feature. :(

sig_admin.png

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:06 AM

I have already handled, read fondled both the Parker and the Excaliber. I am in the look see mode to get my hands on the Ten Point and even others before I plunk down the amount of cash it takes to make one of these puppies mine.

Wayne yes I am aware that many crossbows come either as a bow only or a package deal.

My unanswered questions are:

Do I need a crossbow that shoots at or near 300 FPS or would a lighter draw weight be adequate.

Does anyone make a left handed model or an either handed model. I am cross dominate being right handed and left eye dominant and have shot rifles left handed all my life.

Being so new to these bows my learning curve is rather steep.

#12 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:52 AM

Some clarifications... Crossbows can be used by all during archery season in WMU's 2B, 5C and 5D.

In PA, 125 lbs. is the minimum legal draw weight of a crossbow. (200 lbs. is the max.) Honestly, I would go no lower than 150. It's been my experience that crossbow bolts need to pack more kinetic energy than an arrow from a compound, for example, in order to punch a good hole through game. Since most bolts are around the same weight without much wiggle room (many crossbow manufacturers will require a 125 grain broadhead, for example) It is indeed desired to at least be in the neighborhood of 300 f.p.s.

Most crossbows I have dealt with have ambidextrous stocks, safeties, and scope rail adjustments. (Even the ones with thumb-hole stocks.)

sig_admin.png

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:24 PM

Thank you Jere I know that the Parker and the excalibur both seem to be shootable either handed. The ten point with its built in crank was a concern as to whether it would be shootable from the left side.

Thanks for the info on the draw weight too. It dovetails pretty much to my thinking also. I know I am going to need a cocking device then too. That is unless I get BoneCollector to come along to do my bow and haul in the piles of game.

Seriously You guys help is getting me all inthused about getting out there again and sling an arrow or two. The prospect of getting back into archery season has brought my spirits up considerably.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 31 July 2007 - 01:25 PM.

#14 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:27 PM

Don't even think about it. "Just do it!" (Insert Nike Commercial Here:)

A TenPoint can be fired either way just fine.

I don't know how you hunt, but one of the things my father quickly learned is that cocking a crossbow by hand or with a rope cocking aid while up in a treestand is not easy! Having a crank cocking aid really shines in that scenario whether you're able-bodied or not.
In case you haven't noticed, I really recommend a crank. :lol:

sig_admin.png

#15 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:58 PM

The only advise I have for you is do not use your left eye and hold xbow right handed. As Frank Jr learned one broken and one cracked tooth later. But otherwise they are a lot of fun to shoot. I never got much range past 35 yards out of my Horton. But I use mine late season when it gets really too cold to draw a bow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users